Xbox Game Studios |OT5| DOOM posting not allowed. Except for posting about DOOM

It’s totally irrational, but I bet that a lot of people feel how I do in thinking of Deathloop and Ghostwire as games that are kind of pariahs. Yeah when they get on Game Pass it will be good, but no is going to be doing any cartwheels about it. It’s unfair to those games, but they’ve been tainted as first party games by the money hat.

4 Likes

Yep its nonsense

I feel bad for those two games in particular. From Sony’s POV, their big exclusives have turned into IP owned by the competitor that they promote at their own peril. From Xbox’s POV, they are two games taking up the time of their newly acquired first party studios without having any tangible benefit for the ecosystem until at least a year after, by which point the discourse will have run the course.

It’s a genuine shame because they seem like fantastic games. As a multiplatform player, I cannot wait to jump in. But they are in a tough position and its come to the point I kinda wish MS just bought the contracts out and released them for all platforms. That way, they aren’t the bad guys taking away an announced PS5 game, but they can help the games find a wide audience.

That said, once you realize the cost buying out such a contract would take, and how that same cost could be invested into 2 XGSGP games or buying up a studio, it becomes clear why they’ll just wait the year.

8 Likes

I would personally go with some surprise X021 announcement of some second-party AA game from XGS – Publishing for H1’22 and release date for As Dusk Falls for H1’22 as well.

I really doubt they would have something AAA for that term. On the other hand H2’22 will be stacked, but same situation like this year would be a bit annoying.

Of course we will have some third-party console timed ex, but still. They’re just timed unfortunatel, like The Ascent this year, CrossfireX or S.T.A.L.K.E.R. 2 in H1’22 which would a perfect fit for XGS – Publishing (never on consoles before, so no reason to cry).

4 Likes

Unfortunately, but 𝗖𝗿𝗼𝘀𝘀𝗳𝗶𝗿𝗲𝗫 𝘄𝗼𝗻’𝘁 𝗯𝗲 𝗽𝘂𝗯𝗹𝗶𝘀𝗵𝗲𝗱 𝗯𝘆 𝗫𝗯𝗼𝘅 𝗚𝗮𝗺𝗲 𝗦𝘁𝘂𝗱𝗶𝗼𝘀. It will be released by Smilegate Entertainment.

It’s just supported by Global Gaming Partnership & Development (GGPD) division at Xbox. The same one which funded/supported/co-developed Dead Rising 3, Dead Rising 4, Rise of the Tomb Raider and PUBG. That’s why these games are labelled as published by Microsoft (not Microsoft Studios) in Microsoft Store.

They’re not related to Xbox Game Studios (and Publishing wing) at all.

2 Likes

Ah, ok. I wasn’t exactly sure because it had the Smilegate logo for the beta last year but the publisher is listed as Microsoft on the official page:

https://www.xbox.com/en-CA/games/crossfirex

So I guess it’s like DR3, ROTTR, and PUBG where Microsoft is publishing for Xbox and then it comes to PlayStation like a year or so later if at all?

Remedy literally had a slide on their last investor report in May 2021 that said its published by Microsoft. Slide 8

1 Like

Is this still coming this year? I really like the trailer last year

1 Like

Its unknown at the moment, rumored to have hit some development struggles.

by Microsoft, but not by Xbox Game Studios. That’s a difference and it’s said like that probably because of current contractual obligations between Smilegate Entertainment and Microsoft. That’s it.

Rise of the Tomb Raider and PUBG are also seemingly „published” by Microsoft according to the Store, but in fact they’re published by SQUARE ENIX and Krafton (or whatever their name is now).

3 Likes

Many places and companies just call Xbox Microsoft, and Playstation Sony. Its just a common simplification, likely used to save space on the slide.

2 Likes

No way Fable is 2024. Playground is putting out Horizon 5 this year and not a soul knew until 3 months ago lmao. Been rumored since 2017-ish and its deep into development.

2023 holiday game.

9 Likes

Yes.

Dead Rising 3 is just the only one game which is permanent exclusive. You can even see on the cover that it says just Microsoft, not Microsoft Studios. The rest of games supported by GGPD were just timed exclusives for a year.

1 Like

Yeah, they’ve been hiring like crazy too, no way it goes past 2023.

You’re in for a surprise as you were with Starfield. Everything is later then you think

It’s not about how many places and companies call X or Y. I just stated a fact. CrossfireX is supported by Microsoft, but by a different division.

Another fact is that Xbox Game Studios is the actual publishing wing for first-party games and CrossfireX (like Rise of the Tomb Raider and PUBG, also labelled as published by Microsoft, not Microsoft Studios) is not a first-party game, is not supported and is not being published by Xbox Game Studios, it’s by GGPD with self-publishing by Smilegate Entertainment. When was the closed beta for the game last year I launched it and there wasn’t any Microsoft mention (like logo or something). That’s it.

Especially on Xbox Games Showcase in 2020 it was presented as a console launch exclusive, not as an Xbox Game Studios presents. Maybe it’s a bit confusing to some people (because Microsoft itself doesn’t talk about that so much and some inside structures could a big unknown for many), but it is how it is.

Same like many people still mistakenly think that Bethesda teams are part of Xbox Game Studios, but they’re not. Or like with The Outer Worlds and Wasteland 3 which are said to be Microsoft’s/XGS’ games, but in fact they’re published by Private Division and Deep Silver.

So Fable which has been in development since 2017-18 is going to launch 1 year before IO’s Project Dragon and its rumored 2025 date along with the new Inxile project that barely started ?

I dont see the logic.

4 Likes

MS and PG have had to find a new studio, hire a new team, sit down and plan out this Fable, then enter pre production, then full production. This takes way longer then you think. Game dev these days is such a long enduring process.

1 Like

I’m with you there, some people are going to be surprised more by their own hubris I wager. COVID had an average impact of 6 months to a year of extra development time… not three years extra.

7 Likes

Let’s be real. Fable development should have started long ago.