What's stopping Microsoft from examining the PS5 Dev Kits after the Zenimax deals goes through?

Microsoft already has those dev kits due to Minecraft. Really they won’t “spy” on these things as there are NDA clauses involved. And they don’t need to either. Microsoft has plenty of talented staff that can develop a graphics and gaming API. In fact probably even more so than Sony. Just they had less time to finish what they needed.

There simply is no need for it.

Sony’s GNM for PS4 was designed to be similar to DirectX11. I remember SCEE emphasising it so much when I was applying to be an Indie Developer on PS4. So I’d imagine this may still hold true for PS5. You’d think Microsoft would just make it exactly the same like DirectX12 for PC with blackboxed optimisations for XSX/XSS, but it’s otherwise. What I think is happening is PS5 is using cheap implementation techniques if the rumours that PS5 is not RDNA2 are true. So they save cycles by not having to be accurate in their implementation. Well as XBox probably uses a more accurate implementation of features from RDNA2.

1 Like

There is an NDA with any devkit that goes out. I cannot leave my current job in tech sales, and go work for another competitor without signing an NDA.

I have thought about this too, I would not be surprised if mojang got PS5 dev kits before it came out, Minecraft is a pretty big deal. Knowing the PS5 specs a year out from launch would not help them to much on the hardware side because hardware would if been locked in 2018, i guess it would help them with marketing knowing sony was going to focus on a ssd and haptics, also Phil and co did know the specs, they made a point about “sustained clocks” and 12tflops before the public knew the PS5 specs, if the PS5 was 14tflops im sure xbox would of done something, they might of increase the ram to 20gb and possibly the bandwidth and would of focused on the importance of memory.

You are assuming that PS5 API is better when it’s just PS4 API adapted for PS5.

GDK is completely new tool for Xbox and PC, a reason you see same glitches in PC and Xbox.

June leak of GDK listed that performance updates wouldn’t happen till December/Spring updates. The only goal was to make it work and then improve performance.

1 Like