Xbox becomes the official gaming partner of the French National Football Teams

As someone who doesn’t follow the sport at all are you able to tell me the difference between Champions League and the World Cup. I get the World Cup is like the olympics of the sport right? and I assume Champions League is the Europe cup sort of thing? Which one is more important.

1 Like
4 Likes

Champions league is for European individual clubs. It’s held every year for 6-8 months afair.

World Cup is an international teams tournament held every 4 years for a whole month.

World Cup is definitely the more important one, it’s as global as it gets with viewers and spectators from all around the world watching and cheering for their countries. While Champions League is also very big too and is held yearly, it’s less international and emotional, the World Cup is more special, emotional, and the viewership and spectator numbers dwarf that of Champions League by more than 5x

2 Likes

All the things that are happening just when Phil got promoted to CEO of Microsoft gaming…

5 Likes

Is this the same partnership like England Federation or bigger? I don’t watch football so I don’t know if there’s xbox adverts on the stadium like Playstation.

An american view on it is World Cup is to NFL as Champions League is to XFL, and the other leagues are like various Arena Football leagues…

So basically Champions League is where all those Barcelona etc. clubs are competing and the World Cup is where the national teams are competing?

More

3 Likes

As a European this gets me really excited because COD and FIFA are the 2 biggest games yearly, no other game comes close. They got COD and the only thing remaining to get FIFA as well is marketing. I’ve been screaming for over a decade that they should sponsor heavily into football because it’s THE biggest individual sport by a mile, like not even close.

But I hope…I hope…someone at MS, Xbox can see that while these sponsorships are great, it’s not as big as the CL. They need to become a partner with UEFA for the champions league. Forget the World Cup. It’s not that important compared to the CL because it’s a once in 4 year event that barely lasts a couple weeks. Champions League however is the big one for Xbox. It’s yearly and it’s big and it lasts almost the entire season. The viewerships is crazy here. Just 1 CL final match has almost double the viewership of super bowl and that’s just 1 match. I’ve always wanted MS to get the sponsorship for the CL over Sony. I think when that happens, MS will gain a significant boost from the FIFA gamers which are mostly 1 game a year casual customers.

Still…it’s great to see MS slowly but surely investing/marketing big time here in Europe. It’s something I have never seen before and I hope this is just a start.

Until CL contracts expire, Microsoft can’t do much. But I think with them throwing around big money, they will participate in the biddings over CL marketing. Sony will have to try harder. Just like with the bidding over the fabs.

Finally the company with the market cap of Italy is doing the moves.

3 Likes

Seriously, ms vs sony last generetion could be defined by this:

Now sony is facing an xbox with MS full support and Im pretty sure no one at sony espected that. Will be interesting to see the things sony might do to compete long term…like day 1 pc ports :eyes:

2 Likes

Xbox with full Microsoft backing is essentially the existence completely in the different league from Sony.

We can even see it right now. Stuff like ATVI acquisition literally changes the gaming world landscape in comparison to FF moneyhat.

2 Likes

It expired last year. I’m well aware.

I’ve been mentioning this for over a decade. They’ve had, and will continue to have, their chances. I just hope they actually go for it eventually

Playstation is still UCL sponsor though? Or do you mean it’s year by year now?

I think if you compare the sponsorship impact of one World Cup vs one UCL, the World Cup would have a bigger impact. But because UCL is every year it’s where it shows better long term.

1 Like

I wonder if they can get a shirt sponsor for an EPL club

Now that EA doesn’t have FIFA I wonder if Microsoft can get the license, would be huge for Xbox, anyway this is a very good sign that marketing will get better and it is time, Starfield needs to be that game that’s on a lot of TV ads this fall, I remember seeing Fallout 4 ads all over TV, Starfield needs that too.

EA still has all the football/soccer team licenses. Those are separate licenses. The only thing the FIFA licenses provides is “World Cup” and “FIFA”.

1 Like

You’re right I mean WC is 3-4-5x bigger but it’s 3 weeks then nothing for 4 years again whereas CL has probably just as many if not more viewership if you accumulate it over 4 years + you’ll be on peoples minds constantly. Would be even better if they can grab both.

1 Like

Zut alors!