Xbox Acquisition |OT4| It's Acquisition Season for Xbox with $69 Billion deal, NICE!

BTW what is possibility of KojiPro joining XGS here ?

Yeah, Capcom ain’t selling. If it didn’t happen in early mid 2010s, when they were actually facing financial troubles, it ain’t happening for a long time yet. They’d be foolish to even consider a future where they can’t release Monster Hunter on Nintendo anymore too.

As for Sega, again, would love it, but Sonic sells best on Nintendo and that’s still very much a flagship franchise for them. Same with Puyo Puyo which is still seen as important for them. Atlus’s future output would also be questionable for Sega. What would the future of non-Persona IPs like Etrian Odyssey be for example? They’re making a new one for Switch and IMO that’s the ONLY platform where that would sell well. About a month ago I made a post in this thread describing what I personally think the future of several different Sega/Atlus IPs under MS would be and even in that post I described some as needing to still be allowed on Switch to survive.

Even Square I think might have trouble selling to Sony (it could happen, but I think Sony will have to offer a shit load). They still do good work with Nintendo and do timed exclusive mid-budget JRPGs for them that sell well. Their multiplat Japanese games that hit Switch often sell better there too. ESPECIALLY Dragon Quest which is still not big in the West, so Sony’s offer would have to be especially tantalizing for them to consider not putting DQ on Nintendo ever again.

1 Like

I think Kojima has aspirations outside of just gaming. I don’t think he wants to be acquired by anyone, at least not for the time being.

1 Like

KojiPro halo anime could be good :phil_lmao: :phil_lmao:

1 Like

I think low

Not only does he seem to enjoy his independence but he always been very close with Playstation, plus Sony also has their movie division which we know he’s interested in his company to explore

So if he was gonna get bought, my money would be on Sony, that being said he’s always trying to push boundaries and try new things so if he can do some really creative stuff with xbox and cloud tech, maybe that could entice him down the line

But who knows, MS just spent 70 billion on ABK, buying Kojima is pocket change :phil_lmao:

1 Like

I’ve said it a few times now since Microsoft announced the intention to buy Zenimax.

These acquisitions aren’t about some console war with Playstation.

They are buying big publishers to stop the other big tech giants getting a foothold in gaming.

Spencer also touched on the consequence of tech giants entering the gaming industry, noting that he trusts both Sony and Nintendo to not damage the industry, but sees a difference with companies like Google, Facebook and Amazon.”

Microsoft wants to be the biggest man on the block when the other big boys get involved in gaming properly.

I’d be extremely shocked if Microsoft doesn’t go for Ubisoft or Take2 next, to take another major publisher off the market away from the other big 3 tech giants.

Yeah, it’s one of many reasons, but I assure you keeping Sony in check is one of them.

1 Like

Oh no doubt Sony is a target at the mo…they have to go past them to get to the top.

Microsoft have now taken Fallout, Elder Scrolls and possibly COD away from Playstation… they are playing poker with their own deck of cards at the minute.

Could you imagine if they got EA? They would own the casual market.

Facebook, Google and Amazon are the longterm competitors.

2 Likes

Xbox CEO Phil Spencer discusses reviving old Activision games after Microsoft’s acquisition - The Washington Post

Prototype 3/Prototype Reboot incoming…thanks Phil

4 Likes

They laughed at Phil when he said Sony and Nintendo ain’t their competition, and cried now when he proved that. You can’t make this up.

4 Likes

To be honest, putting GP on PS is a bad idea , it would literally kill Xbox because why would anyone buy an Xbox when you can get all their games plus Sony’s game on Playstation? The only way to this would work is for Sony to completely stop doing exclusives, put them on game pass and allow everyone on Xbox to play them just like how Microsoft would allow all their games to be played on Playstation.

Yeah it’s about money, but it shouldn’t be a windows phone situation where Microsoft loses all support from devs because there is no reason to buy an Xbox or buy from the Xbox store.

1 Like

Phil also said gamepass on other closed platforms won’t happen unless it’s the full Xbox experience(Xbox live, their storefront, achievements). It’s basically only possible if PlayStation becomes an Xbox and it’s just straws for people to grasp at while they can’t fathom Sony missing out on certain games. Phil is really good at positive sounding PR to cool some heads.

Love the mention of King’s Quest. Bring back Sierra. There must be some old timers at xbox that remembers Gabriel Knight. We need a sequel!

4 Likes

Maybe they will finally make modern reimaginings of Acti’s old Atari classics. Hey, a guy can dream… I would also settle for a true ‘Retro’ section on Gamepass that has said classics in it.

2 Likes

I wonder if they plan to slow down with acquisitions for another two years :smiley:

the most likely ones soon are:

IOI (all games on gamepass and exclusive agreements…) Paradox (victoria 3 will be 99% on gamepass; plus they are not doing well) Sega (all games are on gamepass is as if it were…)

1 Like

Ive literally was the first guy in the Xbox discord who said MS would start buying publishers

1 Like

I think it will depend on the degree of the acquisition. A one off studio like an asobo or io would be fine, I could even see the top end being the collection of studios from WB. But if you mean something larger like another major publisher then I would agree.

My friend, you are basically an oracle at this point :phil_lmao:

9 Likes

Go back to my time on the discord or Resetera or Neogaf where i was getting banned for saying MS would acquire a publisher?

After Bethesda, nobody expected MS to do this.

Amusing you remember my posts though, cause i dont even know who you are.