What does everyone drive, if you do?

I drive an '09 Honda Civic Hybrid. I’m in an abusive relationship with it. It has cost me so much over the years and makes me cry all the time. But when it runs…chef’s kiss.

Planning on finally selling it this year after 6 years of ownership. Had bought it when it had 123,xxx KM on the odo and now it has 254,xxx KM.

3 Likes

:smile: :laughing: :rofl:

1 Like

1 Like

I’ve never had a pickup, partly because I think they’re too big, but am at least somewhat interested in the Maverick hybrid. I wish it was a little smaller though, and I wish they had a plug in available. Honestly wish they would offer comparable pricing in something compact suvish that gets similar mileage. The Escape costs too much for what it is and the ecosport? never made any sense.

I got a really good deal on the lease just before the pandemic started. I have just under a year left on the lease and lease payments on new ones have effectively doubled from what I am paying. As much as I love it I probably won’t be getting another one.

We got really lucky with our current car, have a used hatchback plug in hybrid that we got in I think 2019. Don’t drive too much, but our average is something like 60 mpg for lifetime of our having it including a few trips where we haven’t had access to plug it in much. I think we’ve put about 40 to 50k miles on it. Just wish there were options to replace it with something comparably priced to the Maverick but smaller and get the mileage were getting. Car prices are nuts

Yeah they are. I started looking around to plan ahead. A Chevy Malibu is around the same payment that I have for my truck now. I’m hoping that the prices settle a bit before next year.

Honda Odyssey 2007 :rofl:

I usually get sedans but i need enough room in the back to put my sons wheelchair and related stuff.

1 Like

They are too big! It’s almost not even practical anymore. It’s hard to reach into the beds, they don’t fit anywhere etc. but living rural I would like a truck. I went to order a new crib for baby two the other day and they wanted nearly $500 for delivery… which is a joke. I’m not that rural. But it’s not unusual for stores to want to charge like that for deliveries.

We need a bigger car with the second kiddo coming so we’re replacing our Mazda 3 Sport with a Ford Escape PHEV we ordered at Christmas time.

But when it comes time to replace vehicle 2 in a few years I’m hoping for a Maverick sized truck.

1 Like

I put in a reservation for a Cadillac Lyriq (EV/Crossover) last summer.

Right now I drive a 2019 Acura RDX (also a cross over)

1 Like

500 to deliver is nuts. And yeah, I try to get as small as I can. At least I’m pretty close to stuff and if I needed I could rent a truck for an afternoon or something for not thst much.

I drive a 2019 Tesla Model 3 Standard Range Plus, still gives me over 350km of range after 4 years and is plenty fine for me here in Canada, with my work commute being quite short and the ride to Montreal (like 260km or so) easily doable any time of year with that range and a bit of supercharging. Car has 53 000km on odometer (covid helped with that quite a bit!). I love this car to be honest, electric is a game changer and no way I’m going back to gasoline in the future!

Wife drives a 2013 Corolla CE that’s currently at 138 000km, but her work commute is like 2km so while we were looking at replacing it with another Model 3, considering interest rates right now we will most likely wait until the car breaks down. It doesn’t cost me much in fuel and insurance anyway and should still be good for quite a while doing less than 100km per month.

I’m definitely interested in ev and going back and forth on if now is the right time or if I want a solid state battery or different battery tech before I get something. I will definitely not be getting a Tesla though, but glad it’s working out for you.

The Tesla made the most sense at the time in terms of range as well as the accessibility to the supercharger network which is unmatched imo so far and I like the integration with the car, you really have a worry free experience when you set your GPS to your destination and the car tells you if you’ll make it or not, what speed to drive at to make it, and where and how long to stop. The car’s OS is super nice as well (I don’t get people going crazy about android auto or Apple’s Carplay, I find the Tesla one much better) and the software updates keep the car fresh year after year.

Some people don’t like Tesla but I find the “quality issues” to be nitpicking as beside the paint which does scratch easily and feels a bit cheap, everything else has been fine about my experience and for such a young car company I think it’s impressive and they really lead the pack in terms of EVs right now.

There is a lot more choice though and stuff like the EV6 for example and Equinox EV look really nice and more affordable so I will probably consider something else in the future. As far as battery tech though, the solid state stuff is too far off imo no matter what some companies might say and with governments pushing for 2030/2035 to switch, I decided to be ahead of the curve here and start adopting EVs right away and get used to it and so far I think it was the right decision, especially considering in the coldest months of winter I barely pay 55$ in electricity per month to run my Tesla, which is less than a full tank of fuel on my Corolla lol

yeah, there definitely are pros to it - just not my cup of tea. I’ve not been a fan of Musk for several years. I’m familiar with the gps settings for telling you how to go, and that is a cool thing. I can’t stand android auto either, but do tend to plan trips ahead of time to figure out where we’re going to stop for gas based on pricing currently so it’s not that much of a stretch to do the same for charging stations, and it seems like there are going to be quite a few options on our normal paths. Also glad that others seem to be adopting planning to their software as well.

At the moment though, I’m not happy with the pricing for anything that can go more than 300 miles on a charge, and since we have to make some fairly long trips, I’m not as interested in lower range options. So I’m sitting by with our phev until I’m more ok with the pricing & range options. I’m curious about the Equinox and that is definitely on my list, and I’m watching several others as well - it’s just a matter of time & getting what I’m looking for before I buy one. I do know that most companies are pretty far off with the solid state tech, though I also have been keeping my eyes on other options as well that are being researched - I think there will be some pretty neat options within the next 3-4 years, and since I like to keep my cars for quite a while, that’s also helping me delay buying in at the moment. We’ll see though :slight_smile: In the process of building a garage on to our house & one of the things we’re doing as part of that is adding wiring for charging.

If you are looking for a pickup truck at some point consider that as well as at least Ford, and I’m guessing others will as well, sell a much more powerful charger and I’m guessing the wire gauge for that one must be different. I use a 30 amp charger and it’s fine for smaller batteries, but pickups have batteries easily 3 times as big as my model 3, with the Ford Lightning having a special 80 amp charger.

1 Like

That’s helpful - thanks :slight_smile:

I was just thinking about making a topic like this but glad i searched first :joy:

I started a new job in October 2023 at a Lexus/Volvo dealership as a car washer. So i get to drive a variety of different cars daily. There’s also a Porsche dealership on the same lot. Listening to Porsche cars starting up throughout the day never gets old.

Actually bought a car through work recently with a nice discount. 2019 Volvo XC40 as a replacement for my wife’s Mazda 2. With 5 kids the family car is just a boring old Tarago.

2 Likes