Xbox Acquisition |OT| - So We’re Back to Making Lists, Huh?

Is this even true besides Fallout and Elder Scrolls? They were very productive last gen.

The other highly interesting thing to xbox about take two would have to be their publishing arm. They’ve come out several times and said they’re publishing 90 games over the next 5 years and put huge effort and staff into it.

You are probably, right. The idea was to convey the slowness. :slight_smile:

Anyway the point is from a pure acquisition perspective, where a range of IPs matter: Rockstar is generally slow, I suppose (pedantic version). But it does not invalidate the point. You are spending 20-30bn for 2 IPs that release once every 7 years. There are other interesting IPs like Xcom, nba2k, civ, bioshock under Take Two - but I am sure the spotlight there is Rockstar’s IPs and Rockstar’s talent.

Yeah - that was striking. I am not sure how many they would own though.

And I’d bet a lot of that is the indie publishing initiative they started up 2 years ago or so. I highly doubt MS is looking to buy take two either.

But at the same time who knows what publishers/studios MS are considering these days, all bets are off at this point.

I’m just fascinated by RDR2.

Atleast, Xbox needs to look at some of the talent there. Just amazing work towards polish.

If the worry is about the number of games produced by Take Twos studios, I think that you can be relieved of that concern a bit by their publishing department now working on pumping out games. Sure there may be a lot of indie titles there, but they certainly aren’t all indie games. We know for instance that they are publishing Moon Studios next game. They worked with Obsidian before too. They will lock in some big games that fill in the gaps and in sure if Xbox acquired them they would be takes with more of that.

1 Like

Take two is not realistic, think smaller. Not only is it a public company, it is also worth significantly higher than what the biggest acquisition we have had so far which was around 8 billion by tencent. It also goes against what these aqcuisitions have been for, gamepass. They need a constant rate of games and take two will take a decade before they release a game

1 Like

People talk about Square and Sony but in reality Take Two is way more realistic for Xbox than Square is for Sony so I don’t really see why it’s not worth discussing. Also as we were discussing, the publishing arm for Take Two is putting out 90 games over the next 5 years so that’s actually a ton of games and content for Xbox to go after.

Take Two isn’t just Rockstar, they have some of the most iconic names for PC as well with Civilization and XCOM. They also own 2k so that could give Xbox NBA 2k day 1 every year and they’d get Bioshock as well.

1 Like

Take Two would probably end up in the $25 billion range, so in the same class as LinkedIn. A pretty hefty chunk of change but not impossible if MS wants to go all in on gaming. It is a rather large sum though.

Its a rather large sum for an instant gain in marketshare though. Imagine if they bought them and managed to make gta 6 series x|s and pc exclusive.

Imagine the value add to Gamepass from a back catalog perspective as well. No way a service with the EA games, Bethesda, Take Two and Xbox isn’t an automatic must have. It becomes God Tier

1 Like

what T2 have to offer for MS beside Rockstar ?

NBA ? MS can’t put it on game pass day and date

you pretty much pay for rockstar and not T2

T2 don’t have many big IPs.

Also there is high chance GTA would be multiplatform, MS would probably treat the IP as platform like minecraft.

in the end is this worth it for 25 Billion ?

Yeah, easier to get some deal regarding GTA 6. EA would be more interesting, but I don’t see any of this huge T2, EA and Activision purchases.

2 Likes

If EA is willing to sell, it would most likely sell off it’s not-sports studios. EA Sports is the real moneymaker, with FIFA’s Ultimate Team Mode makes over a billion yearly (!). Throw on top of that gane sales and other sports games like Madden, they’ll be just fine.

DICE, Respawn, Criterion etc. are all good studios with good IP.

1 Like

EA ($40+ billion) and Activision ($70+ billion) are 100% not happening

6 Likes

Nor Ubisoft either

I wish people stopped bringing them up PLEASE lol.

7 Likes

To be fair there were rumours that Microsoft was looking at EA.

some video interview with Phil Spencer at some point in the future

Journalist: “So Phil, after the big news of Zenimax finally being folded into the Xbox family, do you see the company looking to make any further acquisitions toward publishers? Don’t you think one is enough?”

Phil unzips his blazer to show his new T-Shirt starring a Big Daddy

Phil: “One? I think we’ll Take Two!”

… I REGRET NOTHING!

14 Likes

Ha Ha Ha Lol GIF

4 Likes

If the goal is reaching billions of gamers why would they even care about spending 50 billion. I really don’t think they would. Now I do think they care about making the smartest money moves to get there. To me Sega and Take 2 offer by far the most value on the market.

6 Likes