What's your favourite Annapurna Interactive game so far?

Annapurna doesn’t own any studio or IP, or tech now do they? I checked Wikipedia and it said they started one in-house studio back in October, but that’s pretty much it.

Wouldn’t make sense to go after them. Just continue having partnerships through ID@Xbox, that’s enough. Plus Annapurna as a division has deep ties on the film side as well, in fact the games side was an offshoot of the Annapurna film publishing house. That’s how they’ve been able to get star Hollywood actors to voice for their super small indie games. I’m sure you know all of these things tho lol, but just reassuring why it makes no sense to get them. It’s just a bunch of people.

If MS wants to buy Annapurna, they’d have to buy both games and film division, the film side of which will be completely useless for Microsoft, and on the other hand, it’d be a massive disservice for Annapurna Games side to get torn away from its Film side. Or Annapurna Interactive would have to continue doing publishing under Xbox while still working with the Film side outside Xbox, which is unlikely given DoubleFine had to stop publishing games after their acquisition.

I’d have said the same for Focus, but they seem to be actually investing in studios now and owning IP (Plague Tale). DotEmu was a huuuge get for them. I see them actually investing big in the coming years now. Metal Slug Tactics and TMNT Shredder’s Revenge are already two very anticipated titles from DotEmu side, and Plague Tale 2 seems to be a lot higher budget with bigger scope and if that hits off, I wouldn’t be surprised if they at least attempt going for Asobo as well. I’d written off Focus completely from a M&A POV, but now they’re certainly on the map.

3 Likes

I wouldn’t want them for the studios, I’d want them as a way to have more funding to these games/teams an to make sure every one hits Game Pass.

Haven’t played as much of their stuff as I frankly should have. Loved Telling Lies and Last Stop. Latter gets my vote.

I’m so glad to see Microsoft cozy up to Annapurna. Having art house games on Gamepass is great.

2 Likes

Edith was a transformative game as far as emotional narrative goes. Loved that game

2 Likes

What remains of Edith Finch had an everlasting impression on me. It made me so uneasy in a so so cosy way, it made me feel things I haven’t felt with a game in a long time. Til this day it has a special place in my heart and I think about it time and time again.

1 Like

not enough of you have played Sayonara Wild Hearts and it shows

2 Likes

I like their output. They find great talent, but really, they know how to market these indie games. They are mostly flawed gems that are not for everyone.

So it’s a bit hard to pick one. I loved What Remains of Edith Finch, but I wanted to highlight Kentucky Route Zero. It’s a really bizarre game that needs more attention.

I played a bit of Outer Wilds. It’s great, but also not really my taste as it’s really confusing.

I also just bought Gorogoa and Sayonara Wild Hearts. The first one is a unique puzzle game, the latter is not bad. I like the soundtrack, but gameplay get in the way I thought.

Last Stop was fine. Great ideas, but flawed execution. And the ending is disappointing.

Outer Wilds followed by What Remains of Edith Finch, and for this poll I really don’t think I’d give them credit for either Journey or Kentucky Route Zero. Still would like to get around to Sayonara Wild Hearts and Maquette and am looking forward to 12 Minutes, Stray, and The Artful Escape. Really cool company, pick up unique stuff.

1 Like

Annapurna have some amazing quality control. Never been let down by one of their games. Ashen was stunning. However I consider Edith Finch to be a damn near masterpiece, interactive storytelling done to perfection with such an emotive score that I can still remember years later.

Edit: WAIT holy shit Outer Wilds was Annapurna too? I change my answer, Outer Wilds is one of my favourite games of all time. It’s crazy that I can name 2 masterpieces from this publisher just in the last few years. I could write paragraphs and paragraphs about why Outer Wilds is incredible, but I’m sure we’ve all heard it before.

1 Like

I feel unqualified to vote because I only played three of their games but The Outer Wilds is one of my favourite games of all time.

The other two games I’ve played, Edith Finch and Donut Country are enjoyable, and for how short they are I highly recommend them to Gamepass subscribers. Outer Wilds is on another level, even when compared to AAA games.

It’s funny because I really didn’t like it in the beginning, but stuck with it because it was on many people’s Game of the Year lists. And then around 20 minutes into the game something happens and then I’m hooked on the concept.

The game made my jaw drop more often than any other game I’ve played.

It was actually the game that convinced me that I needed to stay subscribed to Gamepass after my trial was over.

1 Like