Xbox Series X Has Made A Better First Impression Than PS5 So Far

This is the issue when you go for new over refined. It’s all great to bring new stuff to the table but don’t rewrite the fundamentals just because you feel you have to.

I hope my PS5 turns out ok. Might need to extend my warranty.

3 Likes

Yea I would too since ps5 is having more problems than Xbox is

1 Like

Just going to say you’re being really hyperbolic in this thread. Yes launch systems will have issues but to describe things surrounding the PS5 as half baked is unwarranted. Some people are happier with the PS5, others are happier with the Series X/S. The author of this article will likely have a better experience when he plays Spider-Man instead of one of the lesser reviewed titles.

Growing pains is nothing new for launch on a new system. Anyone who’s owned an Xbox One at launch understands this. Let’s not get carried away here.

1 Like

Sony haven’t really changed there ways with hardware, while they have done a good job using cheap parts to stop the sound issues, there still seems to be some issues, there is a cooling fan lottery with some fans having coil whine and the overall design philosophy of clocking really high to get the performance they want at as cheapest possible, choosing liquid metal is risky it could have unforseen consequences in a mass market device. I dont know what they went with such an intricate design, the fan has lot of surface area and theres more platic and metal then there needs to be. Seems a really odd design to have such a complecated design, a design like the original xbox one would of been better, maybe 2-3cm taller to allow for bigger heatsink + vapour chamber, but sony likely did what they did to save $10 per console. Wrong decision imo.

3 Likes

I have never, ever understood the praise for the PS4 UI. I have never had an easy time navigating it at all.

5 Likes

Depends where you saw the praise,some fans will praise things even if there not worthy of such praise, however the PS4 OS was very swift hopping from tile to tile, it was fast and animation and sound did help, the problem was overall OS design, it were to many unnecessary steps to get to simple things, and multi tasking and loading things made it stutter and stall.

1 Like

The speed was nice, yeah. But the layout, just :face_vomiting:

2 Likes

Hopefully Sony gets those firmware updates out the door quick because it sounds like the console OS came in a little hot. I feel bad for anyone having issues with their new console and hopefully everything gets resolved soon.

I don’t know if I’m crazy or what but it seems like there was a lot more excitement around the Series X at launch. It’s probably just me seeing Xbox focused people being excited but what a turn around compared to the XB1 launch with all the bad shit surrounding the console.

2 Likes

Glad I chose to wait for a revision of the hardware. Let the bugs be ironed out, that sinful design iterated upon, and those overpriced games dropped to pennies on the dollar. Hope the issues are resolved speedily for those impacted of course.

1 Like

Personally, I loved the PS4 UI. Basic, simple, fast, no clutter or an overwhelming amount of crap that I have zero interest in using. When Sony added folders, that made it perfect. Throw all the apps in one folder. Games in another and there’s literally only 5 tiles on the dashboard.

Then above the tiles are the small icons for settings, trophies, etc.

I never liked the Xbox One UI ever. It was too slow, too cluttered and a pain in the ass to navigate it all. I won’t comment on the new Xbox UI as it should easily be an improvement over the Xbox One UI was for me. I will however comment on the PS5 UI as just based on videos, holy crap, it’s the opposite of what PS4 UI was. Hearing people say it takes like 5 steps to close out a game application compared to 3 steps is ridiculous to me. Not being able to “hold down” the PS button to go the dashboard also sounds bad to me.

With that said, I won’t know how either actually is until I get the consoles which could be anywhere between now and the Spring. LOL.

The XSX UI is really snappy! you’re going to enjoy it. The dashboard being cluttered isn’t really an issue for me because all I have in my group thingy is my game folder pinned so all I have is the little row of icons up top then scroll down once to access my pinned games.

Absolutely love the Xbox Series X UI, the dynamic background is beautiful and everything is instant. I think it might be the most responsive Xbox UI in its history.

3 Likes

I hope we get game dynamic themes, please give me the Halo one. Actually thinking about it now I’m pretty sure there was a gif of a Halo Infinite picture that looked like a dynamic theme and someone from Xbox did the eye emoji when asked about dynamic themes. Makes me think we’ll probably see it as one of the options :smiley:

edit: found it! this https://twitter.com/Halo/status/1285922545515069441

2 Likes

Nice. Sounds good. Love that there’s folders because like with what I did on PS4, I like to put all the non-game apps in a folder and it can just sit there forever as im never going to use them with a second folder for the games.

When that comes hopefully im changing the theme Pronto the halo infinite cover is just amazing

The PS4 was pretty solid. They still make great headphones.

The current issues have to do with the OS, which is more than likely COVID-19 related. I’m sure I’m the coming weeks, both games and OSes will see some heavy patches coming through.

But it does need to be pointed out that the Xbox was always ahead in OS features. I expect the same this generation. And I do expect the gaming media to not really care about it as much as they should (they didn’t care that the PS4, for years, didn’t support an external drive).

By all means, gamers and writers can go ahead and compare machines right now but I think we’ll see the full capability of both machines in year 2 when it comes to games and OS. That’s where I think the comparisons will reflect the capabilities and potential of both machines in their full lifespan.

Legit surprised to hear that kind of honesty from Tassi

He’s right too, the UI is not good at all. They had the PS4 UI in a really good space and it was 4K, they only needed to tweak it a little. Not start from scratch.

Also yes, the adaptive triggers SUCK at the moment. Having triggers actively fight against you is shit. The haptics are awesome, the adaptive triggers are not. At all.

3 Likes

I have yo disagree a bit here. It seems were ms seemed more bothered with their sdk, Sony had the covid-19 impact in the os instead. I miss my Sony phone, it’s software was miles ahead of even Google’s devices. That said it broke after water damage, even though it should have been ip68 proof, it started leaking in the sim slot, the rubber dried out after mere one and a half years.

Software wise Sony is very competent, I just think the os development we hit like Halo and ms xdk was hit for ms. I’m sure it’ll be fine on half a year, just currently it is not a good look.

Pardon my grammar and spelling I’m ony phone. Heh.

People wanted a new UI despite knowing very well, it would be missing features from the old UI they have been using for the past 7 years. lol

1 Like