Xbox Acquisition |OT5| Talking Exclusively About Xbox Acquisitions

Sold at least 5 million copies. So by Square standards it’d be a disappointment lol.

I do think games like Death Stranding and experimental creators like Kojima, Swery65, Suda51, Yoko Taro, etc could really benefit from Game Pass.

3 Likes

yeah but how much did sony spend on the game, didn’t sony fund the game, give kojima the money to build his studio and hire his staff ect. I can’t imagine sony made a big profit from this, like I am looking for a budet and I doubt it was $10 million considering all the licenses in the game. IDK maybe I am thinking too much about it

I know there already is a topic about CD Projekt Red, with them not using their Red engine, moving to the Unreal engine and I can’t help but wonder if this means they are financially in trouble.

If they are I’ve said it in the past and I’ll say it again, if the price is right getting CDPR would be a smart investment.

1 Like

Sony does take critical reception pretty seriously, Days Gone sold pretty well too but was deemed a dissapointment to Sony thanks to poor reception. Death Stranding was an interesting game but it’s reception was perhaps more mixed than they hoped. Either way - when it comes to Kojima I could see him prioritising independence after the whole Konami mess so I don’t imagine an acqusition by Sony OR Microsoft is likely, even if they are working on an Xbox game.

I wonder if their new project can be potentially EGS exclusive. After all they have announced the strategic alliance with Epic. Epic is going towards being a big game publisher, while using their UE as a leverage.

I don’t see KojiPro acquisition as studio is too deeply tied to Kojima.

It didn’t say RPG. So is Casey trying to make a Last of us.

1 Like

Sounds like then Activision deal at latest will close 2023?

I don’t think they’ll stand by the entire time so we may see smaller acquisitions in between now and July 1 2023.

2 Likes

I mean we were given a timeline in the very beginning that the deal will close between 1 July 2022 and 30 June 2023. So somewhere in between. A lot of people believe that the deal will close before 2023 even.

2 Likes

I think it will happen late 2022 to early 2023 but they didn’t announce an acquisition since bethesda until activision so I doubt they will feel the need to acquire some studios inbetween granted it could happen

They didn’t switch because of financial issues it was because of the issues they ran into with the redengine during development of cyberpunk. (I know this off topic just responding)

2 Likes

Yeah, they did not announce acquisition even when the Bethesda deal did close. But a lot has changed since then - we got ATVI (even more that we expected) and some crazy like third party publisher gave his own studio for the first party Microsoft game.

1 Like

yeah so while they could announce some studio acquisitions I wouldn’t put any money on it or even call it likely, its possible though

Yeah, we cannot predict when the acquisition can happen. We can only play stratagem.

1 Like

yeah the only thing we can predict pretty securely is that Microsoft isn’t done and likely will buy more publishers granted when or who we don’t know

It could take a couple of years, until the next publisher gets bought. My guess would be in 3-4 years at the earliest.

Next wave of acquisitions should be individual studios. Load up and chill while courting Japanese publishers for a 2024 purchase (of course get Square West or Crystal Dynamics asap if that’s possible).

Need to be going after the studios delivering content very regularly at this point or ones that when they put out a game it moves mass quantities or big support studios that enable your current studios to churn out more content.

Up next should be Hazelite, Supergiant, IOI, Asobo, Jackbox, Dontnod, Behavoir Interactive, Creative Assembly, ThatGameCompany and Team Cherry.

2 Likes

I think it will happen sooner than some expect. Like 2 or 3 years maybe

Dont know if this means anything one way or the other but allegedly the deal is advancing its review process quickly?

I think slower since they are asking for more info but I am not certain

I stick to my prediction that it will be closed before the end of 2022. It should pass EU, UK and other regulators too.

• Creatitve Assembly belongs to Sega no?
  • IO is a must
  • Asobo seems to have no interest in being acquired
  • Supergiant is an interesting due to the success of Hades
  • Hazelite, It takes two developers. Cannot comment much on it.
  • Dontnod, Tell Me Why developers. Cannot comment much on it.
  • Jackbox did they even make anything?
  • ThatGameCompany did they even make anything recently? I think their content was mainly for Playstation
  • Team Cherry, Hollow Knight developers. Might be interesting.

I personally see Microsoft going after the studios that are either huge (like Certain Affinity) due to shortage of people or studios with the well known IP (like IO). There is no point for them to go after small studios are they can get their content on Game Pass anyway if they pay enough.

With publishers I cannot predict what Microsoft may acquire. A lot of them - in Asia or in the West - would be good options.

1 Like