Xbox Game Studios |OT4| This is for Studio talk. Studios. It's the Studios OT. Studio talk here (Part 1)

Yeah 2025 seems like a good target, maybe even 2024

And it would be really far out if it comes in 2025, games are normally released 1-2 years after the initial announcement, bar development hell situations and/or slimy companies which bank on hype (I won’t say the names lmao).

I think lucasfilm games like to make deals and announce the game within a few months, like it might be their way of hyping up the games. This of the basis that Massive entertainment was already working on an avatar game when they announced they would be doing a star wars game. Announce way early for hype must be one of the conditions.

According to Guerrilla, Horizon Zero Dawn took between 6 & 7 years, largely because it was something completely new. New intellectual property. New genre. It began active development in 2011, after they completed work on Killzone 3, & released in 2017. Pre-production apparently began in 2010 though.

Machine could be in a similar situation with Indiana Jones. Not saying it will definitely take the same time to develop, just saying it wouldn’t be unheard of.

As I said, the initial plan CAN be delayed, but rest assured that Sony and Guerrilla didn’t plan from the beginning a 7 years dev cycle, this is my point.

Indiana Jones most likely won’t be a open-world game, so you can strip 1-2 years to the dev cycle only from this assumption.

I think these things simply take as long as they take. I would err on the side of caution when guessing how long it’s going to take a team to do something completely different though, which I’m assuming Indiana Jones will be for Machine (could be wrong here, obviously). They could come up against several new problems that could significantly slow down development.

We just don’t know,. We’re all guessing, so I’m in no hurry to dismiss anyone.

Yes, we are guessing, the only real thing is that Machine Games delivered 5 games in 10 years of existence (2009-2019), 2 full fledged AAA (new order and colossus), 2 large expasion type games (old blood and youngblood), 1 vr game (cyberpilot) and even one official map pack for Quake 1. Knowing this, 2027 is totally a hot take, come on.

Those titles also had to build lore and story from the ground up, so strip some time away from that too.

1 Like

You could be right. You could be wrong. Only time will tell.

Wasnt Guerilla building an engine in the meantime for Shadowfall and Horizon? That explains the long dev time since they had to alter the engine and throws the comparison with Machine Games/Indiana Jones out the window.

2 Likes

yup it was tough transitioning the decima engine to open world after making killzone

When Guerilla formally announced the Decima engine and gave their engine a name basically, they had a highlight reel that showed footage of Killzone 3, so they probably weren’t building an engine but probably building upon it for PS4 knowing it would power the next Killzone and their new IP.

Because what Guerilla seems to suggest is that Decima powered all their PS3 games too.

No, Killzone Shadowfall was the first officially branded Decima Engine game, then obviously any engine comes from something (COD engine comes from idTech, so does the Halo engine, etc…), in this case the already existing engine Guerrilla used for previous Killzones.

In Machine Games case, they doesn’t even have to build anything, because idTech comes from idSoft, so another comparison point which makes little to no sense imo.

It was the first officially branded Decima Engine game, well after it came out though. Like Guerilla didn’t formally give their engine a name until 2016.

They seemed to have retroactively just said “yeah all of our games up to now were powered by the same engine”

Are you sure? Because I remember Until Dawn using Decima and that was before 2016.

Anyway, the point is I don’t see any affinity between HZD and Indiana Jones. Different genres, engines, dev teams, platforms, times, etc…

I think that was before they named it too. They timed the official naming of their engine, with when they announced that Kojima Productions would be using it for Death Stranding. Prior to that, they never referred to the engine as Decima.

Sorry I know this has little to do with the topic, just minor details lol.

1 Like

Ultimately, we will see, I find strange to expect a 2021 announced game in 2027 from the beginning as a thinking process, when even the quoted HZD was announced in 2015 and released in 2017. The timespan between announcements and releases is not a trivial thing.

I really don’t like talking about this stuff because I have exactly zero technical knowledge about game “engines” but haven’t Guerrilla been using & building on Decima since, like the first Killzone? Didn’t they simply decide to officially “release” Decima & give it that name around about Killzone 3?

Anyway, this is largely irrelevant. I wasn’t saying that Machine will take as long to make Indiana Jones as Guerilla took to make HZD because it’s the exact same development environment for both games. It was just an example of how long making games can take.

There are no guarantees that Indiana Jones will be out soon. That’s the point. We don’t know how long it’s going to take. I hope it is out soon because I’m looking forward to playing it but we just don’t know.

I mean just assuming Indiana Jones isnt an open world game should cut development time down lol.

4 Likes

As I was saying to @Ratchet_231, you should take into account the annoucement dates (2021->2027 would be insane), it’s a very important thing, much more than after the fact interviews about dev time cycles and origin stories of the project.