Xbox Acquisition |OT7| Come on down for your chance to win on “Who will Xbox buy next?!”

I would love a game like Cuphead with Looney Tunes characters or a reboot of Mad Max by The Coalition. They could also develop a lot of games in the DC Comics universe (Batman, Joker, Redhood, Deathstroke, Titans, Task Force X, Gotham Sirens, Harley Quinn, Superman, Peacemaker, Green Arrow, Lobo, Flash, Wonder Woman, Green Lantern , Aquaman, Watchmen…). Imagine a Batman game by Arkane or a game that immerses us in the madness of the Joker by Ninja Theory. There are so many interesting possibilities. I think the Harry Potter universe can still be expanded. Hogwarts Legacy was a great success. There are also great things to do with Game of Thrones. An MMO RPG by ZOS or a 4X strategy game would be interesting. A Scooby-Doo investigation game in the Ace Attorney style would be fun.

If Microsoft buys Warner and Square Enix, they could probably develop a sort of Kingdom Hearts in the Warner universe, or a JRPG in the DC Comics universe with Justice League. It would be interesting to see the work of Japanese developers on these characters. I’m also thinking about possible partnerships with Microsoft’s GAAS like COD, Minecraft, Sea of ​​Thieves… There would be a lot of interesting and fun things to do with this acquisition.

2 Likes

There is definitely great potential for an animated Banjo Kazooie tv series, if Microsoft buys WBD, but in truth I only see them going after the video game division.

Which would still be helpful and No One Lives Forever can then be brought back too.

Warner Brothers has $44Billion in debt lol. Have you guys considered how WB as a company is performing? I think how it benefits Xbox is likely not in the top 5 reasons for acquiring (or not) Warner Bros.

3 Likes

Yeah, let’s go. Let’s go Warner Bros. Let’s do it!

1 Like

Microsoft passed on WB in 2020 for a price that was said to be around $6B at most due to having to pay for all the licenses so I don’t see this changing. Besides, after ABK, I think Microsoft stays quiet for a while unless it’s an independent studio here and there which if anything, is what they should go after.

Wasn’t that Warner Bros Games not Warner Bros Discovery as a whole?

Presumably if MS brought it all including the IP the licensing costs wouldn’t be necessary.

Just for fun it would be something if Microsoft acquired Sony and there was a trailer of Master chief removing his helmet and a face reveal of Kratos. I know this won’t happen though.

No offense, but y’all need help. :laughing:

1 Like

It’s just a joke since their both Spartans nothing more.

The debt concerns the main industry groups. Comcast has a debt of 100 billion, Disney has a debt of 37 billion, Paramount has a debt of 14 billion. Warner isn’t doing too bad with 44 billion in debt considering they are valued at only 20 billion and have huge potential to get back to their best. It seems to me that Warner is one of the few majors to repay its debt quickly and Max is the only streaming platform (along with Netflix) not to lose money. I think it could be a great investment. Warner’s value will likely increase in the coming months with the worldwide release of Max and the launch of the new DC Comics universe by James Gunn. Warner is a great opportunity for a giant like Microsoft.

Of course, Microsoft won’t buy Warner for Xbox, but on an Xbox forum, it’s interesting to see the benefits it would have for Xbox and the video game industry. The acquisition will be based on the film and television industry, but the excellent synergy between the activities of Warner and Microsoft should be considered. Warner would bring a lot more than movies and TV, and it would probably be very interesting for Microsoft (not just Xbox). Giants like Amazon and Apple have invested in this industry to diversify their business, so there are likely profits to be made. There’s no indication that Microsoft is interested, but it could be an interesting strategy.

5 Likes

So people want Microsoft to acquire WB Discovery? I thought people just wanted the WB Games part.

1 Like

Why would it be a great opportunity when you even mentioned in a previous post that the industry is not in good shape? Why spend that much money to invest in an industry that has questionable growth in its future?

It’s fine to think about all of the wonderful things that could happen from it, it just comes across as pretty unrealistic and fantasy-land to me.

1 Like

Because this allows you to buy at low cost and multiply the value of your acquisition in the years to come. The film and television industry is not in good shape at the moment, so you think it will disappear in the coming years? Will people stop consuming films and series? In your opinion, in 10 years, with the projects in development and the deployment of Max around the world, will the value of Warner be less or more than 20 billion? It’s called an investment, there is a risk, as with any investment, but yes it’s a great opportunity when you can get what was one of the biggest companies in the industry for 20 billion. Microsoft has taken far more foolish risks in the past. Amazon spent more than 8 billion to acquire MGM. Apple invests several billion each year in Apple TV. Why are the biggest companies in the world looking to enter this industry if it has no future? We should also not underestimate the advantages that Microsoft would obtain by owning a television channel, and obviously the synergies in terms of AI, services, advertising, and marketing. Warner would make a lot more sense than you might think for the development of a company like Microsoft.

1 Like

TBF Apple, Amazon and Google are all in Film and TV to a various degree.

2 Likes

If WB Discovery were to go for sale, MS would be one of the few suitors who isn’t already established in the industry.

2 Likes

Yeah, true. No argument there.

2 Likes

I’d argue that it’s unlikely that film will ever return to its pre-COVID numbers and that streaming is getting more and more competitive and the growth isn’t anything special (many streaming services are experiencing a loss of customers).

Amazon and Apple aren’t looking to enter the industry, they have been there. They entered the industry while it was booming and there wasn’t as much competition. Now it’s extremely competitive, people haven’t gone back to theaters, and they are dealing with people striking over the threat of AI. Amazon bought MGM for $8 billion debt included. Warner Brothers would be $20+ billion with an additional $40+ billion in debt.

Seems to me that it’s a lot of money to spend with a lot of risk and not a ton of upside. There are many better strategic opportunities to spend $60 billion.

3 Likes

I could see WBD buyout early next year. MS want to make more money, with Windows division falling below gaming they could see the streaming industry how another entertaiment assets to acquire.

1 Like

Agreed WBD is just not feasible.

With Sony in talks to acquire Paramount I can definitely see Microsoft moving towards Warner we have seen that transmedia can literally give a second life to games that are over 10 years old as shown by Fallout 4 #1 in sales in several countries. It is obvious that if the Minecraft movie with Jack Black is a success Minecraft will have a huge gain in popularity especially if the movie introduces new mobs that can be added into Minecraft I think it is important to have elements that belong to the movies/series like Lucy’s backpack and the Vault 33 outfit that you can put in the games. the Minecraft movie should have this stuff, you can also sell merchandising like Lucy’s bag, shelter 33 suits, T-shirts, Mugs…

I think Microsoft realizes the power of transmedia cinema-video games, books, toys, goodies, Apple, Amazon, Sony all their competitors have their own cinema division except them. I don’t know if a cinema division alone is profitable but when you can make films, games, toys, comics/books, goodies that work with a single IP it becomes very interesting.

it would be very fun to see Sony own the rights to the Halo series

and Microsoft owns the rights to The Last of Us series