Xbox Series X & S - Reviews

2 Likes

Gameplay for series S

1 Like

I think it’s a bit weird tbh… How many TV-reviews are judged based on which tv-series are out?

4 Likes

console reviews are so weird tbh lol

Unlike phones that come out every three months, and these consoles have had much longer time in the air for people to decide on what to go with. But it’s cool to have them, in principle, and great to see their hardware getting good reviews with a general trend of the only con being lack of strong first party new experiences at launch, which is a bummer yes, but as some others have mentioned, not the end of the world as the pipeline for future is extremely packed and launch first party aren’t the only experiences available.

2 Likes

I think the biggest thing you’ll see console gaming culture struggle with, is that this go round (for Xbox at least), the machines are more like buying new GPUs on a PC - the games, OS, pad - it’s all the same.

Attaching some sort of arbitrary score is (excuse the pun) - pointless. Microsoft are slowly, forcefully, changing the mindset. It’ll take time for some folks to catch up.

9 Likes

Ok reviews are great. Can anyone who has tested or knows explain why ACV runs at only 1080p 30FPS on the series S? Don’t care about resolution but 30FPS is not good…

That same feeling of PC-like smoothness plays out in Dirt 5 with the 120Hz mode enabled. The overall visual quality drops to achieve 120fps, but when I’m sliding around corners, the input latency is reduced, and I value that over some mud and snow rendering just that little better on my 4K TV.

It’s that feeling that’s really important with this new Xbox, and I can’t stress it enough. Games feel better. Whether that’s because of load times, better frame rates, or simply the CPU, SSD, and better GPU making things like menus or character changes in games feel instant, a lot of the sluggishness has been removed without developers even having to touch games.

4 Likes

Yes, like most things Xbox does nowadays it is hard for the conservatives to grasp. They want to have their gimmicks, pay extra for the same games, walled in platforms etc.

3 Likes

I think the reviews do show who uses a PC and gets it and who doesn’t.

I found the whole ‘who cares about power without first party games’ argument one of the most stupendously stupid things ever. First party games are pretty redundant in the power argument given you can’t play them on another console. BOTW was an amazing game but nobody was crying over the low powered switch. People making that argument are disingenuous at best…

3 Likes

^^^ Verge’s video review by Tom Warren

1 Like

It’s a very demanding game likely running at the equivalent of PC’s highest, or near highest, settings and the Series S simply just is not a powerful system.

Its GPU is about as powerful as a GTX 1060 6GB, which is actually the recommended GPU for 1080p 30fps at high settings

But that’s a huge issue given MS said the only main compromise was resolution. If at the start of the gen on a large 3rd party you have to lose 4* res and halve the frame rate that’s a problem.

the reviews are GLOWING right now

1 Like

Honestly this is most likely just how it’s going to be for the more demanding games unfortunately. They can market it however they want but the fact is the GPU isn’t capable of putting out 1440p at the same fidelity that the Series X’s GPU struggles to maintain 4K at.

I’ll be extremely surprised if the Series X is averaging close to 4K in this game, likely going to be closer to 1440p 60fps in most instances which means the Series S would struggle with 1080p 60fps if that’s the case. In all likelihood it just couldn’t maintain a stable enough 60fps without significant reductions in fidelity or dropping resolution below 1080p.

I didn’t catch this info before.

When was this shared. Source?

There is a God! Even unpatched, Elite Dangerous runs very well on Series X hardware:

1 Like

Does it really matter anyway with no huge game at launch in the short term not really its the long term that matters the fact that the reviews are highly rated in the 8s and 9s that should be highly commended to the team at Xbox is it a L halo was pushed to next year yes definitely but is it really gonna matter in the end not really you buy a console for the long term and Xbox is gearing up to have a kick ass 9th gen

2 Likes

Great reviews all around.

2 Likes

They would find a bad narrative no matter what though. Last time it was 720p. This time it’s exclusives…

1 Like

The Xbox Series X looks like an Xbox One that swallowed a refrigerator, and runs like an Xbox One that swallowed a Lambo. It’s fast, sturdy, and unobtrusive, its goals and capabilities encapsulated in its brutalist industrial design.

Its contemporary, the PlayStation 5, comes with a futuristic new controller and a space-age console design that looks like an abandoned Epcot pavilion. It looks and feels like a destination, because it is: Sony’s future lives on its latest console. Similarly, the minimalist design of the Xbox Series X speaks to Microsoft’s own ambitions. Behold, the video game equivalent of the monolith in 2001: A Space Odyssey . A big, blunt brick that radiates power.

The Xbox Series X isn’t the home of Microsoft’s gaming universe; it’s just one of many nodes, connecting outward to your phone, your tablet, your computer, or just a different (and cheaper) Xbox. It’s not the place to play video games. It’s a place to play video games — not only from the future, but also from the present and the past.

The Xbox Series X is boring. I wouldn’t have it any other way.

1 Like