Xbox Game Studios |OT8| Leaving The Drought Behind And Heading For Starfield

Yeah

Luckily the King of Kent finally put a stop to it

1 Like

I was thinking The Show Revolution would make a great game. Apocalyptic dystopian atmosphere no electricity unless you have one of the necklaces. Different factions and armies in the U.S. to fight or run from.

2 Likes

Ahhhh I loved this show!

1 Like

I haven’t watched that show but that does sound interesting and it could make a great game as well.

1 Like

I quite enjoyed Revolution as well. Especially the episode set in an abandoned amusement park… which was really actually abandoned in real life.

As excited as I am for these, how long after 2023 will it be until we get even more - another 4-5 years?

It’s why I would like to see Xbox pick up a few more studios which make these type of 3rd person narrative games such as:

Mihoyo & Garena acquisitions confirmed :stuck_out_tongue:

• 2024 - Fable

• 2025 - Maybe Indiana Jones if it’s third-person?

• 2026 - Gears 6 assuming TC can crank it out

Definitely wouldn’t hurt to have more. Asobo and Square West would lock those kinds of games down.

1 Like

I’m a big Fable fan but I would class it as more of an RPG rather than a narrative action adventure like the others.

Keep forgetting about Indiana. Still interested to see how Perfect Dark ends up like too, it may be over the shoulder like Mass Effect.

Can’t wait for Gears 6 :+1:

1 Like

We see a lot of Incredible shit on MS Studios these days simply because they don’t speak up, journalists have to generate cliques and we see headlines like “Everwild has been rebooted better get cancelled!”, “Perfect Dark loses all its developers!” “Development of Fable does not advance because Playground Games do not know how to make RPG”

It’s annoying and I think it’s not healthy for developers to see these articles and hear that.

In addition, many Playstation Fans on the networks do not stop distorting the words.

While in Reality Matt Booty said Everwild hasn’t been rebooted that was a big word and I can confirm I know people at Rare. Everwild is a systemic game with elements of God Game there are a lot of systems to consider and Rare are experimenting with the systems as they always have new ideas being developed, they have new creatures and you have to find mechanics gameplay for each of them, some are deleted also they are in a phase of experimentation systems (they have already designed the universe) That’s all I can say.

For Playground Games it was a bit the same problem Playground Games created an RPG team from A-Z and creating the systems takes a lot of time. being good or bad, impacting the world, managing economies, buying properties, mini games like fishing, cooking, housing, getting married, recruiting companions… all that kind of stuff take time we are not in scripted and linear games where all the actions are planned by the developers and therefore Fable takes time and that is what the developer meant he left the Studio because the project was too big and too ambitious for him he joined Ninja Theory to work on Hellblade 2 which is a project where they do great things with less manpower but procedural tools. He said Fable has incredible potential but the media say development is going badly.

Undead Labs also make a very ambitious game with a lot of systems, procedural character creation with different characters, perma death, All systems that make a survivor snore at night then it impact the sleep of others who lose morale and no longer have enough energy, disputes between certain survivors and all the emerging narration… these are very complex games to design once again. there was poor management but it seems to be improving for 6 months and the game is progressing. (I don’t think we can call it a catastrophic development)

It Remains The Initiative with Perfect Dark… Overall The Initiative has always been described as an agile Studio that wants to experiment with new ways of developing ambitious games, they are around 50 people in the team and they collaborate with other Studios (Rare (by consulting) , The Coalition, Crystal Dynamics and rumored Certain Affinity… And as Crystal Dynamics took the lead there were Duplicate posts at The Initiation (for example The Lead Designer of The Initiative and the lead designer of Crystal Dynamics) It was therefore difficult to agree and impose his ideas on another developer and some left but the development will not be impacted because their position was double.

I sincerely believe that none of these projects are in development hell. On the other hand, they make very ambitious games based on systems that are far from the usual industry standards. They can create risky games because the Gamepass allows it, they don’t have a set of specifications to sell copies and that’s their greatest strength.

Todd Howard: Before, you might want to make this game, but you had to go to a lot of sales forecasting meetings to finally say to yourself, “I don’t know if we can do this”. Game Pass provides a creative focus for many more types of games that might not otherwise find audiences.

Bethesda are sort of the masters of games with systems like RPGs where their NPCs work in the fields during the day, go to spend their money at the tavern at the end of the day, come home staggering because they have drunk, then they eat and go to bed… during the day they close the door of their house and we can pick the lock, in the evening it is open… If we kill an NPC in front of someone he can send us an assassin who can attack us anywhere and anytime. When we kill the assassin he has an assassination warrant in his pocket that we can read.

In Fallout 4 we could rebuild cities, we had to restore electricity, we could build our own weapons with millions of different combinations, we could cultivate resources in a garden, recruit NPCs, protect the city against a group of raiders which attacks dynamically, the radioactive storms had an impact on the Gameplay and we had to fit in armor to avoid the radiation…

Personally I love system games but I know how complicated they are to design at this AAA scale.

12 Likes

For those interested oblivion deluxe edition is for free through GOG if you have Amazon prime

So I was looking at job listings at Double Eleven to see if they officially started hiring more for their Fallout 76 team (answer: yes, Level Designer) and noticed they added 4 new positions for a RTS being a “major important IP” with a “major partner”. Doesn’t seem to be just a console port (Lead Environment Artist, Level Designer, Lead Character Artist, Lead Texture Artist).

https://www.double11.com/careers/

Impossible to guess but I wonder what is that franchise.

Purely hypothetical but could it be that rumored Project Wormwood (supposed to be a RTS at some Bethesda studio) that @Shpeshal_Nick talked about some weeks ago ?

7 Likes

It must have taken forever to gather all the material to make that Sanctuary build.

Nah It GOT or The Last Kingdom for me

Xbox have Studios that know how to make Open World medieval RPG’s

Heroes & Lost looks like mega flops and won’t work well as games IP

If we are talking about tv series that would translate really well into video games, then Mando definitely is up there. The one that I haven’t really heard others mention is The Vampire Diaries universe. There’s a ton to draw from in that universe with really deep lore, monsters, vampires, werewolves, witches, dark objects, and a huge history dating thousands of years ago so there’s a ton of time periods that it could be set in. Take the teen drama stuff out (though definitely play up romancing options like in mass effect or dragon age), grow the franchise up a bit to mature, you’ve got a spicy game world.

As much as I would like to see Microsoft do a GOT game I would rather see CD Projekt Red do it. Since I feel like a similar format to the Witcher would fit a GOT game better.

The Last Kingdom would be a cool addition though. I could potentially see Ninja Theory or Obsidian work on it.

And I disagree that Heroes and Lost would be mega flops. With Heroes Microsoft could have their own superhero game with unique characters with different background stories and each one with different abilities that are trying to prevent a disaster from happening as well as also fighting against a serial killer who tries to steal other superheroes powers.

And Ubisoft already created a game that was based off of Lost but it felt low budget and could have been done better. I feel like if Microsoft were given the ability to work on a Lost game it would be much better and a higher budget.

Would you like to see survival elements in the RPGs XGS has in development now? Things like having to eat to keep your health normal and not have it drain too fast, having to drink. Or having to find clothing/armor to stay warm/cold in cold or hot temperatures? You’d have to go hunting wildlife and cook the meat at a campfire that you find in the world or have to set up yourself.

RDR 2 among many other games have these elements and I think it’s great, as long as they don’t go overboard with realism. Depending on what Avowed is going for, this could be great for it. Maybe even Fable? Maybe put these features in a separate difficulty mode so that players who don’t want that “hassle” can just play how they want.

I definitely expect Starfield will come with some feature where you have to pay attention to your oxygen or other things, I hope so because it adds to the sense of danger. Thoughts?

Personally I find all of those ‘survival’ aspects to be nothing but a chore. In any game which includes that stuff in a non-optional way, I always make it a priority to negate the effects as much as possible, as soon as possible, removing it completely if I can.

Foe example, in Red Dead Redemption 2 I always had cold & warm outfits stored in Arthur’s saddlebags. I went out of my way to hunt & cook a whole bunch of food every so often, which I could eat periodically & which would give gold core timed bonuses. I washed every few days like clockwork. It all just felt like a waste of time though, like busywork I had to do so I could then go & actually enjoy what were for me the good parts of the game. It would’ve been a much more enjoyable experience overall if I could’ve simply turned off all the requirements to change clothes, eat, wash, etc. I wonder how much of my playtime was wasted on that stuff which I didn’t enjoy but had to do.

It’s always cool when games have more options though, allowing more people to adjust the overall experience to suit their preferences. I’ve got no problem with that stuff being included when it’s all optional & can be toggled on or off. I’m a broken record when it comes to this topic but in my opinion & in this day & age, devs should really be making all these aspects of their games optional with toggles.

1 Like

If they include them as an optional difficulty mode, I’m all for it.

If it’s an RPG, this is the one I want…

4 Likes