XboxEra Community Hangout |OT10| Insert Catchy Quip Here

7 Likes

To be honest, these outlets repeated what the devs told them without questionning the claims. That’s their only fault as they 100% should have questionned them.

It was suspicious from the get go as some who had the knowledge have said that this supposedly superior SSD was BS. And we saw after launch when studying the game that dimensions are loaded at the same time as the level itself, it was just hidden to the player but could be called at any time so the jumping between dimensions was almost instant. So we knew it was just a matter of loading assets and not speed of the SSD.

I still want to see the difference though with some mid to low end PC, if there’s any, and at what point the RAM or speed of data transfer can impact gameplay.

10 Likes

At the end of the day it’s just marketing. PS5 SSD is Sega Blast Processing.

5 Likes

Ratchet and Clank on a regular hard drive? Ha! Yeah right. Next you’ll be claiming that the mighty Godfall would run on last gen consoles.

5 Likes
9 Likes

Facts indeed, and in fact there was a studio head that claimed the “exclusive technology” being used is little more than what they were doing on PS3/360 and was effectively a well-hidden load screen.

I brought this up here in fact in our Digital Foundry OT and certain vocal individuals in that thread tried to claim to have more information than the founder of Traveller’s Tales or individuals who actually write code for a living (not 1:1 of course, but having to learn to optimize for 1000s of devices is still in the same ballpark).

All I know is: if the PC version doesn’t even require a HDD, then there are some folks on here that owe the rest of us an apology :wink:

To a greater point, there’s a discussion to be had here about journalists in the industry and the inherent lack of knowledge that’s actually required, and so are often more than mouthpieces (in some cases, selectively so), especially in regards to the stories around technology/development. By having at least a semblance of knowledge around development, it leads to journalists being able to question PR speech and call out those that might disinform consumers… the same as we see in most other industries (political journalists sure as hell know a lot more about policy and how to position themselves to politicians a hell of a lot better than the majority of games’ media).

15 Likes

LOL that SSD crap Sony said from the very beginning was bullshit. Only people with no knowledge of how computer works would believe that crap in the first place.

1 Like

Didn’t the ff16 director use the same ssd talking point on why it’s exclusive :sweat_smile:

3 Likes

If not for those fuckers at the CMA we could have had Diablo 4 on Game Pass next week, not to mention a shitload of CoD games.

Meh!

10 Likes

Sheesh, I had forgotten about this ad.

2 Likes

Max Payne 4 for me.

Yeah. Square was saying the same BS talking points that Sony was doing. Only possible on PS5 SSD LOL.

Ohh man, don’t remind me. Them fuckers screw us gamers.

4 Likes

Some are guessing that Fable will be shown. :man_shrugging:t5:

3 Likes

i remember Forspoken devs had similar claims

lol

7 Likes

https://twitter.com/DMC_Ryan/status/1663724122751537153

3 Likes

You’re not getting me. Will maintain hype.

1 Like

3 Likes

This thing requires a ps5 to be turned on.

Yes. Using handheld devices to stream from a Playstation or Xbox isn’t anything new. I think it would be safe to wager though that most people aren’t interested in doing that, hence why I think it will be pointless for most users. But, it’s a peripheral targeted at a specific group, not a device meant to challenge the Switch or Steamdeck. At least, I hope that’s not their intention, because that would be incredibly foolish and a waste of time, money and engineers. :smile:

Wait, what is that? And don’t say a Series S, as that TV would need to be a 140 inches to make the S look that small

1 Like