Xbox Lockhart could have a SKU with no controller to sell it at a cheaper price

While I would love to save a few bucks since I already own 4 controllers I imagine the outrage it would cause online XD

(though in the end I think the consumer wouldn’t have a problem with that)

This would be a good way to reduce the price. Alternatively the could bundle it with the One controller instead the new Series controller.

While I love the Lockhart render you’ve used in the banner, expect it to look more like this:

2 Likes

I think you raise a good point. The savings to Microsoft by not including the controller and the space in packaging etc probably wouldn’t make it cheap enough to drop the price as much as consumers would want. Will be interested in seeing how this plays out.

On Era, I was laughed out of a thread when suggesting no controller in the box after the XSX reveal. Look who’s laughing now!

It would most likely just be a customization option during the order process when buying it online, just like buying a PC online. At retail, they would have a normal sku with a controller. Would not be an issue at all and I personally would love this option, would save me money. Should go further than that too, allow me to forgoe things like the HDMI cables etc… I don’t need to be charged money for things I already have.

A control-less lockhart would be the hard drive less 360 arcade of this gen.

2 Likes

The HDMI cable would be 2.1, do people even have that already? Although you don’t need 2.1 for the most part anyway, only for the most advanced features like 4K120, VRR…

Options are great (and so is £249/$249), but if MS does this, they need to get the messaging on point regarding the controller being MIA.

Embrace your Dreams for £249.99. Controller included for £279.

Honestly I’d gladly take a discless and controller-less Series X

I have an Elite Wireles Series 2 Controller and will use that anyway, so I would love to spend less on the console. But I am getting the Series X anyway. But I am really not sure how the general public would react to that.

The last think they need is another, more confusing SKU. The target market for Lockhart are the people least likely to do research or read forums. So they are the most likely to buy the wrong version and find out it has no controller.

This is a terrible idea.

It will be called Xbox Series S upgrade edition. Comes with no controller or cables.

1 Like

If they could release “Lockhart” at $250 without a controller, I would probably buy one for my wife alongside the X for myself (Family room for the Lockhart, X for the entertainment room). They would have to be super conscious of putting “No controller” on the box and/or information stating that all current XOne controllers will work. I also think having their retail partners create bundle packages such as “$250 for Series S but $299 with Controller bundle” or something along those lines would make for an incredibly enticing proposition for consumers.

I think it would be confusing, but I think people will figure it out and I think it would do really well. The “Value proposition” of a “Next Gen” console at that price would out weigh any confusion or frustration from consumers.

I don’t think they’ll do this though. :smile:

1 Like

A €250 Lockhart honestly makes me excited. I’m trying to temper expectations of course.

Aka I’m sorry Timmy, I bought the wrong version edition :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

1 Like

I actually really like that. Might pick it up for my second TV.

Agreed, im going to change it.

I can’t see that. :thinking: