Xbox Acquisition |OT| - So We’re Back to Making Lists, Huh?

They just need to go out and acquire Sega/Atlus already.

2 Likes

As the broken record that I’ve become, I wholeheartedly agree with this statement. Sega/Atlus would be such a massive tsunami of change for Xbox’s global reach, and would equally benefit Sega through Game Pass and stability.

3 Likes

MS might get involved with Kojima for the prestige. It’s like a Hollywood studio making a oscar bait movie. It’s not about the profit but more about attention it can generate.

4 Likes

Thats the best part about gamepass return on investment doesn’t really matter with the gamepass model. The game could sell like shit but Kojima fans are hard-core to the point they will buy a console or pay a subscription to play his new game. If 2 million people all of a sudden join gamepass because of his game thats a huge success to Microsoft

10 Likes

This is why I think that we’ll just see more and more acquisitions. I know they acquired a lot recently, but I honestly think it might only accelerate till they have 40ish studios.

3 Likes

I’m in agreement. I hate the Netflix analogies due to the anti-reality circlejerk that’s often accompanied with it, but I think if the plan is to expand the draw of Xbox to the wider audience you’ll need that many studios, much like Netflix has sought after its content partnerships. Not just for the content output, but for the diversity of said content; I adore XGS for their diverse lineup and to reach all those that may only play one or two genres, you’ll need to have the studios that can produce titles outside of the FPS/RPG/Racing genres. Obviously that last point is a bit reductive but the point is solid.

4 Likes

If Xbox’s reach as well as the industry can realize Microsoft’s projections, then development studios are currently at bargain prices relative to their value in 5-10 years. Now is the time to spend. Bethesda is far from the last acquisition.

7 Likes

Yep, and it’s not just us as hoping for that to be the case: Satya and Phil have both stated as such. With studios like Level 5 in dire financial situation, I hope that they keep their minds open to additional studios like these and not just the Asobos and Bungies of the industry. Hell, they just need take a quick gander at my recent list if they need inspiration :wink:

4 Likes

It may not be a fancy pick or grab all the headlines but Interior/Night makes a lot of sense for MS to go after, The studio is small at ~40 employees, based in UK, private, and now have a relationship with Xbox with their first game titled As Dusk Falls. the founder Caroline Marchal said that the studio is “aiming at the TV audience, people who watch Netflix and HBO”. A Studio that makes games like quantic dream and Telltale would flourish under gamepass, also the studio has a bunch of talent from studios like quantic dream and Sony veterans based in London.

9 Likes

Absolutely agree (they’re on my most recent must-get list). I’ve watched all of the interviews and BTS I can on the studio and their game. The passion of the team and the amount of experience the studio has is pretty incredible, and it feels like they’re trying to do something unique in the interactive narrative space.

4 Likes

The plot thickens!

2 Likes

If microsoft publishes a game they own the trademark, look at ori and tell me why

Yeah I know but nobody knows if they’ve been acquired. Would be a great addition.

I’ve said before I want a Twisted Pixel replacement. If you can’t get Klei, Image & Form, or Supergiant, get whoever made Katana Zero!

3 Likes

Except Sunset Overdrive, that was a special case.

Katana Zero :heart_eyes: remember free dlc coming. Yes these small studios would be good. They have great talent and could do even more wonders.

Even the one who made Ghost Of A Tale. Incredible indie game.

I know he wanted to make a sequel. MS should go after the guy in charge of this studio.

1 Like

The issue with going after Kojima Productions is if Kojima decides to leave the studio sometime after it is acquired then it will have much less worth. Studios that aren’t so attached to one person or a small group of creatives as the source of their success are more worth acquiring while studios like Kojima’s are best dealt with on a contract basis. Like, another way of putting it is the big reason Microsoft would consider acquiring Kojima Productions is to have Kojima direct games exclusive to the Xbox ecosystem. If he decided to leave two years later… uh oh. But I might also be doing the thing Warren Spector tells us not to do.

4 Likes

They would make a good pick.

1 Like

Or they could get a lot better.

Ok, ok, I’ll stop picking on Kojima.

2 Likes

Hey. No matter how much crap the guy gets, Death Stranding is the reason Ludens by BMTH even exists and that’s one of my favorite tracks of all time!