Xbox Acquisition |OT5| Talking Exclusively About Xbox Acquisitions

Maybe I’m biased but Division (personal bias as it’s in my top 3 all time), Splinter Cell, Ghost Recon, AC, Beyond Good and Evil, Prince of Persia…and I’m obviously leaving stuff out that I’m indifferent on (Rainbow Six, Far Cry)

That library is INSANE and they have the E-rated/Family content

1 Like

I don’t know if they are the best buy but they are definitely a good buy due to their stock tanking like shit, the powerful line up of IPs and the fact just folding Uplay+ into game pass could make bring their back cat to game pass easy. Like right now Microsoft (or someone else) could probably pick them up for a similar amount they got zenimax for, not to mention they would do the same thing acquiring EA would do for Microsoft with WRPG. Acquiring Ubisoft would give Microsoft a majority control over that genre with the only other major players being CDPR, EA (Bioware) and some Sony studio’s (for reference, EA would give Microsoft a majority control over FPS games with the only notable others being Ubisoft, Valve which doesn’t trend to release their games on console…or games that regularly and bungie)

1 Like

I’m pleasantly optimistic so far - take Assassin’s Creed for example. One of the biggest problems a lot of people raise with Assassin’s Creed is it’s just TOO big. The plan for AC: Infinity SEEMS to be to deliver multiple smaller story modes in one game and continue to add more following a wider range of characters and locations. That sounds like a win win to me - they fix the franchises biggest problem while providing more variety and content. If they can do this and avoid compromising the core experience too much with monetization and live service gameplay design then I think we could get something great.

1 Like

I loved how big the Assassins Creed games were, they were huge and super immersive. I hope they don’t stray far from that.

1 Like

That’s why we need Microsoft to acquire them. This way, Microsoft gets a few live service games and can keep their core single player games like Assassin’s Creed purely single player. Everyone wins!!!

Damn…and I thought having The Division 2 in my top 15 for last generation was higher than the vast majority but damn, I have been surpassed. :frowning:

1 Like

The end goal for MS is increasing that sub count. They are going for huge IP like Elder Scrolls and Call of Duty. i have no doubt that MS would love to buy Take Two as sub counts would explode with GTA6. But at the same time I remember Phil making statements about wanting to grow in Asia and all different parts of the world. And some people think MS wouldnt be able to get Take Two due to regulation.

With king + zynga the ftc would give problems. it was better if zynga was bought by others

besides, the ceo doesn’t give me the impression that he wants to sell. but if gta sells less than expected…

I don’t think GTA is at risk of underselling

4 Likes

Yeah, GTA6 - unless it launches in CP2077 - will sell tens of millions in the first days. Last GTA brought 1b in 3 days? And that was GTA5 that did not have the huge online community that grew on GTA Online.

I wonder if after ATVI deal Microsoft should go after studios or another publisher (if it is available).

I am still curious what benefits studio acquisition gives (unless it is a defensive one) to Microsoft, but I think Microsoft should go after Certain Affinity as XGS, and potentially maybe Bethesda should go after Double Eleven.

What is your curiosity about the benefits? It gives them teamd to make content for their service/platform.

But they already make the content for them without acquisition no? After all Microsoft finances them - gives them money to make games or content.

Depends on which studios you’re referring to. Though relying on external studios is a lesson they learned since without ownership those studios can go away and get bought by someone else.

Well, that’s true and that is what I meant by mentioning defensive acquisitions.

There are still studios like IOI, Avalanche, and Asobo that Microsoft is only getting some of their output, not all.

Even the ones working for them you don’t know if another publisher is going to come in and sign their next game. From Software, for example, has done a ton of games with Bandai Namco… but they also did one with Activision.

3 Likes

Yes, but if the games are made anyways then what’s the purpose of acquisition? Of course aside securing IPs, but support studios usually don’t have it - though Certain Affinity are trying to grow one (and also Haven studios that was bought by Sony recently).

Well, that’s also true that studio might suddenly become unavailable for the next game - like Iron Galaxy for example.

Because they could get 3 games from IOI not 1? I don’t get your point lol

Well my point was but as you mentioned that the studio might become busy with other projects, I realized that I overlooked that point - I thought only about acquisition by other companies, but did not think about the projects - as I thought that by throwing money at the studio Microsoft can just secure them forever.

1 Like

you do realise how big the mobile gaming market is right? Like Zynga’s revenue in 2021 was $2.78 billion, that is mobile game market made $93.2 billion in revenue in 2021…Zynga and King make up maybe 5% of that mobile game market and thats being generious. Also Take Two is publicly traded, shareholders can force a sale since publicly traded companies by law need to work in favour of the shareholders, it woulsn’t be a cheap acquisition though…if I had to guess, it would be a minimum of $45 billion unless they see a stock drop and EA which would cost roughly $50 billion unless, once again, we see a stock drop (these are like the 2 big publishers left on market now that activision is about to be acquired)

Studios all have their things they do well, areas of expertise, some have IP, patents, technological advancements. Smaller teams may offer creativity and flexibility.

1 Like