Xbox Game Studios |OT3| Once more....with feeling (Part 1)

11 Likes

It has to be an RPG. Xbox has the most RPG studios

1 Like

Facts

2 Likes

Xbox is the only realistic option too. Studios like ironhorse and spiders never would have gotten it, BioWare didn’t want to, and Disney wouldn’t give it to CDPR. So that leaves XGS RPG devs.

They could just be hyping up an EA game lol. Maybe they got marketing rights

What star wars games are coming?

Nothing announced. But surely EA will have something between now and 2023. Probably announced this year.

I doubt we see any non-EA star wars games until 2023, but who knows. Maybe they just need to release after 2023.

Yes… :peach: (That’s a butt)

Everyone and their mother is basically stating that change in logo and branding with Lucasfilm Games is in preparation for the inevitable severing of ties between EA and Lucasfilm over the Star Wars license.

I think and I mean I think that between EA + Disney + Microsoft relationship they started getting cozy with one another. EA knows that there is highly unlikely chance that when the license separation occurs, Bioware will get an RPG out. Games take a LONG time to make.

The Old Republic is THE most requested era for Disney right now. People WANT Reven, Malek, Nihilis, Bastilla recanonized in the new lore. Disney knows that KOTOR holds a special place for a lot of Star Wars fans. Disney has tied millions if not a least a billion into launching The High Republic era with comics, books, a new TV show, a series of movies, toys, everything. This is gonna be THE new saga.

Games take a long time to make.

Disney also knows that people want a new KOTOR game. Once again, I stress that games take a LONG TIME TO MAKE> I think there’s a good chance that there is some kind of relationship behind the scenes going on with EA, Microsoft and Disney. Disney allows Microsoft to make a new High Republic era RPG in time for the new movie/show, and EA somehow gets SOMETHING from Microsoft. Maybe a bigger cut of GamePass costs, maybe free marketing for upcoming games… SOMETHING. You put in the offers now, the groundwork, the whatever, to say “OKay. Start making a High Republic game but it can’t come out before 2022/2023 when the license expires. We believe that the High Republic movie trilogy or TV show will be on air by Fall 2024.” You don’t wait till the deal’s over to start shopping when you want games to start being made. You start NOW.

Battlefront 2015 is PROOF of that. Disney wanted the game to out by Force Awakens, and only gave EA I think 18 months(?) to make the game. They got the license in 2013 and put out Battlefront 2015 but that Christmas for Episode VII. You can’t do that with an RPG. A multiplayer shooter with no campaign fine, but RPGs take years to make. You start NOW, if you want something out for Christmas of 2023/2024 when High Republic hype is at its peak.

That’s not to say there isn’t another EA Star Wars game that Microsoft has marketing rights too, but I think maybe gets some kind of Finder’s Fee or something for hooking up Microsoft with the Lucasfilm contacts.

Disney wants a new Star Wars RPG game. We KNOW that. Unless they pay a shit ton of money to Larian (whose still working on BGIII) or Owlcat, the options for a purely “RPG” studio to produce the style and scope that DIsney wants is… beyond slim.

Now I do find it very very weird that Major Nelson would SPECIFICALLY quote a prequel quote (from Episode I no less) when making that post. It probably means nothing… But WHAT IF?

EVERYONE… INTO THE CIRCLE. THE RITUAL MUST CONTINUE.

(>0_0)> KOTOR 3/The High Republic by Xbox Game Studios ! (>0_0)>

9 Likes

I didn’t mean acquisitions. I meant simply paying for a game to be full/timed console exclusive. Both are two very different things.

1 Like

For me if KOTOR 2 had gotten the time and money that Obsidian needed it had a chance to be the GOAT, it was heading that way IMO before the game got kneecapped. If 3 is to ever be made, I really want it to be Obsidian if they want to make it of course.

1 Like

One last thing:

KOTOR is tied into OG Xbox’s history. It was one of THE defining games for the system: Halo, Ninja Gaiden, Fable, Morrowind, KOTOR. Those are the games you think of when you think OG XBox.

If Phil and the team truly are focused on recreating what made the original OG Xbox games so special, you go for a High Republic RPG.

2 Likes

Agreed, they wouldn’t want to wait until 2023 to start development on new games. If Microsoft were working on a RPG, who do you think it’d be?

Obsidian would be the obvious answer, but they’d probably have to drop Outer Worlds 2. You could also argue that their time would be better spent on an owned IP like Fallout.

Should of been more specific my friend

I think what happens is, let’s say right now there’s a tentative verbal agreement but nothing written yet. There’s alot of arbitration going on with Disney, EA and Microsoft, but you’ve got the first steps.

So you start shopping it around to your studios. Okay whose doing what? Who would feel most comfortable shelving something to take up the offer?

Remember, they allow their studios to make whatever they want. Phil and Matt are going to bust in the door this scenario, go up to Obsidian and say “Stop working losers, we’re doing Star Wars stuff”. You have to shop it around. You can’t TECHNICALLY offer it to the Bethesda studios, so you ask around.

Everyone says Obsidian, and yeah most of everyone who worked on KOTOR II is still there, so they go to the immediate top of the list, but what if they don’t want to make another KOTOR? That’s radicicolous of course, they’ve said as much, but you gotta go down the list. InXile next, then ask Playground.

Most likely Obsidian would shelve or halt on TOW II and start preproduction on Knight of the High Republic (KOTHR). I imagine Obsidian would already be in the discussion because Lucasfilm Games is NOTORIOUSLY difficult to work with according to rumors from Respawn and DICE developers. So perhaps it’s seeing if they gel, what’s Disney’s longterm goals are with the project, what style do they want etc.

2 Likes

It’s the trifecta.

Shock Blue - SEGA

Pulse Red - CDProject Red

Robot White - White Owls

5 Likes

I think we see a Halo ODST sequel or successor this gen.

Separate game or within infinite

I think its within Infinite. MS will turn the game into a platform

They already said they are

2 Likes

Hope not, I’m looking forward to it