Xbox Acquisition |OT6| If this is about competition, let us have competition

their used to be one…it was the xbox discussion one, it used to be generic gaming acquisition talk (or at least that is how it was treated)

2 Likes

We should scratch the studio of the acquisition list now.

…is that the guy behind ninja gaiden?

That and dead or alive series

ah, an acquisition never really made sense to me. I thought a partnership made way more sense personally

Out of all the acquisitions Sony has made, this one only one I wanted Xbox to make. I totally understand the reasoning behind but it would’ve made so much sense for Xbox to have Bungie back. From a marketing perspective the OG Halo creators (at least by name) and from a development standpoint Bungie’s live service expertise are unmatched. And not to mentioned they are a massive studio and still growing.

As nice as that’d be, I can’t imagine how annoying it’d be to have people talk non stop about how they should take over Halo.

3 Likes

People would just need to come to the realization that Bungie wouldn’t make a Halo game unless they wanted to. I think DoubleFine/Tim did an great job at letting people know they weren’t making Banjo game.

1 Like

That would be the Community Thread - the XGS OT has always been, and was meant to be strictly that discussion.

1 Like

hence I corrected myself in the brackets

Hi guys l, new here. I know people think Xbox will buy a big Japanese publisher to get into the market over there, but imo they won’t.

Sony isn’t doing amazing over there either, Nintendo is absolutely dominating.

I can see Xbox buying more western studios after the activision deal. This could force Japanese games to not miss out on Xbox sales if they get even more market share in the west.

I can see Xbox buying someone like cdpr tbh, especially after cyberpunk, this might be the best time. Maybe even Wb or Larian studios.

8 Likes

Welcome to XboxEra!

I 100% agree, it’s something I have also been saying for quite some time. Although I’d personally love for them to get SEGA I think they will continue buying publishers & studios with the biggest IP’s and player bases which are typically in the west.

Once Xbox grows their market share to equal or even surpass PS it’s going to be difficult for a Japanese developer to skip such a huge audience base on Xbox. IMO it will also become increasingly more difficult for PS to money hat titles such as FF and SF, which is easy now when they have over twice as many consoles in people’s homes.

The eastern market is dominated by mobile gaming, if they want short term success there they need to either buy up more mobile publishers or release a handheld whether that be native or cloud.

8 Likes

Hi thanks. Yeh I agree, xbox already has a good relationship with sega, I can still see them buying a smaller studio like platinum, but no big publishers. I hope they get cdpr, wb or larian.

6 Likes

Welcome to the forum !

2 Likes

Here’s some interesting data from Twitter.

This data definitely shows that they need to get more Japanese content and studios. I honestly thought that the US would be number one for the country that talked about gaming the most.

1 Like

Analytics like this are always a little skewed though, Twitter is huge in Japan so much so that over 45% of the entire population use it, making it the 2nd biggest market for Twitter.

Is it really that much of a surprise that the most mentioned games are also Japanese?

If anything I would say Genshin is more surprising considering it is Chinese (although JRPG in style)

Also when you compare this against the most played games in Japan it also doesn’t correlate. For example League of Legends absolutely destroys Valorant with the number of active players, but LoL isn’t mentioned whereas Valorant is!

4 Likes

Most bot farms are setup and run from outside of the US.

2 Likes

Cheers!

1 Like

welcome

I don’t think they care where someone is located tbh. I doubt they would choice someone either another because they are or aren’t located in Japan. I could easily see them pick up someone like capcom and assuming the sammy sega part isn’t an issue I honestly think SEGA is really likely…the issue is I think the sammy part is an issue but that is just me. That being said I think they are more likely to target bigger companies like EA or T2

this is true. Sony has lost a shit ton of market share to Nintendo in Japan. The dominate platforms in Japan are the switch, PC and Mobile

I don’t see CDPR or WB at all because they lack compelling IP making a worth while acquisition that would help game pass and 0 clue who Larian studios is but I think MS focus is way more on publishers than studio’s

1 Like

The Witcher is not a compelling IP?

Batman, Harry Potter, LEGO & LOTOR are not compelling IP’s?

Or do you mean ownership if they were to acquire them (e.g. licensing)?