What games were you most hyped for?

Disappointment or delivery on the hype, all is valid. I’ll start:

1 Like

My disappointment was unmeasurable after the first one (a masterpiece).

All Ultima fans was hyped for this one. Boy did everyone hate this game after it came out. Thinking back it wasn’t so bad. Alot of stuff was ahead of it’s time.

Ultima_IX_-_Ascension_Coverart

The first big hardcore game I ever played. I was drawing calendars back their. During this time I was a absolute dinosaur maniac and loved every kind of reptiles and I was a big Nintendo boy. All this lead to my yet to defeated biggest hype circle I ever had.

Halo 5 was probably my most anticipated sequel of all time. I was in love with the beta a year before and I literally absorbed any game material from Halo 5. The hunt the truth marketing campaign was glorious and I couldn’t wait to see what this all would lead to.

I’m a massive zelda fan and the final trailer for breath of the wild was perfect. By far probably my most watched trailer of all time. I was sooo excited for my switch and botw. A wild ride.

I kinda expect myself to go beyond and believe Halo Infinite will join this list.

1 Like

A new Mass Effect, it will be awesome!

Oh…

2 Likes

Absolutely hyped for and delivered on what I wanted? MW2, Mass Effect Andromeda, Fallout 3 and 4, Zelda BOTW and XC2.

Which didnt? Destiny, Anthem, All the Pokemon related announcements post Sun and Moon, etc.

Twilight Princess and FFXV

Both huge dissapointments.

• Assassin’s Creed IV: Black Flag

I remember going all in with what was my first AC game including pre-ordering the game and season pass and I loved the game. Over 7 years later, it’s still my best and favorite AC game.

• GTA 4

It was probably the first game that i ever went full hype mode on and i spent so much time on the GTAforums looking for info. I also got rick rolled many times in the process.

• GTA 5

No surprise I was also extremely hyped for this game, to me it was going to be the greatest game ever made. My opinions have changed on the series over the years but i look back fondly on the hype around this game.

• Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain

My all time favorite game franchise so this game had me so hyped. Kojima was shooting on all cylinders with the trailers and pre-release antics. I didn’t go a single day without thinking about this game. Hard to believe it was nearly 6 years ago already.

• Gears of War 4

My favourite Xbox franchise and all time favorite online shooter. After Gears Judgment the faith of the series was up in the air and i had kind of accepted the series could be done. Luckily the coalition was formed and we get Gears 1 remake which held me over but wasn’t enough to give me that new Gears i was craving. It was so exciting to have a brand new numbered Gears game coming.

1 Like

Games that delivered in spades: Killer Instinct (both SNES and Xbox One games), Donkey Kong Country, Mortal Kombat 2, Tekken 3, RE2, REmake & Resident Evil 4, TLoZ: Ocarina of Time & Breath of the Wild, Super Mario 64 & Galaxy 2, Shadow of the Colossus, Halo 2/3/Reach/ODST, Ninja Gaiden 2, Devil May Cry 3, Metal Gear Solid 2 & 3, Silent Hill 2/3, Dead Space 2 & Gears of War.

Games that disappointed me: Rise of the Robots (anyone remember this overhyped crap?), Ultimate Mortal Kombat 3 (the SNES version was really bad and I paid the equivalent of 100 euros back then), Earthworm Jim, Super Mario Sunshine, Little Big Planet, Mass Effect 2, TLoZ: Twilight Princess, Metal Gear Solid 4, Devil May Cry 4, Fable 3, RE: Code Veronica, Dead Space 3, Silent Hill 4.

After replaying some of the games that didn’t deliver without the hype clouding my judgment I ended up appreciating some of them more over the years (like DMC4, ME2, SH4 and Twilight Princess), I can’t say the same for the rest of them though…UMK3, Killzone 2 and LBP are still the only three times that I regretted spending money on a game this much.

1 Like

Historically the game I was most hyped for which turned out to be incredibly disappointing was…

download.jpeg

Following on from Square’s golden trilogy of 7,8,9 (a peak they’ve never got back near), this game was supposed to bring final fantasy into a new generation, but it barring the theme song (素敵だね) it had zero heart, very little linking it to 7,8,9 either thematically or in terms of gameplay. They just changed too much too suddenly. And then there is the voice acting. Years of the main character having a voice that your head determined for them was followed by the worst lead voice acting of all time, subsequently challenged by Kingdom Hearts series.

In more recent time the game which I was most excited for and devastated by the end result was…

capsule_616x353

The trailers for this game were out of this world, the the series prior to this was exceptional. But Arkham Tank with it’s grainy horrible resolution and forced batmobile sections was borderline unplayable. I mean there were levels which you could describe as using a stealth tank. Just say that out loud. Then having the real ending buried behind hours and hours of that sh|t. Poor, and tainted the whole series by association.

Honorable mention for Middle Earth Shadow of War. Managed to take a highly popular and fun LOTR game and make a sequel that annoyed everyone. LOTR fans: messing around with Shelob lore, game fans: replace entire second half of game with 40 hour castle defence grind, authorities: have such heavy reliance on loot boxes that the entire industry had to change. To this day I will recommend to people that they need to play Shadow of Mordor to experience Nemesis and the mind control, but avoid Shadow of War because it is an abomination.

1 Like

Games I was most hyped for that lived up to or exceeded my expectations:

Hyper Light Drifter, Inside, Firewatch, Owlboy, The Witness, Iconoclasts, Katana Zero, Ape Out, GRIS, Abzu, What Remains of Edith Finch, Cuphead, Night in the Woods, Sekiro, Ori WOTW, Control, CP2077.

Ones that disappointed me:

Absolver, Rain World, Anthem, Shadow of the Tomb Raider, CP2077 (yes this both lived up to my hype and also disappointed me to a degree, and I’m sure this isn’t a controversial sentiment at all haha)

1 Like

I could make a list but instead I’ll be ruthless & just pick one.

220px-The_Elder_Scrolls_V_Skyrim_cover

Don’t think I’ve ever been more excited for a game than during the lead up to Skyrim’s launch. Having easily put hundreds of hours in Oblivion I knew, with The Elder Scrolls, Bethesda made games that resonated with me. I was eagerly anticipating news of the next entry. The 11.11.11 reveal trailer was absolute hype.

The game lived up to my expectations & then some. It’s probably my most played game by a fair margin. I’ve never sat down & made a definitive list but it would be a contender for my number 1 greatest of all time.

The wait for Starfield is a bit easier, because I’m older now & have several other things competing for my attention on a day to day basis. I don’t have time to dwell on it but there is still a part of me, inside my own head, that currently exists in a state of perpetual anxiety, waiting for the big reveal.

Once we’re past Starfield though? Once attention turns to The Elder Scrolls VI? Somebody needs to hold me.

1 Like

Ohhhhhh yes, this was me! :slight_smile:

I don’t tend to get hyped much, the last few hours waiting for a download to finish will have me on edge, but otherwise not been too hyped, since…

OIP

Until it just became a tedious living story grind machine, I loved this game soo much. The artstyle was (and is) gorgeous.

1 Like

Shenmue was my first hyped thing ever.

Followed it back when it was called Project Berkeley and while the final product never realized the scope they were aiming it had completely blown me away on all accounts and become my favorite game/series ever.

I wasn’t so hyped about Shenmue 3 because everything they showed about it seemed like they were losing their hand, and then I basically just confirmed those fears when I got to play it. But from the moment it was announced, to actual putting my hands on it, it was probably the biggest disappointment cycle in my life

Diablo III was probably the most hyped I’d been for a game in my memory. Was a touch disappointed at launch but still played a ton. Really looking forward to D2 Remastered, D4, and Immortal. I love the franchise, I hope Blizzard can keep doing it the way it deserves to be done and balances listens to fans vs implementing smart updates to the formula.

you made me reinstall GW2 @Mort damn you

1 Like

You’re welcome! :slight_smile: