Xbox Game Studios |OT11| The One with Starfield and Activision Blizzard King

I think they are realistic timeframes, although I pray you are right for Fable!

2025 could be a massive year if Kojima’s game and Project Mara comes out around then.

No idea about Project Shaolin and Project Dragon but I’m guessing 2026.

It was recently revealed that Creative Assembly has opened a third studio which is working on an Xbox exclusive (Gears Tactics / Halo Wars?).

Wasn’t Certain Affinity and People Can Fly rumoured to be making Xbox exclusives too? It seems there are so many in progress right now.

Yeah my list mostly doesn’t include stuff like Kojima or codenamed games or unannounced games, as they could literally land whenever. And who knows what Pentiments and Hi-Fi Rushs any of the studios could pull out their ass at any moment.

Excuse me?! I knew about the third studio but do we know it’s an Xbox game for a fact?

1 Like

People Can Fly is confirmed as they announced their Xbox deal publicly.

4 Likes

I definitely read/heard this somewhere recently but I can’t find it now! Once I do I’ll tag you :slightly_smiling_face:.

Yep there’s definitely going to be some surprises… Roundhouse has been working on something for like 4 years now, in addition Double Fine and a few others are probably beavering away!

1 Like

Yeah, stuff like Roundhouse and Double Fine are so difficult to predict (especially since Roundhouse did/is doing a lot of work on Redfall).

1 Like

Thanks!

I might have to spend a day going through the rumoured and confirmed projects to update the other OT - there’s just so many now!

Where is Double Fine? :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I said in a later reply that I left DF out because they are impossible to predict. They could shadow drop a game in January for all we know.

1 Like

Again to bring up Hivebusters played and felt amazing and very much Gears. You bring up “restrictive movement” RE 4, remake of the game that greatly inspired Gears has very restrictive movement compared to other games (albeit with things like dodge and parry) yet released to critical and fan acclaim. Gears is still the standard when it comes to gunplay in a TPS and pretty much the standard. I just think maybe some people just don’t like Gears but expect it to change for them.

Anyway I will die on the hill of , next Gears should be like Hivebusters but bigger.

1 Like

You’re describing God of War and it’s a generational success for PlayStation (although “on rails” is not fair).

Gears will be fine.

3 Likes

https://x.com/stevesaylor/status/1701266842856087729?s=46&t=O_AGT9SEnlptKOF_2SxtqQ

9 Likes

Yeah, I didn’t pay attention that it was referring to Lyon.

1 Like

RE4 though is a very different concept to gears and I think there is an audience for a survival horror game - a true one in that sort of style. Less so a third person shooter.

I get your point about ‘making a game just for some people’ but I can’t see gears growing without changes. Sometimes games and styles of genres are just not relevant anymore. And gears for me is one example. In a decade it will probably come back round.

I would argue that while RE is survival horror, RE4 in particular is the most action oriented and pretty much set the standard for the modern tps while Gears took the ball and ran with it. The biggest problem I always had with the notion that Gears gameplay is “outdated” is that nothing really plays like Gears, and most people when they say they want a series to “evolve” usually means they just want it to play like everything else out.

2 Likes

The thing with Fable is that a bunch of journalist have been pretty smug about it being a “2026” game. What makes you think it is coming next year?

There is absolutely zero chance they would have shown it this summer if it was 2026. They just wouldn’t.

I think it’s Fall 2024 because that would be 6-7 years of development, which is a lot. Beyond that would be unreasonable. It’s also the 20th anniversary of Fable. Maybe it slips to first half of 2025, but I think that’s the latest it goes. It’s been in full dev for a while and they’ve supposedly got Eidos assisting them now.

Obviously I could be wrong, but I just don’t believe it’s any later than 2025. Also, there are plenty of other announced and unnannounced games that will be landing in the 2025-2026 period. They can’t have like 8 games in 2025 or 2026 and that’s what we’re looking at if all we have in 2024 are the games we know about.

I think we get at least 1-2 more big games in 2024, and Fable as the big holiday tentpole makes the most sense.

Edit: I also think Forza Horizon 6 will be 2026, and there’s no way Horizon 6 launches before Fable.

8 Likes

Iv always assumed Fable would be 2025

Ya’ll underestimating ID. They are pretty consistently taking 4 years for their games and never more than 5 years. With Eternal coming out early 2020, I think we see their game next year. Throw COVID in there and i think 2025 is realistic for their release, 2024 is optimistic but not impossible. Especially as Todd and Phil have specifically called out ID’s game as something they are excited about / impressed by.

1 Like

id could easily be 2025. That’s what I’m saying, 2025 is already stacked. If all we get in 2024 is Avowed, Hellblade, Towerborne, Ara and MSFS, not only is that a bit of a step down from 2023 in terms of big games, but it also leaves FAR TOO MANY games for 2025 and 2026. At least one or two of them have to be targeting earlier.

1 Like

Ok, Fable and an Id project sound reasonable for 2024.

3 Likes