Xbox Wire: Xbox Series X|S are the only next gen consoles to have full RDNA2

I dunno if it is really that simple. The issue devs are having seems to be based on the dev kit software being more complex to work with (as it now targets XSX/XSS/PC/mobile all in the same environment). DX12U helps integrate these GPU features (and others that DX12U exposes on its own) across these platforms, but it is totally different than the XDK (Xbox Dev Kit) environment. That seems to be the reason for the slightly behind schedule stuff.

It might be that MS had to wait for DX12U to get more finalized before dev kits could go out and be updated though, and DX12U might have had to wait for AMD to finalize some stuff for RDNA2 features first. I’m thinking AMD def was behind the curve on VRS though and I bet PS5 doens’t have it as a result, where MS rolled their own VRS tech.

Xbox should shine once the GDK dev environment kinks are sorted though. :slight_smile:

The amount of damage control people are doing on this particular topic is mind boggling. This definitely hit a nerve with fanboys.

Anyways, this is a great move for Xbox for the longevity of the console’s life span. I can’t wait to hear the tell all on launching the Series X, MS used game theory to a tee with the rumors of them sending 12 TF RDNA 1 machine as devkits while they were waiting for the real devkits of 12 TF RDNA 2. I believe that’s why every ‘insider’ was miseld on the specs of the machine and reported ps5 to be more powerful.

10 Likes

I mean it should have been obvious to most.

The PS5 was originally slated for 2019. Most of the chipset was finalised ages ago well before RDNA2 was a thing/finalised.

That’s why Sony has had to come up with their own versions/implementations of some of those features.

So Microsoft can say Full RDNA2 because it’s all the exact specific features they’re using. Sony can’t say full because for example, their RT implementation is their own. RDNA2 I believe uses DXRT.

14 Likes

To put it lightly , many a feather has been ruffled by this news. As an xbox fan i am ecstatic that MS has gone back to the OG Xbox/360 way of thinking with hardware. Really powerful monster of a box to game on. Now i just can’t wait to see what these 23 (and counting) studios will do with all this tech gamewise.

7 Likes

Worst kept secret since Lockhart and Anaconda.

But it was our fault, right? The Illuminati Xbox Discord server.

:rofl:

14 Likes

They are in constant denial.

They should ask Sony these questions.

1 Like

Xbox and PlayStation walk into an AMD bar:

Waiter: Hello gentleman, can I take your order?

Xbox: I’ll take the RDNA 2 Chef’s special! VRS, DRX, SFS, Mesh Shaders. The whole lot! And some fries!

Waiter: (to PlayStation): And you sir?

PlayStation: …Can I have some water please?

8 Likes

Finally - i could have a use of this sentence.

“I have informed you thusly”

• by Sheldon Cooper

ElcRrm4XEAMhKYT

2 Likes

The spin on certain other sites is making me dizzy! :rofl:

5 Likes

Did Xbox Era discord do this too? /s

3 Likes
3 Likes

Just like Github the answers have been their all along but Sony faithful refused to see it

Friendly reminder:

Whilst the github leak certainly seems to be bearing out, let’s all try to refrain from console war rhetoric. As a consumer of video games, the games are all that really matter.

Just bear that in mind instead of constantly handing out ‘L’s’ to folks on Twitter and so on.

11 Likes

6 Likes

I did see a tweet by Tom that it remains to be seen what this will mean. But if this is a significant as we think , at some point we should see the differences. I’m sure DF will show us then.

PS5 doesn’t have confirmed (and thus assumed as absent) following capabilities:

• VRS
  • Mesh Shader
  • Sampler Feedback
  • ML int4 & int8 processing

So that is half of the features missing unless Sony wants to clarify. Though even into the direction of Digital Foundry they stay silent about it.

We talk about capabilities not how they are implemented!

4 Likes

You won’t see it early. Xbox dev kits went out much later than PS5 ones and aren’t as mature.

As the generation wears on though, you’ll see bigger and bigger differences.

3 Likes

About the lack of mesh shaders here is the proof

3 Likes

For further discussion I think we have to define what somebody means by “dev-kit” because it has two sides:

a) HW: I do not think MS was ever behind in hardware. An evidence for it was how early pre-production SKUs were in the momes of people

b) SW dev-kit: Xbox/MS supports 2 major dev kits now which is still XDK and GDK. XDK is mature but may have missed the latest features available on HW. GDK is a new set of APIs that streamlines development over Xbox One, Xbox Series and PC. That SW dev kit is indeed in a non mature state and may cause problems in development.

So please guys be more specific what dev-kit you actually talk about. Thx.

8 Likes

Certain tech youtubers are saying it’s superior to amd’s implementation of mesh shading, which is hilarious.

5 Likes