Xbox Game Studios |OT| Halo...is it me you’re looking for?

Hey all! Been a long time lurker of the Resetera forum for a while (I only had a plebeian email). There’s been a few things that I’ve been wanting to get some discussion on:

1. There was a Halo “leak” on reddit awhile ago that I think was overlooked. It was shut down by Klobrille for the sprint aspect, but there was something interesting about it. There were a couple things listed in the leaks that I KNOW to be true about the game, and were a bit too specific to be coincidence or a guess. I know that the person deleted their post “admitting” they were fake. But it seemed to me more like their posts were a hodge podge collection of BS rumors, some possible leaks, and some pure speculation.

2. I am not super tech minded, so I’m have a question about the controversy of exclusive games still having to be designed with the Xbone in mind. Why is this any different than a normal PC game? I understand the principle and frankly would rather that games aren’t anchored to the Xbone, but PC games have to run on a wide variety of specs, yet the top end games are not “weighed down” by potato PC’s.

it’s simple. SSD’s are still far from becoming a standard on PC. What Sony is doing is their exclusives won’t release on anything but the PS5, as they’re gonna fundamentally use the SSD to design the game levels, load times, around the speed of the SSD, which PCs can’t do currently because SSDs are not the de facto storage. Maybe, a few years down the line, SSDs start coming up in minimum requirements sections of games that shall ditch the HDD for better design and load times from the ground up. The held back for Xbox one concern is because the original Xbox has a really bad CPU and still in the antiquated HDD paradigm, so games made for both Series X and Xbox One can’t leverage SSD without also having to accomodate for a last gen paradigm.

1 Like

Cool. Simple enough, thanks!

Chris Lee talking Halo Infinite.

So, Pidgey was banned on reset for being an alt. Does he/she post here at all? I’ve always enjoyed their posts.

Edit: Typo.

I personally don’t. His constant panicking (even more lately) was one of the reasons the XGS OT there had become unreadable to me as of late. One would think there will be no 3rd party games the next 2yr on Xbox if you go by his comments

2 Likes

LOL, undeniably true, but still. Maybe I’m so fond of them because their such a familiar “face” I’ve seen them around since I’ve been on reset three or so years ago :slight_smile: He/she may take their concerns a little far but I still enjoy their input.

Getting more and more excited about Wasteland 3 each day! :smiley:

5 Likes

I’m still sad that KI isn’t getting a sequel anytime soon :frowning:

2 Likes

That’s a good point. I hadn’t given it that much thought, but police chases would fundamentally change the dynamic of play, would take away the fun and freedom of the gameplay. Maybe they could do something similar but put their spin on it, like just in certain events, like a race but you’re being chased.

So… I’ve figured out why I was so disappointed in the Halo reveal… I went back and looked at all the pre-gameplay reveal and I think my expectations were led by the initial ‘Slipspace engine’ /in-engine reveal.

The detail of the world that was shown, the lighting, the ‘wildlife’, the vistas… All of that screamed next-gen to me when I saw them.

And then the generic/flat look of the gameplay threw me for a loop.

I’m really hoping that those ‘in engine’ samples weren’t total bullshots and are reflected in the final game.

Anyone else think that the mismatch in the two led to their disappointment in the gameplay?

Yes, that Slipspace “engine demo” (key words here) did contribute to this feeling. However, I have rewatched the Halo Infinite gameplay reveal in 4K multiple times and think that the art style and hopefully polished presentation prior to launch will turn out great. More importantly the gameplay looks awesome to me with just that small glance with the grappling hook especially. And in fairness that Slipsapce demo when I rewatched in 4K also was not that crazy off from Halo Infinite when just considering the closest thing to “gameplay” from that trailer where the Warthog was zipping across the landscape. The showing off stuff was basically zoomed in things to show texture detail and such that isn’t really that indicative of gameplay.

2 Likes

I expected something like that to happen. The gameplay totally satisfied me and I’m sure there is gonna be a ton of content. About the graphics, I think it is more related to what the engine has to do besides the textures, like AI, physics, framerates, split-screen and such, and probably many other things I’m not even thinking about. Cross-gen as well is a part of that and the pandemic certainly didn’t help anything at all. I think it is Klobrille who even said that the campaign is running only at 30 FPS on Xbox One X.

The thing with Engine trailers is that they only show what the engine could be capable of doing in certain conditions. The application of the engine in full games is often really different from the presentation tailer, especially when developers still have to get used to the engine. That being said, I fully expect the game to look better, due to the demo being a previous build, and the optimization phase only being at the end of the development cycle.

I keep saying. Make forza street the next big forza spin-off. Forza street : forgiato edition, the spiritual successor to midnight club 3: dub edition

2 Likes

What do you think is the ceiling or Compulsion Games ? Both Contrast and We Happy Few have interesting settings and story. But both also have problems with bugs, gameplay and AI (in WHF). They are still a small studio and I can imagine they will making a game similar to A Plague Tale. Storydriven with an interesting setting.

They are planning to grow to the size of 90 people. Their next game is definitely big based on job listings.

1 Like

Thanks for the information. Hopefully the new game is more polished and don’t play like rubbish.

1 Like

I think people underestimate Compulsion. They could def make some big spiritual successor to Bioshock. We Happy Few was just on a Kickstarter budget

Personally, I believe those previous Halo Infinite trailer graphics are possible on the Series X. It’s just that Infinite looks worse than Far Cry 5 and RDR2 open world games that are also 4k with tons of AI… On weaker hardware. I know they run at 60 fps but I expect the visual quality of those games to be possible on the Series X at 60fps.

It seems to me that the Slipspace engine simply doesn’t scale well enough…

To be honest, I didn’t find the Ai in RDR 2 particluarly brilliant. Most of the time, the enemy just put themselves in front of you.

1 Like