Which choice you made in Gears 5 should be canon in Gears 6 (SPOILERS)

I feel JD make more sense to live cause he story isnt over yet he need to get his redemption

Del is just not a good character and despite spending the whole game around him he is still completely useless. So on that not I would have killed him a thousand times before JD.

However, the main char of the game is Marcus and considering that having his son killed and perhaps even turned by the queen and having to fight him makes for a much more interesting story arc so I ended up choosing him for that.

I think from Kaitā€™s point of view, she would have chosen JD without even blinking.

Del is that friend that is just there as a shoulder to cry but she clearly has way stronger feelings for JD, even if at the moment they werenā€™t at the best terms.

Perhaps if she was given time to think and ponder she would have chose Del, but on the heat of the choice, specially not having much to think the other one would be killed thereā€™s no way she would have chosen Del over JD imo.

1 Like

JD has a WAY more interesting character arc than Del does. Delā€™s arc seems like it would only get around to hooking up with Kait but as a personality he is really kinda flat/boring to me. Plus, how can yaā€™ll advocate Marcus losing his boy?! /smh

2 Likes

I saved Del. He was loyal to Kait right through whereas JD was a jerk.

Wouldnā€™t even want to have a beer with that guy.

Maybe JD wasnā€™t really Marcusā€™s boyā€¦

If there is even more to his story arc to explain who his real father is then all the more reason for him to stay alive! :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

Not if everything can be done in flashbacks, set during the time between Gears 3 and 4, with Anya as a main character.

Maybe they want to make Marcus a real tragedy. Where eventually everyone he knows dies and then just after that he somehow becomes a Locust King and wipes out all humanity.

1 Like

I chose Del, but think TC will carry either forward. Itā€™ll most likely be handled the way Wolfenstein did it, but if they decide to go more in-depth with it for Gears 6, Iā€™ll be happy.

2 Likes

Was just thinking earlier itā€™d be good to see more franchises do this sorta thing.

I disagree. I also look at it from Kaitā€™s point of view and Kait being an unloyal friend is really fucked up. Saying he is useless is you looking at the character in the eyes of a player of the game and not Kait. JD is just a damn dick who ainā€™t care about you or your family until Act 3. Letā€™s not forget JD, the fucker, said fuck your mom we all going to go after my dad (Gears 4) and then weā€™ll figure out shit for your mom. Fuck JD.

1 Like

Del and J.D. are both boring, but Marcus losing another family member is just a little too much, IMO. I feel Del is the right one to kill.

Yep JD is a giant douchebag. Add to the pile of shit he did: disobeying his fatherā€™s orders 2 times at Gears 5 (with the one time end up being a colossal fuck up), the ā€œordersā€ he gave at the Settlement 2 protests and of course choosing to not help Kait when she was freaked out by the visions. In fact Del might be the most important character of Gears 5, he was responsible for Kait not completely freakinā€™ outā€¦he kept her sane with his friendship.

1 Like

Exactly! I just canā€™t see why Kait would choose JD over Del. I feel that people that choose to save JD are just doing it because they like the Fenix nameā€¦not because Kait would feel that way.

https://twitter.com/woelfel/status/1341506743940034560?s=20

2 Likes

I donā€™t agree, you are basically bashing him twice for disobeying orders and for obeying then.

He was a bit reckless and acted on his own. That caused some fuck ups specially the one in act 1. After that he learns how not to disrespect orders anymore.

He still lets her go and assign Del to go with her because neither him or Marcus could. He didnā€™t ā€œdistrust herā€ or thought what she was going through was not worth it. He just couldnā€™t go it himself because he was following orders.

He becoming a dick in Kaitā€™s eyes is solely because he was no longer rebelling against the cog and acting on his own as he often would. But after all the damage he has done by doing so itā€™s perfectly reasonable.

I donā€™t think itā€™s really gonna matter cause I feel like somehow whoever you chose to die will come back alive someway lol I think the locust or something will revive either one and then rejoin you with some remember who you are type of moment in Gears 6

1 Like

I would say that JD is a more interesting character than Del, at this point.

JD grew up in his dad, the living legendā€™s, shadow. He made mistakes, trying to measure up to his dadā€™s image. At the beginning of Gears 5 he tried to do right & save people, by putting himself in harmā€™s way, but even that went wrong. By the end, he was just trying his best to make things right & be better. He has stuff going on, basically.

Del doesnā€™t have much of a character, really. Heā€™s good with tech & stayed loyal to Kait in 5. He has no obvious flaws though & itā€™s our flaws that make us human. Iā€™d like to get to know him a bit better in the next game. Learn a bit more about him.

This is another reason why I think the choice works both ways. I feel like each of those guys would be deeply affected by losing the other. I think each of them can have a very good character arc in the next game, largely because of the otherā€™s death. JDā€™s driven by guilt, Delā€™s driven more by sadness.

1 Like