Xbox Game Studios |OT2| It's pronounced "Krayg" not "Kreg"

I just finished Cold Wars campaign yesterday in 60fps raytracing mode and it felt super smooth. Didn’t notice any slowdowns at all. I also played a lot of multiplayer matches in 120fps mode, same story here. Felt super smooth, didn`t notice any slowdown. So either I am not very sensitive to this sort of stuff or it’s because Xbox has VRR. Either way, I had great experience.

3 Likes

I disagree. I think so, having an exclusive is important and having a continuity of releases is also important. for the Xbox Ecosystem and Game Pass otherwise they wouldnt have acquired so many studios in just 2 years. I think the excuse is valid here. We are in a pandemic and lockdown produced by covid-19. Of course, Sony is more prepared than MS in the first-party games. It is what it is. On the performance of the XSX, I think it reflects the delay of the full Xbox Series dev-kits. I think that in the future XSX and XSS should have better performances. We will see.

Im from BR, obviously English is not my language :grimacing: sorry if there are any errors

4 Likes

I think in fairness PS5 was gonna be a 2019 launch but was delayed due to MS pulling ahead in power and planning on waiting a year. Still, it’s undeniable how well Sony prepared for launch in terms of software. PS5 lost Deathloop and Kena and still has the best launch lineup in PS history. MS lost Halo and Medium and emerged with a black eye for it. In the grand scheme of things, launch lineups don’t matter too much, especially with back compat and multiplats, but in the short term, it means PS5 will be played more.

2 Likes

I kinda agree, it is indeed disappointing that XS is underperforming, especially once MS tout the power thing since the beginning. I mean, I totally believe it is temporary tho and probably due to the status of their api. But yes, it is really strange and disappointing. Something is off.

3 Likes

I remember last years modern warfare performing more stable on playstation because that platform was their main focus. This doesn’t necessarily has to do with power guys. Call of Duty has a marketing deal with playstation, they probably took extra care in that version. That said, the Xbox Version runs great, like really really great. Given the circumstances that the gdk is really new and developers hadn’t much time to get to accustomed to, this bodes well for future performance metrics. But console wars aside you can have a great experience no matter what some performance graph is telling you. The game looks and runs great on Xbox.

7 Likes

How exactly is Series X/S under-performing? If the sales are better than Xbox One worldwide and they literally sold out of every console they had available at launch, I don’t see how that’s under-performing.

Sony was definitely more prepared and ready but we know this already. I’m not expecting game core and the GDK/SDK to be ready until a few months into 2021, maybe even as much as six months but for the long term outlook of Xbox, it needed to be upgraded and waiting for the full RDNA 2 feature set was the right decision that will pay off again, in the long term.

I don’t consider timed console exclusives as exclusives. In my eyes, they’re multi-platform titles because that’s what they will end up being. Sony has Demon’s Souls which is great remake and looks stunning but it is a niche title that I don’t see many beating outside of those who are actual Souls fans.

Sackboy is a fine platformer but more of a tide over until Ratchet & Clank: Rift Apart. Miles Morales is the main event but it’s also cross-gen (funny how no one in the gaming media or PS fans complain about this anymore, smh) and more of an expansion than a full game. However, the overall lineup is far better than Xbox Series X/S which only has Gears Tactics for launch.

Of course, in general, Xbox One had the far better launch lineup and launch year compared to PlayStation 4 but in the end, that didn’t matter whatsoever just like it won’t matter this generation.

5 Likes

I wouldn’t be worried about the frame drops on launch games. Remember xbox is using a new development kit to make use of all the rdna 2 features. If by this time next year games are still under performing on Series x then we should be worried. Everything xboxs has done is for the long game and unfortunately waiting for full rdna 2 set them back quite a bit. Sony on the other hand is playing the short game by using the same development kit as the ps4 and the ps5 was rumored to be a 2019 console

4 Likes

Or gears tactics!

2 Likes

Series X/S is performing very well. Ray Tracing in WDL looks great. Valhalla looks stunning. COD is COD. Gears Tactics according to some has better cinematics than Gears 5. It has a lot of great features and the best controller three generations running. Also has Backwards Compatibility to the extreme. I just don’t see how Series X/S is under-performing in any area to be honest. Sure, you can say the first party lineup is barren but at the same time, it was stacked in 2013 and it didn’t matter. If anything, having the opposite now could always lead to the opposite result when the generation ends compared to last generation.

5 Likes

For real, I hope people don’t sleep on Gears Tactics; if you like XCom but want slightly faster-paced gameplay that feels pure Gears, this is it. I played a fair amount on my PC but never finished it; I have a weird psychological barrier to touching my Mac/PC after spending all day on them for work. Anyway, started playing on the One X the day it launched on console but really dove in after the Series X launched (it’s so much smoother and more detailed). Easily an 9/10 for me.

5 Likes

This is such an overly dramatic post its amazing.

You realize the first time in history Xbox has launched a console with full BC that improves games to highest fidelity today and service that disrupted an entire industry.

MS has been getting non stop praise with Game Pass, hardware, and paying 7.5 billion for Bethesda. The only people that think MS has no games are warriors pushing a false narrative. No one cares outside these walls, consoles are selling, Game Pass is gaining critical mass traction.

Game Pass is the same level of disruption as Netflix, a public company worth 213 billion on its own. Game Pass is also gaining faster traction than Netflix in the early days.

8 Likes

Yeah MS learned from Netflix mistake, first party games or owned content is what will push the subscription service forward. that is why they tripled their game studios numbers and still looking for more studios and game deals

Yea its gonna pay off within the next year or 2 we just have to be patient Microsoft didn’t invest in first party really till 2017-2018

1 Like

I’m well aware. I don’t see where my post denied any of this. Hell, I said launch lineups don’t matter too much in the grand scheme of things, like Phil said. And their back compat work is fantastic and late 2021 onwards will be fantastic.

However, I also think it’s true that on a software side, Sony was better prepared for launch. I forgot to mention Destruction All Stars was delayed, but even still, 4 brand new first party offerings (Sackboy, Miles, Astrobot and Demon’s Souls), a remaster, 2 notable third party exclusives (Bugsnax and Godfall) and all the same third party as MS.

Now MS does have Gears Tactics which is a fantastic game, but also one lost in the hype cycle after launching 7 months back. They also have Tetris Effect Connected which is a great game but also an update to a 2 year old one, as well as Falconeer and a port of Bright Memory. Then there are the multiplats which are looking great and the free remasters which are a big plus.

Still, I think if you only have a PS4 or only have an Xbox One, getting the other manufacturer’s system is your best bet to have the most to play as you missed out on a gen. Otherwise, I hate to say it, the PS5 is probably the one worth getting between the two at launch if you have both systems. That said, once devs have hands on time and once we see the power of the 23 and counting studios and 35 and counting teams, Xbox will probably be undeniably the better offering, especially with Game Pass, but until then, I can understand why someone may want to hold off until Halo comes out and just get a PS5 over Christmas.

MS deserves every drop of praise they get and then some, especially with a media that can be disproportunately negative towards them, but they aren’t above criticism here. They bet on Halo and they lost. They made the right call for the games and the fans, but lost the launch lineup “battle”. I can’t wait to play the Series X and hope mine comes soon, they are in a great position for the future, but in the now, they coulda benefitted from Halo.

6 Likes

I agree with this 100% I also don’t need exclusives to justify my purchase. Xbox has gamepass they have all the bc and enhancments, quick resume more power. A good interface, A system that doesn’t glitch out. They have all the games that just came out plus

cyber punk next month Medium in januay Skorn Crossfire resident evil 8 far cry 6 FF7 probably in april witcher 3 upgrade Im assuming also in 2021 Halo and starfield and much more to come. Weather these games are exclusive or timed or not exclusive at all doesn’t matter to me. They are games I want to play and will keep me plenty busy This is all before what I believe with be a gient influx of games from thier own studios come starting in 2022 as well.

If you bought a ps5 only its a great purchase. If you bought an xbox only its also a great purchase. Lots of great games coming across the board

The only thing I wish xbox did better on is achievements. You guys have heard me talk about those already

5 Likes

The reason people will choose PS5 or Series X at launch is brand loyalty, not because of launch games.

Most would prefer better hardware, better value, and lower barrier of entry to hundreds of games.

I don’t think the masses which are casuals will prefer to buy a $600 system as a paperweight and buy 1 or 2 games. The better value proposition will always be Game Pass.

9 Likes

Heres a good question for everyone as well.

How many studios do you think xbox will own by 2022? I’m going to say at least 30. im not an insider but I do follow a lot of stuff and I think they will buy another publisher and some other studios to keep the content coming to game pass. I can see maybe by the end of this gen maybe 35. When you have that many studios you can be pushing out a lot of games and high quality ones for all types of people. just like netflix. Again just my opinion

Agreed 100%. And with many of the masses jumping ship last gen, they missed out on some great games.

Regardless, the masses tend to buy in around the second price drop anyways, so by then, it’s a question of God of War, Uncharted, Horizon, Spider-Man, Demon’s Souls, Ratchet and Clank, Gran Turismo, FFXVI and Returnal vs. Avowed, Starfield, Forza, Hellblade, Halo, Wolfenstein, Prey(?), Everwild, Perfect Dark and Gears all included in Game Pass alonside EA Play and the console can be bought for only a small monthly fee. It is pretty clear the more tantalizing offer from a casual perspective.

I agree. I have have a family an work insane hours. Im working right now but I do get a lot of downtime at my 2nd job.so I play games. Xbox brings x cloud witch allows me to play gameso my phone and soon my pc. If I choose to bring my console to work all my saves are there and have no issues. not transferring crap. It just works. I have 3 xbox consoles now and i like that no matter which I play on evertything is synced. Much better than my ps . As someone who is always on the go xbox gives me the flexability I need. my family uses gamepass for a low each month so I save money on top of that.

1 Like

2022?

I’m probably gonna say 25-30 depending on if Square Enix Europe is willing to sell.

All their current studios plus Asobo and a Japanese studio. If SE Europe is acquired, throw in SE London, SE Montreal, Eidos Montreal, Eidos Shanghai and Crystal Dynamics.

1 Like