Xbox Series X dashboard is confirmed to be running at 4K *Update* Nope, still 1080p

Can’t MS just make it “dynamic”? Like if you are running a game or app it is 1080p, if you aren’t then it is 4K?

Not that it really matters it’s just the UI.

Ryan deleted the tweet btw. /thread

Closing thread until we get actual confirmation.

1 Like

Nope…I win again.

Peasant level 1080 dash confirmed

2 Likes

That’s it. Preorder cancelled!

1 Like

While far from a deal breaker a crisper OS would be very welcome.

1 Like

Slap some VRS on that MS. Make all the text 4K, edges of items 4K, and render the rest at ½ resolution. It’s all about readability and while full 4K would be nice, 4K text may be enough.

They should make it 720p tbh and 7fps

I see a lot of people in here joking about it saying pre order canceled, and some saying about ram savings.

We all know a UI doesn’t make a console, it’s all about the games, right? So no one will realistically cancel a pre order for it.

I know it’s not important to a lot of people. Right, onto the RAM. The saving should be negligible(<0.03%).

I understand that not everyone is used to 4K here as it’s a console audience, but on PC you can really tell the difference between 1080p and 4K UI. It just feels like we are stuck in 2013 with this UI decision.

I wonder what the true reason for this setback is?

1 Like

Wasn’t it upscaled 4K?

Ah well. Yes it would have been nice to have a crisper UI, but they are doing this for a reason and it seems it’s about given devs even more resources, never a bad thing.

The system can easily do it, easily, so this is clearly a decision to help devs and games even more.

Back on the X launch they said they needed 512mb extra memory to support the 4k buffers in the dashboard. In the last minute they decided to give that memory back to the developers and keep the dashboard 1080p.

On SX they optimized the dashboard to consume less memory, but then they reduced the memory reservation by another 512.

Probably they will eventually get to a point to increase the resolution without needing a memory increase, but I imagine that is relatively low priority for them atm. Worth noting that from the leaked GDK notes this extra 512mb they managed to free on SX came from the fast pool memory. Dunno why they were even reserving 512mb from it and not all from the slower pool, but it ultimately did make it a better gaming machine with this move.

Games > 4K Dash. No contest there.

8 Likes

I don’t get why that is so important, as long as it’s sharp, then it will cost far less memory and storage space. All making for a far snappier UI. But I might be biased due to being an Engineer :P.

1 Like

Must be honest, I wish the dashboard was 4K with HDR. Mainly because when im playing a game and press the “X” button to bring up the side bar menu, it looks so freaking crisp and clear but when I click on “home” and it takes me back to the dashboard, it looks dull. It’s not a big deal but if they can upgrade the dashboard to where it uses maybe just a few GB, then im all for it.

1 Like

I don’t really notice the difference of it as it still crystal clear, I would only want 4K HDR enabled so my TV doesn’t have switch to it when booting up a game.

The switching between HDR and SDR is another reason I would want the dashboard to be 4K/HDR. Playing a game on the LG CX OLED and bringing up the menu bar on the left side off the screen during a game, it looks so much better as opposed to when you’re on the dashboard and bring up the menu. It’s so crisp, clear and “pops” if that makes sense.

It’s not an issue that’s major or anything. It’s minor but would be a nice quality of life addition.

Id rather have more memory for games. HDR switching does not bother me

2 Likes