Xbox Game Studios |OT4| This is for Studio talk. Studios. It's the Studios OT. Studio talk here (Part 1)

After seeing Wasteland 3, Inxile’s game is probably my most anticipated.

2 Likes

@Klobrille - you pretty much nailed it. However, I do believe that Microsoft is far from being done in regards to acquiring development studios and publishers. I believe that their long term goal is a whopping 50 studios. They have 22.

I don’t believe that they acquire Sega whatsoever but I do see a long term deal with them to get the games only PlayStation would get on Xbox day one in Game Pass or at the very least day one for sale on Xbox instead of years later or never.

I do believe that they will acquire Paradox Interactive because it makes too much sense not to. I wouldn’t be surprised to see them come away with Focus Home Interactive as well.

I do believe that the have one major publisher left and I still believe that it will be WB Games. Once they delayed both of their 2021 titles to 2022, that tells me they’re still looking to sell because once those games get released, they become less valuable to the company that would want to acquire them.

Development studio wise, I do believe that they will get Techland at some point.

For me personally, I want more studios and publishers for one main reason - all their games would go on Game Pass day one which saves me a shit ton of cash and in some cases like WB, I think it’s a perfect fit and fills a lot of gaps. Fighting, open world RPG’s like Gotham Knights which fits in with Microsoft’s live service direction, WB has two “kids games” studios so the solve a gap there while at the same time, add so much talent to their internal studios. Plus, they could run themselves like Bethesda is doing. So it’s a win win.

I do agree with you completely in regards to all of the studios getting to the level of higher quality games. I believe that they will be this generation what Sony’s internal studios were for them during the PS4 generation or at the very least, that’s how I see it for me personally.

1 Like

Naturally fans will keep asking for more cause they didn’t get the games the promised years ago. After playing HI, HB2, Fable, Avowed, next Forza … the new IPs coming from the rest of Studios, fans will change their talk. Guarantee.

1 Like

I agree with this. People are asking for more because despite all the studios aquired none have delivered yet. I know inexile and obsidian released good games since being aquaired but they were multi plats. Once all these studios are putting out games only on the xbox eco system people wont care about acquisitions as much

2 Likes

Over the next three years

#1 343- with halo infinite

#2 playground- with fable and FH5

#3 BGS- starfield

#4 obsidian- avowed and hidden project

#5 coalition- gears 6

#6 - arkane Austin’s game

#7- ninja theory- Hellblade 2 and project Mara

People around here don’t give 343 the respect they deserve. They’re one of the top shooter devs in the world. Also think ninja theory gets a little too much. They make good games but haven’t made a GOTY nomination level game yet. Not sure if ID softwares next game will be out but by then but if it is then they would go to number 4.

Yes I agree with klobrille that we need to stop looking to which studio will be bought next when we have this many great studios. We have IMO 7 studios that can produce GOTY level games. My top 6 from above plus I’d software. Shit it’s 8 if you count playground as 2 studios. Then there’s another 8-9 studios that make really good games.

I’m honestly really happy with where XGS is. Very good and diverse group of studios.

2 Likes

Didn’t know Ruvato: Original Complex & Remilore are from the same developer. Liked Remilore sooo much! Definitely I’m buying this one also <3

I can see where your coming from if in regards to people who want an acquisition to happen or think the there isn’t ‘enough’ whatever that means.

But I mainly enjoy discussing it purely from a speculation perspective, it’s interesting to imagine how Microsoft’s strategy will play out and evolve in the coming years, and it’s also interesting to theorize about what companies would compliment their business plan and think about how the industry is changing, it’s just a bit of fun basically.

I will agree that it is a bit tiring to constantly see the topic brought up everywhere Xbox is discussed, I like that it has its own topic here so people can choose wether to engage in the discussion. Doesn’t always stop it from spilling out elsewhere though like here lol.

1 Like

I totally agree klobrille, the acquisition discussion was fun to talk about for a bit but I just want to learn more about they games they have announced. Its fun sifting for crumbs of information too, just this week we got confirmation! that fable is using a ‘proprietary engine’, not unreal engine as was initially thought. There is so much to look forward to in xbox’s not too distant future, by this time next year I think we will have a much better understanding of what xboxs first party actually means game wise, as I would hope we would know what was releasing in 2022 by then.

I’m excited for psychonauts 2, the brief little bits and pieces of the game we have seen so far look really fun, and I am really looking forward to experiencing it.

I think there is a lot of acquisition talk at the moment because there isnt too much to discuss first party wise besides acquisitions. The only first party game that we have any real insight into thats releasing soon is halo infinite, and while I am excited about it, dont get me wrong, there is only so much discussion that can happen around the information that they do release.

I agree 343i gets way too much shit do they deserve some yea of course but fucking hell some of the crap the toxic community gives them is insane

2 Likes

You’ve said it in a much more polite way compared to my acquisition rant from last week :smiley:

3 Likes

To be fair, it’s Satya’s fault. If he would quit talking about studios or IPs following the Bethesda purchase, we could take a speculation breather. So the Sega dream shall live…

sad season 3 GIF

4 Likes

Since I struggle finding enough time to beat games and interesting in Halo Infinite, I began thinking about campaign hrs? For example, if it’s as long as Prey? between 20 - 50 hrs, I think I won’t play Halo.

Luckily, Halo always consider as a short game. 5 was 6-7 hrs, so maybe Infinite jump to 10 - 12 hrs and it’s OK for me personally. But for hardcore Halo fan, this duration means Twice the previous game : )

Fwiw, I beat Prey in 15. Regardless, I think Infinite will be the longest Halo but not so big its daunting. Like, it could have tens of hours of content but the main story should be shorter. Joe Staten did beat it twice in a week after all.

Excuse me :sweat_smile: did you rushed the game?

I am not sure how far in Prey I am but I am in the crew quarters about to go to the gym but man this game is good. Glad I waited for the 60 FPS

I dont think Prey is that long if you know what you are doing. I beat it in like 18 particularly cause I knew how Arkane games worked.

Have you done any side content did you got the “good” ending?

I did enough side content.

Hmm

That’s what a rusher would say…