Xbox | An RPG Powerhouse

15 Likes

Now just needs the JRPG’s as well, and I don’t have a reason to buy anything else

3 Likes

It’s very weird what becomes the latest fad gaming phenomenon.

• 2013-2015 - GTA V
  • 2016 - Pokemon Go
  • 2017 - Zelda BOTW
  • 2018 - PubG
  • 2019 - Fortnite
  • 2020 - Animal Crossing

It’s mostly NOT RPGs that people are interested in, but social games.

Yet I keep hearing that single-player, cinematic focused games are what matter. Maybe to Sony.

2 Likes

I can’t wait for the flood of Elder Scrolls, Fallout, Avowed, Fable, Starfield and more. These games are so my jam. I just wish we didn’t have a couple years to wait before it all starts.

1 Like

Witcher 3 and Skyrim are huge

5 Likes

What really excites me is not just the devs and franchises, but the tech potential. There isn’t a single genre that is more well suited to really show off and make use of machine learning than open world rpg’s. There is room for potential cloud enhancements here too that most other genres don’t have a contextual reason to explore as thoroughly.

1 Like

I’m telling you, the reason for all these RPG buyouts is linked to GPT-3. That shit will do some crazy things in gaming and Microsoft have the exclusive use of it.

3 Likes

What’s GPT-3?

There’s a reason why they invested so much in rpg studios, because outside live service online games, RPGs are the only ones able to provide the longevity and retention ranging 50 to 100+ hours. You see where I’m getting at? Gamepass requires you to stay subscribed and what better way to do that with both live service games (Halo, Gears, Forza, Grounded, SoT, Bleeding Edge, ESO, FO76, etc) but also sprawling large single player RPGs that can be played as long and as many times as you want (Fallout 5, Elder Scrolls 6, Fable, Avowed, InXile’s next game, etc)

It is crystal clear at this point that RPGs shall be a major focus for Xbox this gen with other genres being sprinkled around them throughout the years like Hellblade 2, Initiative and compulsions games, etc.

5 Likes

And mixing in the sports games and multi-player from EA helps with retention too

1 Like

Great article and really highlights the sheer experience inside XGS with RPG. This generation will blow minds.

1 Like

Yeah. The next thing they need to do is drop paid multiplayer soon otherwise its just a dumbass, fragmented ecosystem where different parts get preferential treatment. Ffs at least for f2p games, one of the main reasons why I’ll not buy an Xbox until that’s sorted.

Don’t they realize how they’re losing even more fortnite warzone etc installbase to playstation because of that? Series S has such an amazing potential to become the de facto fortnite cod machine yet that announcement is nowhere to be seen

1 Like

Shooters too. Of course they’ve had Halo and Gears forever, but now add Doom, Wolfenstein, Quake, Rage, and Arkane’s games to that. You got multiplayer shooters, single-player shooters, first person, third person, covered-based, run n gun, “immersive sim” shooters… everyone gets their gun of choice! The American way!

2 Likes
3 Likes

Doubt they bought these companies for that reason, but the overlap in tech potential here is monumental imho. Especially with these games being exclusive to Xbox where devs can have free reign to build games for ML inference. The vast, vast majority of gamers right now legit have absolutely no clue how much this will change games on Xbox in the coming yrs. Ppl gonna be shocked.

2 Likes

This was great! RPG is my no1 genre and there is no way I could choose another console now, 0% chance that I’m missing out on Fallout, Elder Scrolls or Obsidian games.

3 Likes

I’m newer to the Xbox fandom and bought in because of Game Pass and I caught wind of the Obsidian rumours. Two years later they bought fucking Bethesda. If I hadn’t been all in before, I sure as hell would be now. Throw in a Fable reboot, genuine back compat, InXile, Double Fine, fucking Ninja Theory, Compulsion, the second parties, the actual commitment to strategy games and graphic adventure.

I think I’ve said this before, but Xbox has become all the aspects I love of Nintendo and Sony without many of their drawbacks. It’s insane.

4 Likes

WRPGs are my favourite genre, so this upcoming generation is incredibly exciting. Avowed and Starfield are what I’m looking forward to most, but I also can’t wait to see Playground’s take on Fable.

I do wish BioWare was still able to partner with Microsoft, as I would have loved to see how the Mass Effect series would have gone had they continued to be the publisher.

1 Like

That was a great video.

My favourite genre now on my preferred platform, what a time to be alive.

1 Like

Now we just need more JRPG’s and the circle will be complete.

3 Likes