Xbox Acquisition |OT6| If this is about competition, let us have competition

that doesnt do much

Far better than wasting anymore time with Activision IMO

1 Like

if they leave it then CMA will also block sega on same basis

9 Likes

and that’s exactly why they should fight for the ABK acquisition to the end

3 Likes

I see your point and I agree that MS should be the villain (as Nick said last week) but the problem with this is that moneyhatting a 3rd party game AND putting it on Game Pass day one will cost a lot of money…if they instead decide to just moneyhat games without putting them on Game Pass that goes against their whole “Game Pass is everything for us” plan and I am pretty sure that a part of the fanbase won’t be happy about that too since we have associated everything exclusive by Xbox with Game Pass now (which I guess was the plan all along).

Doing some partnerships/fundings with big publishers/developers makes more sense for Game Pass than moneyhatting “planned as multiplatform” games but the problem with that is that the former option will take some time while “Sony style” moneyhats can be much quicker deals that can fill some holes in their near future line-up but with the Game Pass inclusion being a question mark.

Either way it will be interesting to see how MS will react to all of this from now on, a behemoth of a company like MS surely must have had a plan B (C and E to be honest) in the possibility that this deal won’t go through so let’s lay back and see how this unfolds.

3 Likes

They never blocked Bethesda . It was all about stopping COD on GamePass. I dont fancy another year of this myself…

2 Likes

Yeah, the social media manager is involved in a potential negotiation between Square and Microsoft.

2 Likes

I think if MS were open to their staff and said for the next 6 months it’s going to be hard, but we’ve got a huge fight on our hands with Playstation and bais regulation, but we must get some of the big games out this year, but caveats like all overtime, over the agreed working week, is double time and after the game goes gold the staff involved have a 4-week break from work on full pay (like the Japanese staff tend to do)

Maybe the staff would be ready for a fight.

Are you really suggesting that Microsoft should force crunch periods on its employees just so they can win this hypothetical console war against Sony? Microsoft needs to manage its developers better, it’s true, but no company should force crunch periods

9 Likes

Microsoft should focus on adding large mobile publishers. They’ve in essence been told that’s okay. Absolutely no one has any issue with King. They don’t have any of that market. They also don’t use cloud. Microsoft will undoubtedly be hard up for acquisitions, but this is a clear area where regulators appear to be okay with it. Microsoft can even cite the regulatory analysis of the mobile market if needed and their often stated goals of expanding into the mobile market and their app store. It only impacts existing markets.

It’s really just the cleanest way to expand. It’s just not the sexy improvement to Xbox that we all want, but it’s what makes business sense.

People saying Microsoft don’t have the money for money hats are crazy. Even in 3rd place they have more than enough, they just don’t want to. Their plan is to own ips.

3 Likes

It’s not about not having the money, it’s about it not maiking financial sense

For playstation moneyhatting is easy because they are the market leader

For Xbox to moneyhat they would need to cover losses from Playstation, not to mention if they want it in GP Day 1 that more money op top of that again

It’s why they are trying to avoid these things, owning IP is definitely better and something they prefer but if they could get these deals as easy and as cheap as Sony they’d be doing much more of them

2 Likes

Yup, this is the challenge they have - even when it comes to marketing deals Sony are making 30% on every copy sold and there’s more copies sold on their platform. Microsoft competing on all of these sorts of deals means spending more money while making less in return.

3 Likes

Yea and it’s why it just makes more sense for xbox to just straight up buy companies instead

1 Like

Not liking where some of the tone is headed; let’s leave the console warring nonsense and anti-workers’ rights garbage at the door please.

18 Likes

i don’t think SEGA will sell to anyone unless MS, SEGA is doing fine (so doesn’t need to sell itself desperately), so i think the time to appeal not will be a probably will give time to anyone buy.

the eidos/crystal one was happened because square wanted money fast for that NFT business and both sadly underperformed their games.

If the ABK deal does not go through, they need to focus on independent studios and make them all Xbox and PC exclusive and lots of them, it doesn’t have to effect that they are going for but there are so many studios out there that will not need regulator approval it’s just the better way to go. Big publishers catch the attention of the gaming world and press but singular studios will produce new owned IP that never has to come off gamepass, I do wonder if publisher acquisitions are now significantly harder no matter the size given the news from the last couple days.

NOBODY wants another year of this but as was stated before it sets a very bad precedent when it comes to the CMA and other possible acquisitions. I think it’s best to put this in the background because it’s going to be a while before it’s resolved. I don’t see Xbox playing coy with what games they’re releasing anymore over this. We’re past that point. Just look forward to June.

5 Likes

Xbox Acquisitions

2018-2021

R.I.P

12 Likes