Why won't MS bring back Alan Wake?

I wonder if one of those is the Crossfire X campaign, anyway I’m looking forward to seeing what they’re working on next, I haven’t played control yet but like QB, thinking of waiting for SX to play control.

No Crossfire Campaign was announced last year.

I think Microsoft feels seriously burned by the Quantum Break fiasco and won’t go in that direction again.

I’m sure they, and Remedy, have tried. Sometimes stuff just doesn’t work out.

1 Like

That’s right. Good thing they are staying multiplatform because at least their games will still come to Xbox.

Exactly. This has been a misconception people usually have with some games, much like Destiny was never owned by Activision, they only had tied the publishing rights to them.

Yep, I was worried about how cozy Remedy was getting with Sony so I’m glad Tim Sweeney swooped in and gave them an offer they couldn’t refuse.

1 Like

I would love Alan Wake 2 and Quantum Break 2. Don’t really care about Control.

If an Alan Wake 2 happens, it probably won’t have the scope, ambition and budget (compared to the market it’s releasing in) of the first game. The first had ridiculous ambitions with a crazy dynamic open world, but they eventually had to cut so many pieces down that it’s half a miracle the campaign came out as well as it did. But they wasted so much money on chasing that concept that even the good sales didn’t quite justify the amount spent. That half-sequel for XBLA was really unnecessary.

It looks like they X-Files’d/Twin Peaks’d themselves: they enjoy throwing elements to the mystery here and there, but we’ve had 3 finales already (base game, DLCs and XBLA game) and neither brought us closer to the answers. I’m not sure they know how to continue the franchise well, and they clearly showed they have the talent to make new and exciting worlds like that of Control. At this point I’d rather have them be the Cristopher Nolan of gaming: throwing new worlds where time bends, worlds bend, minds bend, without necessarily needing to iterate on each world with 20 sequels.

Don’t get me wrong, if a good-looking Alan Wake 2 came out, I’d probably get it day one. But maybe it’s time to leave that one behind and let them explore their creative boundaries, instead of tying themselves to continuing on an idea they had several years ago.

I think it’s always worth remembering that Remedy shopped Alan Wake 2 around to many publishers and got no one to bite. People like to put it on MS for not making such an obvious sequel, but clearly other publishers weren’t impressed either.

I love Remedy and their games, I hope MS works with them again in the future. I loved Quantum Break and Control. Two of my favorite games this gen.

They always owned the Ip… The publishing rights reverted back to remedy, this gets incorrectly used all the time

Remedy has a deal with epic for like 2 games I think, might be from them

If I were MS, I’d be throwing trucks of cash, yes throwing trucks, at Remedy to make AW2 on the Series X and break free from 505 and their bullshit. The amount of goodwill this would bring would be great and with Game Pass, more people have a chance to check out Remedy’s greatness, which raises the chance of success.

3 Likes

MS just needs to buy Remedy already. Phenomenal studio, great titles, started their own ties together world with cool new ideas. This belongs in Microsofts portfolio. No time to waste, Acquire now then make Alan Wake 2 :clap:

1 Like

At the time, Xbox was on a much smaller budget when it came to their own funding (both internally and for external partners). While Alan Wake didn’t sell poorly, it probably didn’t do well enough for Xbox to really push for a sequel. I know the arcade game was made instead since it had a smaller scope and gave Remedy a chance to expand on the world some more.

Is always crazy to think about what could’ve been if Microsoft had really pushed gaming forward more earlier and for the long term with this sort of leadership. I feel like Remedy, Mistwalker, Lionhead, and many other studios would be in a much different place right now.

In the case of IP ownership, Remedy has always retained that, just Microsoft had the publishing rights. Similar case to Sunset Overdrive (which we’ll see if that’ll expire too over the coming years).

Nowadays, would be strange for MS to take the IP and then not let Remedy work on it.

They gave Alan Wake a shot, two DLCs, and even funded that spinoff American Nightmare. It just didn’t catch on and I’m sure you can attribute a portion of that to releasing around a Fallout game but - in general - “AAA” games will find an audience regardless (ok, ok, Titanfall 2…).

There seems to be a vocal minority who really want this series to continue and they’re people like you and I who exist on gaming message boards that are really into this stuff. I think most others, that is the majority of people who play games, simply don’t care and never will. I don’t know that anything Remedy has made has truly caught on. In that way, they’re a prestige developer of sorts, you’ll probably never see the returns you want for the cost of investment.

Maybe because the first one didn’t sell well? Anyway, they gave the IP back to Remedy, so, they can do whatever they want with it now.