Xbox Game Studios |OT3| Once more....with feeling (Part 1)

if there is one game missing from Microsoft’s future lineup I think its one of those extremely difficult “Ninja Gaiden, Sekiro, Bloodborne, FromSoftware” type games. I picked up Ninja Gaiden Black yesterday on the Microsoft Store for $10 and its really fun. I never played it back in 05 because I was too young to even know about it. I’m going to take my words back on what I said about Tomonobu Itagaki, a new Ninja Gaiden type game would actually fit perfect in Xbox’s lineup of games.

I just don’t know if Microsoft will reach out to him for that type of game. Maybe after The Initiative has completed their work on Perfect Dark they could make a new Ninja game with “get gud” difficulty.

I dont know why Nioh isnt even on the Xbox.

PlayStation publishes Nioh in the west.

What I want is something less souls like and more Ninja Gaiden though, just a really darn difficult game with fast parkour movement. A game that people want to master and watch YouTube/twitch streams of.

I don’t have a ton of faith in Itagaki’s ability to execute at this point in his career.

Supposedly they are working two games. One the big one and one that is very very early.

I don’t think he can be trusted as someone who is the head of a first party studio. He would work much better as a combat director at another studio.

1 Like

Didn’t Itagaki the other day say he hopes Xbox reaches out to him?

Yeah “Itagaki Games” which he runs. Knowing Microsoft track record though, they are pretty reluctant to fund third party games that aspire to make Triple A games. Their Xbox Game Studios Global Publishing branch hasn’t published a triple A game since Crackdown 3 and that was in development hell.

I believe the reason is because most third party studios want to own their IP while Microsoft really wants to own the IP for every game they publish. put in the factor that Microsoft now owns I believe 20 studios? Yeah, 2nd party triple A game development is not something global publishing will be focusing on in my opinion for the foreseeable future.

1 Like

I would argue that both Microsoft Flight Simulator and Ori and the Will of the Wisps are AAA experiences.

2 Likes

Microsoft Flight Simulator has a rich history within Microsoft, they own the IP and its a way to learn new ideas within the azur platform for Microsoft. Plus Matt Booty is a huge plane guy, look at his official website he loves flight. I’m pretty sure Microsoft Flight Simulator existed long before Microsoft even had a game publishing branch.

Ori is a double A/indie game and Microsoft owns the IP. That doesn’t detract from the game being good though!

I don’t see Microsoft working out deals like they used to do on games like Scalebound for the foreseeable future.

1 Like

That is a good point, it’s unfortunate but on the other hand they have so many studios of their own now. The only downside is the long wait. But having a third party make a game would take a while too. Still, I wouldn’t mind if they had deals for bigger games outside of XGS.

Its just a different strategy for Microsoft, why spend the money on a few Triple A 2nd party releases in a generation when you could use that money to put a ton of Triple A third party games people already know they want to play on Game Pass?

out of all the big players I’m pretty sure Microsoft has the most amount of first party studios, especially when you account for how many of those studios are multiple studios within a studio (arkane, bethesda game studios, Playground Games, etc.).

The AA and Indie published games under XGS will probably be great experimental games that wouldn’t necessarily be something we’re will to drop $60 on, but would be willing to try with Game Pass. (As Dusk Falls)

yeah agree big third party exclusive are now kinda unnessasary? Like once xgs is starting to role out we will swim in a bag full of games games games

1 Like

You are right, Microsoft would rather spend money on acquisitions and building new IP from within 1st party than giving money to 3rd party studios, it just makes more sense for them.

Besides 3rd parties are now becoming careful about owning IP, if the game is a success, owning the IP it raises their value as a whole, so publishing deals from Epic where studios get to keep the IP are way more lucrative compared to Sony and MS.

2 Likes

We will not tbh. Whole Studio buying spree is precisely to avoid these situations.

I disagree with that sentiment. They will be continuing to buy studios for a while so that’s exactly why they’ll be announcing more of those toys of deals soon. This is one of the biggest ways the firm partnerships and learn about studios they may acquire. Long term yes, they will slow these down and focus more on indie games imo, but sort term I expect you’ll hear more of those type of games.

1 Like

Its actually insane how many games are in development at Xbox Game Studios first party. these studios have more than one project in development because some of them are multiple studios. It’s so crazy to even put my head around the fact where Microsoft was last gen vs now.

Last gen it was 343, The Coalition, Turn 10 and Rare… 3 out of the 4 studios work on one IP exclusively while Rare was so busy with Sea of Thieves its pretty much all they put out last gen minus Rare Replay.

3 Likes

Guys. I don’t think we should expect Bethesda Dallas, Austin or Montreal to develop actual games like the next mainline Fallout. They are support studios and don’t have the expertise to work on full AAA games. Thats like expecting Skybox Labs or Sperasoft to develop the next Halo.

Console War ammo and Bloobers history with other games and their lack of versatility.

I know I feel the same. I wish they would buy from software or even that developer who makes mortal shell or the surge. If they had unlimted funds they could make some amazing things