Xbox Wire: Xbox Series X|S are the only next gen consoles to have full RDNA2

Yep, the entire statement is a comparison so the only discussion involved would be about the PS5 and it’s lack of advanced RDNA 2 features.

What is so ridiculous is EVERYONE is trying to make excises for Sony saying “well they have their own custom solution” for these. How do these people know that? They are just assuming that to try and cape for Sony.

If Sony had these advanced RDNA2 features they would have mentioned them in their Wired articles or Cerny presentations instead of talking about SSD and Audio 90% of the time.

It does not take a rocket scientist to figure out that Sony is barely talking about their GPU and that is because it is much less powerful and now we know less advanced then the competition.

Sony is presenting a less powerful, much larger console for the same price as Xbox, as we saw in 2013 if the roles were reversed Xbox would get crucified over that.

9 Likes

Exactly this. Sony has had plenty of opportunities to mention whether they have the full RDNA 2 features but they haven’t and they haven’t got back to DF either when they directly asked about them. The only logical conclusion is because the PS5 lacks them.

Also, yes, the PS5’s GPU does have customisations and we know what they are: It is in relation to IO and audio, you know the things they spent an awful lot of time talking about in their GDC presentation. There is not going to be a moment any day now that Cerny pulls a rabbit out of the hat in terms of any significant further customisations we don’t know about already.

5 Likes

It’s literally the inverse of 2013 with none of the backlash about the PS5’s cost or performance. It’s more than a little disappointing to see the hypocrisy in so many of the vocal corners that skewered Microsoft in 2013.

13 Likes

Yep, Xbox gets held to a much different standard then Sony does, to the point the narrative winds of the entire gaming community always seem to shift to whatever Sony does better at any particular time.

4 Likes

What if I tell you what to drop your 299 on rather than 500, and keep your 200 bucks for games? As this is more about the Xbox Series S than the X. These features are really handy to close that gap in fidelity especially at a lower resolution :). Sorry just got home from work, and this news really made the Series S a big contender for me. Although it was rumored for a while, that it would be a lot better than the “Gamers®” gave it credit for. :slight_smile:

If Sony had VRS, they would be considered RDNA2. AMD has long said that RDNA2 was about RT, perf/watt and VRS as the tentpole features. We know from Rosario Leonardi (Principle Graphics Engineer at Sony) that PS5 lacks 1 of these features. Sony has confirmed the first two, but not VRS.

If Sony had VRS, there is no way they would hide it. They are at a compute disparity as is so ceding even more ground on how that plays among consumers/press makes zero sense.

So yes, it isn’t DX-only, but it does seem to be XSX-only as far as consoles go. Note too that MS uses its own patented VRS tech in XSX. So if AMD considers their VRS tech to ‘count’ XSX as a true and full RDNA2 GPU, then they would likewise say the same for PS5. I they did feel PS5 was ‘full RDNA2’, I’d imagine we woulda hear AMD issuing statements by now pushing back.

As for mesh shaders, Sony has their primitive shaders as is. They seem an evolution from earlier GE pipeline, whereas mesh shaders are a full replacement of said pipeline and are more programmable. I think Sony’s GE tweaks are already known as of March.

1 Like

Yeah, I think it was cost and wanting to sell many consoles quickly bad possible.

I think any company would kill to have Playstation customers. They never question their choices, always support and do free marketing for them.

I mean the fact that the reason a cluster f* like the ps3 made go through a hard time not because the console didn’t sell but because even at 500-600 dollars they still lost a fuckton of money speaks volumes to what is a failure to them.

10 Likes

I mean didn’t the Sony engineer got confused on what was public information and confirmed ps5 didn’t have VRS, rpm for int4 and 8 nor mesh shader a while back?

I know that people tried to sweep that under the rug but it’s super clear.

The one custom implementation that ps5 has is the RT, which is also crystal clear it’s not the exact same hardware as the one in rdna2, despite following the same principles, on the wording alone (not to mention at least one dev explicitly saying so)

3 Likes

I don’t think he was confused so much as just transparent. He said no ML stuff and justified saying that since it was known PS5 GPU was Navi-based as is. He then later deleted the tweet saying that. This was around same time he DM’d Gavin saying PS5 was middleground b/t RDNA1 and 2 and he followed that up by clarifying that PS5 was missing 1 RDNA2 feature. He didn’t specify what feature was missing, but AMD cites 3 major RDNA2 features and they confirmed the other two, with VRS being the odd man out.

Where did you get the idea the RT implementation was different? Got source info on that?

1 Like

By confused I meant about what was public info not the capabilities of the hardware.

I think he was transparent but thought he wasn’t stepping in any nda but he was.

Regarding of the RT implementation, the wording has been weird from the start, in the road to ps5 video Cerny says for example its a custom rt implementation based on the same strategy as the upcoming rdna2 gpus.

But what is the same strategy? It could be as simple as putting the rt cores in the tmus, so they can be executed in parallel with the CU jobs, even if the internal hardware implementation is completely different.

And about the differences a dev on reset era talking specifically about performance on both consoles he said that while it’s true that SX has more RT cores than ps5 the biggest performance gap in RT was because SX were much more efficient to traverse and search the bhv structures.

Adding the weird wording from Sony, the fact that rdna2 is very late to when Sony first had devkits and the very likely possibility that the rt cores are more efficient on SX I really don’t see how they can be the same hardware (unless that is super driver/api dependent but in that case I would expect both to perform roughly the same)

I don’t think he was stepping on any NDA. It isn’t NDA’d to say that Navi has no ML inference. It isn’t NDA’d that PS5 uses Navi. It’s just putting those two logical steps together means PS5 lacks ML and that implies PS5 is weaker than XSX in that area. Guessing that wasn’t a welcome thought to share all over the internet for his bosses or PR ppl.

Hadn’t heard anything about RT on XSX being more efficient. Who was the dev on RE?

I think sony has some really dedicated fans like apple does.

5 Likes

The wording is extremely important. “Same strategy” not “same architecture” meaning software based, shader based.

So if it has dedicated RT, where are the metrics then?

Also PS5 is not Big Navi 21 but Navi 10. Github was here but they closed their eyes.

2 Likes

I do think it’s hardware based, their wording has been weird but that much is confirmed.

But I think the hardware might be outdated compared to what is shipping with rdna2 and not as efficient.

1 Like

I understand that you think that but have you anything solid to back it up to prove it is hardware based with dedicated cores?

If it is hardware then where are the datas and metrics to prove the RT capabilities? It is why the wording has been made on purpose. Cerny carefully picked these words. Not for nothinf.

I’m eagerly awaiting for DF to make a teardown of the console.

Sony confirmed was hardware based RT.

Sony officially confirmed it was hardware based, and while in the games shown thus far there are significant cuts in quality compared to what you see on a 2060 for example, the results are still way beyond what even a 1080ti would achieve in software only.

Where? Can you bring the link please? Did they bring datas or metrics? What are their perfs?

“There is ray-tracing acceleration in the GPU hardware." -Mark Cerny