Xbox Acquisition |OT6| If this is about competition, let us have competition

Thank god its content parity and not technical parity.

1 Like

looks like people are runningwith the xbox games part as all xbox games. this is why xbox needs to be more clear on these things and there is always dought about its first party being exclusive

Oh ffs, read the image in the Tweet itself. Only two people on this forum have taken it as anything other than “bringing Call of Duty to Nintendo players”. The image doesn’t have a character cap, it’s not rocket science.

Edit: I should have elaborated a bit but the other place and Twitter are not a great barometer for level-headed, rational interpretation on the matter, and this wasn’t directed at you rather the fact that people are misinterpreting it as such. I mean, for one, the IP ‘Call of Duty’ is specified in the image provided by Brad no less than four times. One could also argue that ‘Xbox games’ isn’t a misnomer or a hidden sign beyond CoD and the current stable of Xbox games already released on Switch - Ori, Minecraft, Banjo, etc.

2 Likes

Lol its not ms fault twitter is full of dumb fanboys. How can they be clearer?

3 Likes

Prince of persia is owned by jordan mechner. But id love a modern one.

No idea why ms haven mt tried to acquire the splinter cell IP.

They should have bought the mass effect and splinter cell ip long time ago just like gears

4 Likes

This means they aren’t backing down on divesting Activision side, which I find absurd that people really tought it would be a case when Blizzard is the biggest candidate one in a situation like this by very far.

They aren’t going to back down on that until the very end, assuming divesting is something they are open to and still want BK

They’ll offer whatever they can to get it all until it’s clear the behavioural won’t suffice

1 Like

Its going to be more like AK at the worst case possible, Blizzard rep has been draining for a decade and they have less IPs to be worked on than Activision.

I’m probably missing something, but all of the drama about this transaction appears to be about CoD. I imagine any acceptable remedies will concern how that franchise is handled going forward, without any substitution.

4 Likes

I think that after the acquisition of Activision Blizzard King XBOX will soon announce the acquisition of a Japanese publisher Brad Smith has to understand at the European Commission that Sony holds 96% market share in Japan compared to XBOX which owns only 4%. Microsoft should have no problem acquiring in Japan.

11 Likes

Please

21 Likes

16 Likes

I also think Japan is a logical next step for the next publisher, but I can also see Microsoft buying a few independent studios (mostly Western) before embarking on the next big acquisition. I see only two potential targets for Japanese publishers: SEGA and Capcom. In terms of probability, I would say 70% for SEGA and 30% for Capcom. Both are amazing editors. I think Capcom would have more impact in the industry, but SEGA has a deep history with Microsoft and we all want to see SEGA join the Xbox family. There’s a huge amount of talent at SEGA, and it would be very exciting to see what they would be able to do as first party studios (with more time and budget). I’m a huge fan of their games. It’s clearly one of my favorite editors in the industry, but that goes for Capcom too. I think there is no bad choice with these two.

3 Likes

8 Likes

I can definitely see Sega. The gamepass deals and that awesome rollout marketing for Persona 5 Royal

1 Like

What is also very interesting with SEGA is that Microsoft will get studios like Relic (AOE4) or Creative Assembly (Halo Wars 2) who have already worked with them. They would therefore no longer have to worry about who is going to develop their strategy games (Microsoft is going to get Blizzard, but Blizzard will continue to be Blizzard, it is not going to develop the next Age of Empire). Microsoft will therefore strengthen its presence on PC with many talented studios (which is already growing), but more and more of these strategy / management games are now being ported to console, so it would also be a definite asset for the console from Microsoft, which would be the only one to offer this type of game. We could even imagine nice collaborations with Bethesda or Blizzard (through the Total War series for example, in the Elder Scrolls or Warcraft universe). I think it’s one of the great strengths of SEGA to highlight. Then you have RGG and Atlus which are amazing in Japanese RPG. You also get one of the big mascots in the industry with Sonic, and other mainstream games like Monkey Ball, Samba de Amigo, Hatsune Miku. So I think SEGA would really be an amazing acquisition for Microsoft on so many levels. I think a few independent Japanese studios could complement SEGA and allow Microsoft to produce very strong Japanese content. In the end, there is very little chance of that happening, but for me the ideal would be to get SEGA + Capcom, because I find that the two publishers complement each other wonderfully and would allow Microsoft to cover all types of video games, with iconic IPs and extremely solid Japanese content. But again, getting one of these two would already be amazing.

4 Likes

In this theoretical, Japan is an opportunity to go after Sony after all of this. I really think after hearing both Satya Nadella and Brad Smith comment on their 4% market share there that they would absolutely go after someone that Sony has close ties to (that still makes sense for their business).

To me, that screams Capcom. Capcom is an already streamlined gaming business that would not need to undergo a lot of divestment or closing business segments. Capcom also has that long time relationship with Sony, particularly with Resident Evil and Sony has a lot of their marketing contracts. These Japanese franchises have a good following in the west so its less risk than other Japanese publishers as well.

Regarding Monster Hunter, I’m sure they’d announce right away their intention to sign contract to continue delivering it to Nintendo right away. Get ahead of the whole question.

Anyways, hope I’m wrong, rather get Sega.

I think Sega is going to more willing to sell than Capcom, which I think is more important than who we think is the best fit in this context.

Still think that any Japanese publisher they buy is going to want to remain multiplatform to some degree as well. I don’t know if any of them are jumping at the chance to effectively exit their local market by going exclusive to Microsoft.

7 Likes

Because the conversation is here, here is the recent regional revenue splits for the Japanese publishers. This is not just gaming divisions but all sources of income for them.

Credit to fiendcode from Installbase

7 Likes

Yeah, after seeing that 94/6 share that PS has over Xbox in Japan lol i think we can forget about going full exclusive.

2 Likes