Xbox Game Studios |OT3| Once more....with feeling (Part 1)

I mean Xbox Publishing Has done a great job trying to fill the gap in releases/offerings getting stuff like Tactics and Flight Sim (not on xbox) done +they managed to snag the in progress works of Inxile and Obsidian into game pass. So thats wonderful but that doesnt hide that the output from XGS has been close to nonexistent for big games since Gears 5/Minecraft Tactics. It will be close to a year and a half until we get the next FULL RELEASE of an XGS game in Halo Infinite unless Grounded releases before it.

XGS output currently isnt good enough to be saying ā€œgive these teams 6 years right now to drop/develop a gameā€ it sounds absurd unless they are making an absolute new everything for said game. Maybe later on when the game output is consistent enough (it should be) xbox can afford such things but right now they need to showcase what the new XGS can actually do.

Conversation was also about Giving Gears a Halo Infinite development time as if the franchise needs 6 years for a game. If you cant make a Gears game in 3-4 years you got a problem.

I deal in facts and the reality is, youā€™ve ignored critically acclaimed titles like Wasteland 3 and Tell Me Why, among more than eight others from last year alone, to feed this entitled narrative. Games take more time than any other medium, and you act as though the competition doesnā€™t take just as long to develop ā€œbig titlesā€ whatever the hell metric thatā€™s supposed to mean.

4 Likes

Gears 4 and 5 were great games with 2 years of dev. With even more time, TC would be able to restore Gears of War to the top of gaming

1 Like

Literally said Xbox Publishing has done a wonderful job filling the gaps in the library working with partners and mentioned that they did a great job helping Inxile and Obsidian getting their games finished and into gamepass.

I agree with you that the narrative that xbox has no games is stupid because its not reality. All Im saying is that the game OUTPUT (volume) from actual XGS has been poor the past 2 years and hope that with Infinite it changes cause the roadmap is looking great without even counting Zenimax.

1 Like

Itā€™s an awesome game

1 Like
  1. Gears hasnt been top of gaming since Gears 2 on the 360 and dont know how the 8th-9th entry would change that at this point (not getting into Gears dialogue again).

2. Dont possibly know what a Halo Infinite development time window for Gears would do. It just seems like adding dev time for the sake of it.

Anybody expecting news tomorrow? Need those double frames.

With Gears 5 it seems TC have ideas as to where they want to take the series in regards to story and gameplay mechanics. I think 5-6 years them the time to introduce new mechanics and ideas that the series sorely needs. With a game every 2-3 years, the series canā€™t evolve. More time is needed and from what Klob said on Otherera, the series is getting it

The next Gears game is 5-6 years away? Doubt.

Coalition is on a technical level the best studio at xbox and the mosf efficient they should be ready in at least 4 (worst case).

What do people think Jez Corden was talking about when he talked about the super ambitious projects way beyond anything Microsofts ever tried before?

It sounded like there were things that Jez didnā€™t know if they would see the light of day or not, but would be games that cost hundreds of millions to make. Wonder what studies could even be working on those titles since they seemed unannounced.

basically what are you saying no AAA game or AAA experience on console since gears 5 release date

I see Gears 6 being Fall 2023. Give them an extra year due to Covid-19 and the Hivebusters expansion.

1 Like

Yep I would say that too makes sense man on unreal engine 5 ooh boy thatā€™s gonna be gorgeous game

???

4 Likes

My bets on something Tencent related. Seeing as MS is said to be quiet for a while.

I was going through some of the 360 era games and saw that fucking Mass Effect 2 released just two years after Mass effect, and was actually considered much better and redefined the RPG genre forever. They did that in two years. So when I hear a game requires 6-7 fucking years to make and release Iā€™m kinda appalled cuz thatā€™s pretty much one game for the entire generation. Yā€™all look at the output of Rockstar in the previous generations vs literally 1 game the entire One/PS4 generation.

I would kinda agree with Shawn Laydenā€™s (former PlayStation head) recent statements that games are taking too much money and time these days, and that should change. Doesnā€™t mean studios should start pumping out games like soldiers. But this paradigm of wanting games to take increasingly longer time and more money is bound to become unhealthy for the industry. Studios should make more of these shorter and more condensed games, not just simply increasingly bigger and more expensive games to justify an arbitrary 60/70 dollar proposition moving forward, especially in the age of services that shall subsidise them anyway.

I see many people arguing gamepass is not sustainable over the long run because of AAA development, which presupposes the need for more and more of these bloated experiences filling in the service to begin with. Gamepass allows for a broad range of scope in gamemaking, itā€™s no longer bound by a sole retail standard they should accommodate their entire games around. Thatā€™s why thereā€™s place for both an Elder Scrolls but also an Ori, a Sea of Thieves but also a Grounded. Both should matter in a central way, and these AAA studios are no longer bound by previous era AAA standards.

7 Likes

Ngl Iā€™m tired of these lol, influencers/insiders post stuff like this and when shit blows over, they say ā€œman games media just goes crazy with these, it wasnā€™t even meant to be that hype, I must be careful from next timeā€ like you for real? :joy:

The media and gamers are hungry for anything these days, fucking scratching the bottom of bottles and barrels for anything to talk about, so of course every little thing is getting hyped beyond necessity. :sweat_smile:

2 Likes

Imagine Yakuza franchise at 60šŸ˜

I agree wholeheartedly. And though some games may take longer such as new IPā€™s I think a 3-4 year development cycle is a much more digestible. Didnā€™t Gears 5 come out 2 years after 4?

Gears 5 came 3 years after Gears 4. And yeah, games that require creation of new technology, R&D, Engine development and maturing, all of that then yeah, that can take more time, itā€™s why I expect Fable to be at least 2023 title going by the rumors of it being made with a forked version of Forzatech engine or perhaps a new hybrid one. Itā€™s the same reason Halo Infinite is fine to take 6 years, cuz they had to create an entirely new engine. But once the tech and pipeline has been established, we should expect shorter windows of development. Thatā€™s the only reason I feel thereā€™s a chance for GOW Ragnarok to take shorter time than GOW 2018, because the groundwork and pipeline was established and the sequel could not just come out sooner, but also have a new project in development alongside it going by their recruitment tweets. I expect Gears 6 in 2023, no fucking way itā€™s something like 2025 or 26 lol. TES6 I can understand, the kind of ambition expected with that game coupled with the whole engine revamp and multiple projects from the same studio points to longer development time on it. I suspect if Starfield comes this year, the likelihood of TES6 making 2023-24 at the earliest somewhat possible.

1 Like