What features would you like Xbox to improve?

Are you suggesting they improve quick resume or something else?

There are some games where it doesn’t work at all and needs improvement. Not talking about online games, though.

I know I’m very late on this but Xbox has supported Dolby Vision for video playback since the One S days. Game support is also coming but I forgot when.

1 Like

It does via streaming and games but not blu rays which is what he means most likely.

2 Likes

Oh yeah that’s a good point. Really do wish they’d update that app.

Overall it needs to get looked at proper. There are many games, both for Xbox One and Xbox Series that just don’t work. But also since the latest update it says a game is QR on the top right of the screen but the game isn’t using QR at all and closes down immediately.

When it does work, with Yakuza 0 for example it’s awesome. Being able to just jump back in right away. When the feature was shown by media I was excited but it has quite a ways to go.

The things I would like to see xbox improve are:

• Fix DVR on Series X|S consoles (fairly dark if HDR is enabled) along with a more consistent clip editor (some 4K ~30 sec. clips crash during trim even with 400+ GB of internal storage)
  • Offer a Game Pass family plan. I head a 3 gamer household where each of us have a Series console, decent gaming rig, a mobile phone and laptop. I currently subscribe to XGP Ultimate and game share with my sons (they are sharing a Series S/my home console) and they have to trick the system to use Game Pass for PC. I would be fine paying double if it covered all 3 of us on console, PC and mobile/xCloud but not triple.
1 Like

The ability to have background uploads of media you share to social media. PS5 does it. So did PS4. Having to wait a minute or two for a 1 min video to upload to Twitter before I can do anything is awful.

A fully customizable home screen with themes and folders would be nice too.

The ability to cancel the vibration disabling when I get the low battery notification.

Im on my knees for them to just copy what the PS5 does. Its leagues better and absolutely not intrusive how it should be.

It would be nice to not have to worry about your save being corrupted when you play a game on cloud streaming. Lost hours upon hours of tweaking on NBA 2K1 when I tried to play it on cloud streaming and got a corrupt save message.

This post really got away from me. Lots of pictures, so please bear with me.

I have trouble with the store sometimes. Even though I only play games on console, I like to make purchases from my PC to take advantage of Bing Rebates. I’m always a little nervous about properly buying things for my console.

Summary

In this example, Dragon Quest Builders 2 says “Xbox Play Anywhere”

But Octopath Traveler does not

They’re the only entries in the store, so there isn’t “Octopath Traveler [PC version]” or anything like that. They both have an Xbox badge. They both have a selection of PC or Xbox screenshots. They both have Xbox One and Windows 10 under system requirements.

I’m fairly certain that buying these entries will let me play them on my console but I’m not totally clear. Am I missing a clear line that says “purchase of this item will grant you a license that can be used on any compatible Xbox console and any compatible version on Windows 10” or something like that?

Another thing: I realize this might be because of publishers specifically but the way some games and add-ons work is just very confusing.

Summary

As you can see on the right, I own the Raccoon City Edition bundle that includes the remakes of Resident Evil 2 and 3

Clicking on it shows the contents of the bundle:

For some reason, only RE2 is marked as owned. Clicking on RE3 there brings me to this:

I own RE3. So why did that first picture not say “Owned”? Clicking on that entry brings me to: Oh okay, so maybe I own the base game (which apparently has the same name as this bundle) but not whatever Resident Evil Resistance is? Nope.

Here’s a more egregious example: I own Red Dead Redemption 2:

I also don’t own Red Dead Redemption 2?

Oh I see, this identically-named entry is actually a bundle of Red Dead Redemption 2 (which I own but doesn’t say owned) and whatever “Story Mode” is.

“Red Dead Online is required to play Red Dead Redemption 2: Story Mode.” Oh OK, sure, that’s its own entry:

Weird that it isn’t included in the bundle along with the Story entry, since it’s required. Let me go back and check:

I realize this might sound like hair-splitting, but I have 275 games in my digital library and it’s annoying to scroll through a sales page and have “false positives” crop up.

A small one: On the Xbox, games that are available through Game Pass are marked as “Installable” and highlighting them gives you more information, such as the sale percentage, and both prices:

Installed games however, only show the percentage, and you have to click through to see both prices:

And there’s some inconsistency between the web store and the in-game store. Here’s an example of games I own across multiple generations:

Summary

But in the web store, the old generation games aren’t marked as “owned” (leaving in all the irrelevant search entries that show up when I search for “Star Wars”)

(Bottom of page 1)

(Middle of page 4)

But to be fair, those are old games, and they just recently added the ability to buy older-gen games directly from the store. A more recent entry though… image

I guess I grabbed the trial at some point, which is all well and good but what about the full game?

I honestly don’t know. I don’t remember buying it. I can install it for free thanks to my GPU membership’s inclusion of EA Play games. I can only buy it as a gift it seems, so I probably own it myself. My Xbox certainly thinks so:

But it doesn’t seem to be in my library:

And as I was finishing up this post, I remembered the “Hide games from your library” option and here it is!

So I guess I downloaded the free trial, hid it from my library, bought the game later, and it stayed hidden. I still don’t remember buying it, though. Not super weird, since I buy a lot of games, but I also couldn’t find a receipt e-mail from the MS store (which I never delete). All the other Star Wars games I own come up right away. I guess I could check my purchase history. This game came out in October 2020 and I didn’t pre-order it, so looking in the last year should reveal it and yet:

OK, let’s broaden it to my entire purchase history. Still not. I did buy Fallen Order from CD Keys, so maybe I got Squadrons from a third-party site too? But Fallen Order still shows up in my purchase history

(note the first two numbers of the order lol)

So now I’ve downloaded a 29 GB game I may not own and that I’m not interested in playing just to see if it’ll let me play it or if it’ll tell me it’s a trial.

I guess I’ll edit this post with the thrilling conclusion. The stores are much better than they used to be, and I find them much more friendly to use than the PS and Nintendo stores. There’s still room for improvement though!

Edit: The download finished, and I’m not seeing anything that indicates this is a trial or demo. I have no idea why I own this game. I’m not even really that big of a Star Wars fan.

2 Likes

After trying to stream to twitch yesterday, I really wish it wasn’t such a cumbersome process on Xbox. Also wish there were more options such as YouTube.

1 Like

Figured Id bump this thread back up since its been a while.

1. Xbox DVR and sharing system need a total overhaul
  2. A New UI that isnt a disservice to the specs and the speeds of the console. If the idea was to transition people easily between Xbox One and Xbox Series consoles then fine but the UI is showing its age and it gets slow and unresponsive at times when using the guide.
  3. Proper Dolby Vision implementation. Halo Infinite was super disappointing in this regard.
  4. Fallout 76 Series enhancements
  5. A proper Halo Infinite roadmap
  6. More Xbox showcases and drop the E3 dependency.
2 Likes

The “Home” button menu: It’s too big/clunky/laggy on SeriesX and I much prefer the way PS5 handles it - more slimline, and easier to get to friends, trophies, etc. It’s a night and day difference between the systems.

4K+HDR Dash by default. I don’t care what anyone says, this is yet again another night and day difference between consoles to my eyes.

Achievements used to be awesome, way better than Trophies but somehow Trophies are way better than Achievements now. How did this happen?

Maybe the whole OS needs a revamp to make it feel more slimline and faster.

This is a hardware want - Make the controller next gen. It just is not as good as the PS5 controller feature wise such as haptics, but keep the shape as that’s decent.

Yes I know I mention PS5 a lot here, but there are some things XSX does better than that such as Dolby Vision, etc. it just feel the OS is so incredibly different when playing between them both.

1 Like

Nothing wrong with that. If you have both, comparison between the two is definitely going to happen and it’s natural to want good features on both. I agree with you about the lagginess of the home menu, wishing achievements were better, and HDR on the dash (but mostly because it’s annoying when my TV goes black for a second whenever I launch a game)

Edit: remembered that my console is usually on instant on and rarely does a full reboot so that might be responsible for some of the lag. Gotta be fair.

Ill take the PS5 Haptics seems its a nice evolution of the vibrations.

1 Like

Do something with achievements. I wanted to know what the career stuff was that they where going to do but that never came to light.

1 Like

The only thing I would like to see Microsoft to actually eliminate is that when buying a game on disc, I shouldn’t have to verify the game online in order to play it. Other than that, no problems whatsoever.

That is purely up to the developer. Some games don’t have all the proper packages on the game disc. For instance, some games only have Xbox One version included, so if you have and Xbox One X or an Xbox Series X it needs to get the content or even the simple compatibility config file from online. There is at least one game that doesn’t require any online check at all, that is the Devil May Cry 5 title.

From These offline, disc-based games require an online check-in on Xbox Series X | Ars Technica

“For Smart Delivery, developers can elect to include both the Xbox One and Xbox Series X versions on a disc to play offline, but in some cases, you’ll need to be connected to the Internet to download additional content,” a Microsoft representative told Ars Technica.

Disc-based games designed exclusively for the Series X, such as Devil May Cry 5 Special Edition , seem to be the only titles that can be installed and played on a completely offline Series X. For these games, the files on the disc run without the need for an online check-in at any point.

On the ResetEra forums, though, a verified “Developer at Xbox” going by OscarK writes that the system “needs to be online one-time during install to download specific config files (separate from actual game patches).”

It’s this hidden download of configuration files and “compatibility bits” that necessitates the online check-in for disc-based Xbox One games, according to OscarK. And if that situation seems confusing and poorly presented to you, OscarK would agree

If the DMC 5 example is true, oh man, then I will be very happy as that saves me at least an hour from not having to download the upgrade. Thanks Brit!!!