Xbox Game Studios |OT5| DOOM posting not allowed. Except for posting about DOOM

Oooh. Xbox game demo fest thingy.

6 Likes

Microsoft is doing both.

Remember that Indie showcase when everything was coming to Game Pass? That’s Microsoft partnering with studios, not buying them. Stalker 2, The Gunk, Scorn, Warhammer Darktide…

Flight Simulator is from Asobo. Minecraft Dungeons was Double Eleven. Gears Tactics was Splash Damage. Tell Me Why was Dontnod. Battletoads was Dlala Studios.

19 Likes

That’s a pretty reductive take on what Xbox has been doing with their own nurturing of non-owned partnerships, the only difference is that Xbox takes the route of providing them a platform on Game Pass without moneyhatting those exclusive permanently. Read: Microsoft isn’t doing one or the other, and acqusitions > timed/single IP moneyhats any day. People seem to forget Gallagher is running The Initiative…

13 Likes

Very fair arguments. I think it was something to talk about while we wait for Sunday.

What do you think Project Dragon/Typhoon, the Kojima deal and others are? Even something like the Ascent, they saw it early and backed it financially. They’re doing BOTH, not just one.

7 Likes

We are just worried about your worrying :stuck_out_tongue: There’s no problem in discussing Xbox’s plans for Sunday – although if we are indeed going for third-party partnerships, discussion should probably be held here:

2 Likes

Poor Prog, seems like he needs another month “off”. lol

1 Like

For what? I was asking a general debate topic.

We gotta have something to pass the time until Sunday.

Not trying to Doom post but that’s what everybody took it as.

2 Likes

Lone Echo, Tunic and Sable? Awesome! Definitely checking all of those out.

They kind of have been doing that. But by the time these third-party studio Sony games release Microsoft will have bought another couple major publishers and will be releasing The Elder Scrolls VI. It’ll be too late for PlayStation to be competitive at that point.

1 Like

Microsoft is buying known quantities with existing IP in some cases. Sony is funding startups because they’re dirt cheap. Microsoft basically swallowed all the other partners Sony could reasonably contract work with - sans Remedy - and they walked away from Kojima/Ready at Dawn/Quantic Dream and SuperMassive games because they weren’t big hits.

It’s clear Sony was completely blindsided by the massive Bethesda advantage heelturn that acquisition dealt and presumebly the continual acquisitions Microsoft will keep making and now Sony is legit scrambling to get PS5 exclusives from the bottom of the barrel.

Hence they are announcing partnerships and not games. They want this info out there ASAP. “The games are on their way”

5 Likes

Relax bud, im just joking around and not being serious.

And after all the news today regarding Xbox, nothing on the SGF for PlayStation comes close.

I was just opening up a line of discussion.

I gotcha but nothing Sony had today is even worth discussing to be honest. And while Microsoft is doing third party deals, I think we can both agree that we would rather see them buy publishers/development studios over paying for third party deals if we had to choose one or the other and we both would prefer games on Game Pass day one over timed exclusive games.

3 Likes

So Tom Warren tweeted something today that really makes it seem 3 studios are joining XGS and it was then Jeff Grubb that speculated, or did he say he heard it was probably IO, Avalanche and Crytek? Because holy shit, this would be huge. I mean…Crytek KNOWS their graphics. Ryse may not have been a superb game (don’t attack me Ryse fans) but those graphics were insane for Xbox One. Actually, put a 4K coat on it and Ryse is still a crazy good looker.

1 Like

No, he said those are the rumoured studios that are out there in certain circles.

It’s crazy how fast this came out nowhere. Wonder if MIcrosoft was trying to hold it close to their chest for a while but as the presentation was filmed word started getting out, or maybe this happened SUPER recently, and now they’re scrambling to try to place the announcements.

It’s kind of strange, yet cool, that we’ve heard almost no whispers since Bethesda (most people thinking Bethesda was kind of a rest and relax moment) and then almost over night it went 110% speed.

2 Likes

Well, hope we won’t have to wait too long for more clarity because that sounds very promising. Those sure aren’t small studios either, not like AA, this is AAA business right there.

It probably won’t be all three, but still, Tom’s tweet was interesting!

1 Like

Avalanche isn’t happening. Nordisk Film own them and acquired them two or so years ago. Something like that. Why would they sell them off? IO Interactive is a possibility but with them doing Bond games that will be a trilogy and multi-platform, I don’t see why Microsoft would acquire them either. Crytek is the most likely to happen of the three because it eliminates them having to worry about money issues and due to the leak they had, Ryse Next is real. I wouldn’t be shocked to see it on Sunday even though im not expecting it.

As for Ryse Son of Rome, it’s a good 7/10 game but I would love a sequel. Eliminate the shitty QTE button prompt combat, make it more like God of War 2018 combat wise while building on the story and characters and I think the game would be freaking amazing.

1 Like

What do you think projects with IOI and others are?