Xbox Game Studios |OT11| The One with Starfield and Activision Blizzard King

Didnt the entire team basically leave a year or so in? I could be totally wrong on that so please correct me if so. Perfect Dark is one of my most anticipated games though. Im one of very few who loved multiplayer in PDZ on 360… so i cant wait for whatever is next

Ah yes. I do recall people leaving and then Crystal Dynamics came on board to help out. I do get your skepticism very well.

While this may be true I focusing on the timing of all this

I don’t think this studio is that new, it’s just being made public now.

9 Likes

I know the new studio and the closures aren’t really related but I do wonder how many gross jobs were lost vs gained with this studio. Considering this sounds like a heavy hitting AAA studio akin to Naught Dog we can assume this would be 200-300 people which is about equal too if not more than the jobs lost.

I know it’s not apples to apples, but it’s an interesting observation.

1 Like

A new game to add to the 2030 release calendar with Everwild and Blade

3 Likes

Is there a different press release that says who these people are?

1 Like

Activision is a different publishing arm. They’re under the same parent company but their businesses have little to nothing to do with each other and this studio isn’t “new”, it’s just being made public now.

9 Likes

Opening Posts need to be updated, or will that be saved for the next OT? Not just closures, but projects we now know about, even small things like Castles

I get that… This is more of a timing thing.

I was speculating with my friend on Xbox about Gears 5 and Hivebusters and 6. How we both really dig the new team from Hivebusters. Could TC potentially bring that team into 6? Where in the time line was Hivebusters?

I’d love to see that team a lot more in 6 and since the 5 team has lost a member…

1 Like

Hivebusters takes place after the attack on Settlement 2, but before Chapter 2 of Gears 5.

2 Likes

New image on Toysforbob’s website. Any chance this gets announced at the June showcase? :slight_smile:

1 Like

It seems Crash related. Hope it’s not, it really seemed the studio was making Spyro, we had some insiders saying this too iirc. Crash has a fourth game, let Spyro have some fun now.

Or Banjo! Yeah, I know, not happening.

1 Like

I mean, I guess it could be Banjo although it seems more Crash related to me. But it’s purple like Spyro.

1 Like

New Zuma game licensed from PopCap!

Jk

3 Likes

I don’t know. TFB_LogoVector_TikiMask-purple.png sounds a lot like studio logo and not a new project, buy hey, who knows?

1 Like

Would be funny if they did this on purpose to mislead folks thinking it’s Crash, and then it’s Spyro, lol.

Oh, good one!

Spyro and Crash crossover game maybe?

1 Like

Absolutely on the money saying it’s not apples for apples. In cases like this the number of jobs is not really relevant as most if not all of the closed studios were in high cost countries and this one is in a comparatively low cost country.

Nothing new about this strategy and in some cases it can work really well with no loss of productivity or quality of output but it’s a card you can only play a finite number of times before you lose any benefits.

On a number of occasions I’ve personally seen work offshored over numerous iterations to lower and then lower cost regions only for the timelines and quality to degrade with each shift negating any benefits. Of course this takes some time to demonstrate itself by which time the person responsible has taken the credit for the initial saving and buggered off to a new job.

And that’s without taking into consideration the fact that the more companies (and it goes without saying everyone’s at it) outsource to any particular place eventually you will end up with a shortage of talent in that location which will lead to retention issues with your staff there and inflation of head count cost. So you either end up effectively paying what you did for your OG guys but have lost all their experience or end up with a team full of new grads. or inexperienced people who put a massive strain on any high cost brain trust you have retained.