Xbox Series X & S - Reviews

I’m at the point where I’m not sure it matters what Xbox has or doesn’t at launch. They could literally have 5 AAA exclusives and it would be spun as a negative in some way, Last gen the argument was you don’t buy a console for launch titles you buy it for its potential. This time it is completely reversed.

Gamepass is not a Trojan horse to sell Xbox it’s the other way round, Xbox is an entry point to gamepass alongside PC and mobile.

What will happen in 2022 and onwards when the absolutely massive XGS are pumping out huge titles…straight into gamepass…what will the narrative be then?

6 Likes

Then it will be that Xbox is anti-competitive and didn’t earn their success.

2 Likes

Oh and there will be a lot of turncoats…

1 Like

I’d rather have a more complete, feature rich console at launch that I know I’ll be playing for years opposed to one that has a couple of exclusives of consequence at launch and clearly has a lot of curious issues surrounding it…

Just me though.

6 Likes

Think of it like this.

Gamepass is the centre piece. Xbox is a way to play gamepass games. PS5 is a centrepiece that plays games.

MS momentum continues to build, all it will take now is 1-2 killer games to push it over the edge.

1 Like

This is not a Review per se, but a quick showing of a Series S running (it is in Portuguese, though).

• Monster Hunter: World running on the Series S
    • It is the One S version running via Backwards Compatibility;
    • 60 FPS with no frame drops;
    • 7 seconds to load the game.
  • Batman: Arkham Knight running on the Series S
    • Again, it is the One S version running via Backwards Compatibility;
    • 14 seconds to load the game
    • No frame drops even during a Batmobile fight on the rain.
  • Banjo Kazooie running on the Series S
  • Quick Resume works the same way it does on the Series X. 6 seconds to go back to Monster Hunter, and another 6 seconds to go back to Batman;
  • Dirt 5 running on the Series X
    • 120 FPS mode;
    • 10 seconds to load a race.

4 Likes

You know what I’m fed up with…every little tiny thing with Xbox is blown up into a massive deal. Pop in with Dirt 5 early gameplay becomes a huge talking point. Yet PS5 show same footage running on their system with exact same pop in and nothing…literally nothing.

Xbox previews months before release show one feature not working in one isolated case…meltdown. Yet PS5 has some very weird stuff not at launch, like being able to use an external drive to store games on,nada…silence…

I like positivity. Both systems are absolutely great and will deliver superb next gen experiences. They are even suitably different so as to offer some great choice for people. Yet all we get is every little minor issue blown up and frankly it tires me out. I don’t even read where this stuff happens anymore yet see it repeated on Twitter and have to unfollow people even those I want to follow because they end up dragged into or commenting on this nonsense.

Why is it like this? Sony seem able to have flaws without it becoming a deluge of negativity on the internet. Why can’t people just be positive and happy that both companies have done a superb job and delivered different systems that excel at different things?

Honestly perhaps I’m just getting old but the constant cycle of seeing people try to talk everything down is so utterly draining of excitement. Please just stop.

7 Likes

It’s not just console warz. This entire point of yours is so broad spectrum as it applies to seemingly everything, now. From toys to cars to phones to politics or anything that can divide us. More and more, people seem to be drawn to widening that division like catnip!

I’ve read a lot of [peer reviewed] theories, and most seem to lean towards marketing and psychology being used to enhance that negativity because human nature often leads us to remember negativity better; sowing negativity in a competitor last longer and more vividly than “good” news and deeds.

:man_shrugging:

Gets depressing.

1 Like

The reviews have been great. Best hardware + most feature rich system + Game Pass

There is literally no better offering and we still haven’t seen the best of games yet from MS. My backlog is massive so I don’t care for any new ‘launch’ games.

5 Likes

I mean, look at this shit. They reviewed virtually identical, with Xbox having a few more mixed reviews but also several more positive as they sent to many outlets. But God forbid we say “Xbox Great, PlayStation Great” in our thumbnails. It fucking has to be “Avoid Xbox Like Plague, PlayStation GOAT”. And fucking major firms stirring up this shit too. Like, if this was Timdog or Foxy doing this, that’s one thing, but it’s fucking Rooster Teeth.

2 Likes

The Series S isn’t built purely for those who consider themselves hardcore gamers: it’s for those buying their first console, those looking for a second platform, or those returning to console gaming after a long break. It’s a zippy little box that’s managed to tempt me back downstairs to couch and controller. And I just think it’s neat.

4 Likes

I am of the exact same perspective and fully agree.

3 Likes

IF as the new Sony ad suggests their big hitters are indeed next year, Ratchet and Clank, GT7, HZDFW, GOWR - then even I’ll have to say that’s an absolutely killer lineup.

When you think that already they’ve had Miles Morales - that’s 5 huge AAA first party exclusive games in just about a year. Year 1 of console.

Xbox cannot afford to coast through 2021 - get some content even if it means making some deals. Get Halo Infinite out. Because we’ve got to be honest by the end of 2021 the PS5 is going to be absolutely crazy in sales numbers since it doesn’t look like there is a momentum stop.

Hopefully some Bethesda projects can release next year. The long game is good but you’ve got to do something to suggest you can match the output and I’d argue that given that’s been the case since 2016 in the eyes of the average gamer its time to deliver now. Very much agree with Jez Corden on this.

Sony always presents things much better than they are, let’s see how many of those titles actually release at 2021 and how many will be cross-gen because as far as I am aware six months ago everyone was saying how the cross-gen plans of MS weakens the impact of it’s 1st party titles and how this won’t help the sales of the console. Now apparently everyone forgets that a PS4 version of Miles Morales exists and treat the game as a “true next gen” showcase and a system seller.

The goal posts are moving almost daily now…last week (Demon’s Souls remake) ray-tracing was overrated and a performance hog that apparently a lot of people didn’t even notice, now (Miles Morales) ray-tracing is the future and everyone is floored by how amazing it looks. We are past the point of all this being funny, now it is getting ridiculous and absurd.

3 Likes

Yeah but beyond the nonsense - and accepting that some games might be delayed - that’s a hell of a first year. And we can’t deny that. We know that Sony and Xbox are on different paths but Xbox do need more than just Halo Infinite in that timescale. And something else big is needed. Xbox need games that make those with a PS5 want to sub to gamepass or buy the console or whatever…because mindshare is a thing and there are enough AAA games there on Sony’s list to steal massive chunks of it in the next 12 months Jez is right here we can sit and make all sorts of excuses about XGS and the fact they’ve only been going full throttle since end of 2017 - but your average consumer just wants games.

There is enough studios, enough resource and enough sense to surely have a good roster planned for 2021. That’s a lot of time - considering how Sony are getting their AAA projects pushed through end gen and into next gen I personally think the excuses are up now. They’ve a massive studio roster, huge resources and have barely produced a AAA title in the last 2 or 3 years. If 2021 isn’t at least showing signifcant signs of recovery then I’m with others that questions need to be asked. Not in a nasty way but just in a ‘what is going on’. If Insomniac have managed two games for launch window type period then I fail to see why Xbox can’t deliver a few AAA in the next 12 months considering the studio output thus far.

Agreed. Make Bethesda titles exclusive for the first year at least. The slate ain’t enough for the average consumer.

What do you mean beyond this nonsense? this nonsense from the media creates a narrative that impacts the mindshare at the moment, this is what I was commenting on. And what do you mean accepting that some games might be delayed? having half the games available at 2021 won’t make this “a hell of a first year”.

Also do you have an example of a studio from MS that should have a game out next year? which one do you think had enough time to make a AAA game and haven’t already delivered? because Insomniac hasn’t made a R&C game since 2016 and Miles Morales is actually a Lost Legacy/Last Light spin-off release being sold almost at full price…not to mention that you are comparing new studios creating something from scratch to Insomniac who is an established studio that made two sequels with a lot of mechanics and assets already in place.

1 Like

By nonsense I meant the Sony fan sand shifting stuff that goes on.

But my view is this – Sony have Ratchet and Clank which looks really good, Miles Morales which is a little smoke and mirrors but still a 8-10 AAA launch game, GT7, Ragnarok, HZDFW - all slated within a year of the console. That might be because they held lots of big AAA releases back in normal circumstances - but they haven’t - they just released TLOU2 and GoT. Those are two massive AAA titles and they’ve got seemingly 3 more likely next 12 months. Which is 5.

Yet Xbox haven’t got a Forza with a date, nor a Forza Horizon with a date, nor Fable, nor Everwild and the fact is they haven’t released a big AAA title this year and nor is anything confirmed for next year beyond Halo Infinite. We all know there are reasons for that but do you not see the problem for the general consumer? Xbox has been dogged with this issue of a lack of real large scale first party games for the generation - that’s not unfair either its just the way its been. And you get to the new console period and in the year running up, Xbox have a lot of good projects but absolutely nothing of the scale their competitor is doing. Fine - be fixed at release - but no it still isn’t and only one game was planned and that slipped. And when you look outwards towards the next 12 months you see the studios absolutely with great projects that will address this but still so far away. And nothing to really say ‘yep Fable is the answer’ because we’ve not seen it yet. We’ve not even seen any real next gen Forza gameplay. I agree with all the stuff around Sony fans and their shifting targets and all that and a lot of the positivity is manufactured. But cold hard facts xbox now have 23 studios across 32 or more teams when you include Bethesda. They’ve had some of those studios a couple of years now - is the best they can do to show some brief CGI trailers and vagueness on dates - and when Sony are going to hit the numbers they are across 2020 and then into next gen and 2021 and Xbox are still saying ‘coming soon’ without really showing - I do think its a problem and being an Xbox fan shouldn’t stop us from saying it because I love everything they’ve done with the launch and even the lack of first party isn’t a huge issue but their lack of delivery is a problem and has been for years. The absolute promise of it getting better is there but its undeniable that there is no comparison right now and Xbox have a lot of ground to make up.

Surely across 23 studios there are some games that will be ready for 2021? If not what on earth have they spent the past 3 years strategizing and planning for?

First of all those ideal PS5 release dates are to be seen especially with the corona situation affecting development and as I already said let’s see how many of those are gonna be cross-gen because the average gamers as you pointed out in your previous post want games and if the games are coming to their PS4 I doubt that they even consider to spend 400 euros or dollars for ray-tracing or 60fps. We’ll have to wait and see how cross-gen will affect Sony’s upcoming games/release schedule and of course the sales of the PS5 (and next gen in general which includes the Series S/X systems as well).

I have given you some reasonable examples on why I think it’s still too early to be concerned and you didn’t give any examples of studios that could give a AAA game in the scale of TLOU2 (I imagine this is what you are expecting) at 2021. All the PS5 projects that you mentioned (R&C, Demon’s Souls and Miles Morales) are definitely not in the same league budget wise as TLOU2 yet you expect such games from MS when even Sony can’t match this right now (let’s see first if Ragnarok will be GoW2 or a Miles Morales situation…). New and growing studios releasing AAA games especially in today’s fucked up world of corona is not an easy task, MS doesn’t need games-answers (potentially rushed and filled with crunch) but a polished, quality software line-up that will turn heads. They should focus on doing their best for their platforms and ecosystem and not on what Sony is doing trying to counter it IMO.

Let’s see what Phil has to announce in the next 6 months and then we will worry together about the future of the platform, all those DOOM (well this may be accurate lol) and gloom concerns for MS and rainbows and unicorns hype for Sony are getting really tiring.

1 Like

Yeah but 499 EuropolyMonies is not what most people wish to spend on these things. So they might want "THIRD PERSON ACTION ADVENTURES! With tearjerker stories and award bait "character development"®, most other people do not. They want value for money and little Timmie wants Minecraft and Roblox with Raytracing. I wish gamers and their press would get out of their bubble a bit, they really have trouble relating these days that the “enthusiast” hardware they buy is still a toy first.

3 Likes