Xbox Game Studios |OT4| This is for Studio talk. Studios. It's the Studios OT. Studio talk here (Part 1)

Star Wars Reaction GIF by Disney+

Were it so easy

1 Like

So Iā€™m not allowed to express to my personal opinionā€¦ or be excused of shitposting or trolling.

Ok. :joy:

Why does it take forever for Microsoft Xbox to release exclusive games NOW when they have more studios than Sony, Nintendo, EA or Activision? Did they forget to moneyhat exclusives like their competitors or something?

Back in like 2013-16 they didnā€™t have this issue as much because they would just pay for 3rd party exclusivity on Capcom And Square Enix titles. Rise of the Tomb Raider and Dead Rising 3 + 4 go to alongside first party.

And straight up moneyhatted Titanfall 1, the biggest title of 2013?2014? And they even had okay games in between that like ReCore and Ryse. Just stuff to be in the news cycle.

Its kinda nuts but at the same time itā€™s like they acquired studios right before or after they released a huge multiplatform title

This is going to get into almost Hot Take territory:

• Psychonauts 2 should be an Xbox/PC exclusive title
  • Ori 1 and 2 shouldnā€™t have been ported to Nintendo Switch, its just another reason not to get an Xbox
  • Microsoft shouldā€™ve attempted to acquire IOI Interactive as soon as there was industry chatter that Square Enix was going to sell off IOI Interactive. Just buy them straight from Square Enix management.
  • Microsoft should have fought to be the publisher for Nioh or Sekiro, what happened to their relationship with From Software and Team Ninja? They had multiple exclusives from both those teams
  • Xbox Game Studios needs a major overhaul with their marketing department. I love you @Klobrille but we shouldnā€™t have to rely on you for industry news about first party.
  • Microsoft hasnā€™t attempted a triple A 2nd party title in years.
  • Xbox should have had a AAA 2nd party launch title with the Series X|S to go alongside Halo Infinite

Overall after owning my Series S since February Iā€™m officially over the honeymoon period, I canā€™t wait for the future of Xbox but right now Iā€™m finally understanding the lack of exclusive complaints. We need more exclusive titles.

As a huge RPG fan Iā€™m very excited for the future of First Party from Xbox though, the Bethesda acquisition was MASSIVE news and I ended up playing all their titles that came to Game Pass. Iā€™m very excited for the future, but it still feels like lightyears away just because of Microsoft respecting obligations to release stuff like Psychonauts 2 and Wasteland 3 on PlayStation.

4 Likes

OH AM NOT ALLOWED TO DISAGREE WITH YOU, UGGGHHHHH!!! :scream:

Sorry. Yes, of course you can do those things. Itā€™s not like you reported a new rogue like game is crashing a lot, on the other era forum. That would get you a month long ban

When did I suggest that you werenā€™t allowed to disagree with meā€¦? lol.

There, there. Youā€™re all idiots. :sunglasses:

2 Likes

Michael Richards Yes GIF

1 Like

Psychonauts 2 and Wasteland 3 were crowdfunded games for Playstation prior to Xboxā€™s acquisition. It would have literally been illegal for them to not release on those platforms. They donā€™t own Moon Studios and they wanted to be good partners and allow the game to be on Switch where it fits perfectly. The game being ported to switch quite literally doesnā€™t impact you in the SLIGHTEST.

I understand your frustration. Waiting sucks. But do a little bit of research before you start making claims about why Xbox is messing up.

12 Likes

Completely agree. Also, Iā€™m not sure why a Guerilla Games comparison is even warrantedā€¦ one has made one good game and a series of middling shooters, and the other is The Coalition. If anything, I think any and all inspiration in terms of team dynamics and multiple projects pull from within XGS more than anything else: see Obsidian, Mojang, etc.

8 Likes

Iā€™m looking forward to The Gunk, It sounds great from everything the developers have talked about so far. But why hasnā€™t there been much of an attempt from Microsoft to advertise it harder as ā€œThis is just one of the reasons why you should buy an Xbox.ā€

The fact that the trailer for this Xbox console exclusive only has 144k views should be a wake up call for Microosft to improve their marketing. By comparison Buxsnax, one of those indie/AA games that has console exclusivity on PlayStation was a viral success the second the first trailer hit. Why is that? The Gunk was one of the premiere titles during the Xbox Series X gameplay premiere event.

At the very least why wasnā€™t the trailer named something like ā€œThe Gunk - -Reveal Trailer| Console Exclusiveā€?

3 Likes

Must we repeat the same misguided argument ad nauseam every damn week? Iā€™m beyond bored with this string of concern.

9 Likes

I believe Microsoft is in a very healthy position, they have a very Aggressive future ahead of them. It just feels like Microsoft passed by a ton of open opportunities at launch, they let Sony take the lead right at the start.

No. We need to have someone else almost every week bringing up the same points without adding anything new to the conversation, rinse and repeat.

7 Likes

Can I introduce you to this thing called COVID? Also, lest you forget, most of the ā€œlaunch exclusivesā€ for PS5 were literally in the same boat as Xboxā€™s output: cross gen. Furthermore, when you have an additional year for your devs to work towards what was supposed to be a 2019 release, itā€™s a bit easier to produce. I think some of these concerns are greatly unwarranted given the current global situation and the fact that Xbox has far more studios, better hardware, and a suite of tools that are going to surprise people beyond what a couple good exclusives at launch can do.

6 Likes

I use the Guerilla Game comparison because its the easiest one to make lol.

Some (maybe all) are from the holiday update video:

1 Like

We donā€™t even have a release date. Not sure whyā€™d theyā€™d have to push hard on marketing for that or Psychonauts 2 yet.

Steamworld Dig 2 and Psychonauts are two of my all-time favorite games, so I do certainly hope XGS give both of these games the publicity they deserve.

While I do agree with your post, lets not pretend that Covid-19 has only affected Xbox and use that as an excuse in comparison to others.

2 Likes

Both companies are selling every console they can make.

What ā€œleadā€ does Sony have?

And even countering my own point, Xbox is way more than selling consoles. Their goal is to grow Game Pass and grow their MAU. They are growing like crazy, thereā€™s no evidence that a lack of first party games in the first 9 months of the Series X/S generation is holding them back.

1 Like