What Do You Want To See In Terms of Formatting For This Year's Xbox Games Showcase?

OIP

So, last year we had the first-ever Xbox Games Showcase in July, and for the most part, I think it went very well. I loved many of the announcements, I thought the pace was great and above all, especially given the circumstances, I felt it was a fun time for Xbox fans. Now that we’re in 2021, it again seems that a traditional E3 is off the table, and Xbox is in a very different position this time around, both in terms of having a show under their belt, but also in terms of nearly doubling in studio size overnight. As such, I was curious how people think the show should go this year. Also, this isn’t a predictions thread, so please no “I wanna see Compulsion’s game” or “Announce you’ve acquired SEGA/Paradox/Embracer/whomever.”

Personally, these are my recommendations:

1. Start the show when you are ready.

As it currently stands, the Zenimax deal has yet to close. Currently, EU approval notice should be provided on March 5th and should everything go according to plan, the deal should close shortly after. However, Microsoft has stated the Zenimax deal could close as late as the end of June, and this is before any unforeseen bumps in the road, to which I sincerely hope (and suspect) there are none. After this point, focus needs to be placed on integrating Zenimax into Microsoft and assessing the forthcoming pipeline. I do not know how long this will take.

All I will say is please do not rush a show to meet a deadline. If, for example, you need an extra month with Zenimax, please take it. I am totally fine with a July or August show if needed. I don’t think a show needs to be at E3 or needs to lie within the Summer Games Fest time period.

2. Combine Bethesda and Xbox shows

Simple and straightforward. I think at times Bethesda and Xbox shows can go on a bit longer than necessary. Merging the two should hopefully lead to a meaty but well paced show!

3. Revisit the May Inside Xbox idea

A showcase for third parties, in particular, indies and AA is a fantastic idea and by all accounts I found a ton to like in last years show. Perhaps doing an ID @ Xbox Live show is the way to go. Just set appropriate expectations, but I think the idea is great.

4. Get further involved in the pre-show.

Last year’s pre-show had some pretty good announcements from Xbox’s third party partners. I cannot wait for ExoMecha and Echo Generation looks like great fun from a promising local team. That being said, I cannot say I loved other aspects of the preshow. While seeing people like Alanah Pearce was great, it seemed many of the influencers were either ambivalent to or did not care for Xbox. While dissenting voices are important, for an official event, it kinda takes the wind out of your sails when before Halo you hear “I’m gonna take a bathroom break” and after you hear “Balan Wonderworld was far better than anything shown.” People are entitled to their opinions and tastes but it kinda undoes some of the good for the show.

If you wanna stick with Keighley, I think he is a fantastic interviewer, dating back to his time with Valve. You have some of the best names in gaming with incredible stories to tell and charisma to spare on your team. Major Nelson, Aaron Greenberg, Phil Spencer, Sarah Bond, Brian Fargo, Tameem Antoniades, Todd Howard, Harvey Smith, the ever-delightful Tim Schafer, Darell Galagher, Joe Staten, the list goes on. Having a pre-show of announcements and some interviews with these fine folks would be plenty to be excited for. While these names may not be on the level of the Pewdiepies, MatPats or Jacksepticeyes of the YouTube verse, I think they are far more exciting to learn from and could really help set the tone.

5. Gameplay When Possible, Deep Dives When Not

I think gameplay is important, but I also realize it can be a double-edged sword. When you are too forthcoming about the state of the game, you get a response like Halo Infinite. When you “polish upwards” too much you get Killzone 2 or Cyberpunk. Especially with the time it takes for a vertical slice + the shift to work from home, I understand why gameplay may not be shown.

If this is the case, I’d really like to see something closer to the reveal of Perfect Dark. I think having the devs talk about their vision for the game, their ideas, showing some concept art and then going into the trailer raised the hype and helped paint a picture of what to expect. While I loved the teasers for SoD 3, Avowed and Fable, they don’t tell us a ton more than “zombie deer in State of Decay”, “Pillars is going first-person”, “Fable’s back baby!”. I think some interviews would be really nice.

As an aside, I think some release windows would be nice, but I also understand given Covid, preferring to take the approach Sony did of announcing dates closer to their release. It makes sense.

6. Do Something Special With Halo, but Outside of the Main Show

This is probably going to be my most controversial opinion, and I understand if people disagree. I’m excited for Halo Infinite. I’ve been excited for Halo Infinite since… well, when it was first announced in 2018. However, we have had 3 teases at the game now including a controversial demo. I think for Halo Infinite, they should show a brief gameplay teaser for the campaign, and then maybe take a card out of Nintendo’s book. Open up the flights on that day, and live stream an invitational in the post-show with some Halo champs trying out the new multiplayer.

I’m excited for Halo, but I also think given this is the fourth event it is featured at, it shouldn’t be the opener or closer, but rather should be revealed in a different way.

Those are my thoughts. What do you think?

4 Likes

I agree with everything you said except for the pre-show. I wouldn’t even have a pre-show if it was up to me. Just have a two hour showcase where it’s game after game, a segment for ID@Xbox, a segment for non-first party games being on Game Pass and a segment for third party multi-platform games.

Other than that, I just want to see gameplay trailers from the games that have been announced the last two years. Hellblade 2, Starfield, Wolfenstein III, Fable and a long segment for Halo Infinite including a comparison between what was originally shown and what that section looks like now.

Halo Infinite (and all their first party games for that matter) should have an Inside Xbox presents episode where it’s a 20-30 minute overview of the game itself. Will never understand why Microsoft hasn’t done this already. It’s cheap, easy to do and very effective.

3 Likes

The examples are there an obvious I reckon. Just copy the Nintendo Direct format im both main and indie showcases and copy the deep dives that Sony does for their major releases.

Thats it. Its not that hard and I dont know why xbox insists on being different with this.

3 Likes

I want them to stop doing a pre show, but instead do a post show. The main event would procede as they have in the past and end the same way as before, but if you were interested you could stay ‘tuned in’ to the live stream for the post show.

In the post show you would have developer interviews (even just those 60-90 seconds ones, giving a very brief bit of info on the game), extended gameplay trailers, actual trailers for id@xbox titles (I always think its a shame to blast through the indy titles so fast, I understand why they arent big enough to have a dedicated segment in the main show, but there is no reason they couldn’t have a proper segment in the post show, indy devs are often so passionate about their games, and its such a shame to not get to see them in the limelight for a bit). You could also have those ‘first 5 minutes of…’ different titles.

The preshow is inherently time limited, because you cant really have a pre show that has 2 hours of content, it kinda has to be shorter than the main show otherwise it just becomes the main show. Having a post show allows it to go on for as long as you want, who cares if the post show is 3 hours long? I dont! I’ll be watching all of it, if its not for you then you have already seen the main show and can just turn it off.

2 Likes

I agree on Halo, though I am sure Halo will still be the focus of the show. I hope there are other meaty gameplay and real time demos to go with it.

1 Like
  1. No CGI unless it has gameplay or a BTS vidoc attached to it
  2. Do BC announcements in pre-show
  3. Do any platform feature announcements in pre-show
  4. Do any acquisition announcements in pre-show
  5. Have Phil do pre-show interview to set expectations in check
  6. Get Marty back on Halo and have him conduct a live orchestra for a new gameplay demo
  7. Make Halo the end of the show so the stuff beforehand get more attention
  8. Show lots of gameplay-based trailers
  9. Shadow drop for FlightSim on
  10. Set aside plenty of stage demos, 5 minutes or longer
  11. Show stage demos on stuff that is announced immediately prior
  12. Use xCloud to allow all X1 and XSS/XSX owners to stream stage demos from the cloud
  13. Phil should make clear in pre-show all Bethesda games are permanent exclusives to Xbox ecosystem
  14. Do a post-show with more info on stuff we just saw
  15. Show off tech demos (ML, cloud) and some BTS stuff in post-show
  16. Find new hosts for pre/post show (Geoff can be cringey and Major is super cringe all the time)
  17. No references to streamers or other content creators or anything of the like, just game/platform news
  18. Show plenty of WIP Bethesda titles and if they get another publisher before then, show their stuff too.
  19. Provide direct feed 4k footage of everything along with tech info to media outlets so they can analyze the games
  20. Don’t hype anything at all about the show until 72 hrs beforehand
1 Like

They should continue doing what they did with the July Xbox Games Showcase last year. I think that’s the perfect way to do things. Well, besides the pre-show. They didn’t waste anytime at the showcase, it was just game after game and I loved it. With the added Bethesda studios, they should have two major showcases, maybe with a couple smaller ones (Inside Xbox). I think they should have one showcase per season.

So, start off in the spring with a small showcase. Here they can show some games from their indie and other partners, maybe sprinkle in a little bit of first-party. So, things like the Ascent, Psychonauts 2, the Gunk, Xbox Game Pass stuff, Microsoft Flight Simulator, Tunic, etc. Have it be similar to the May event from last year.

Then have the big E3 show for summer. Drop some bombs there, though not all (to save for later). They should have all their big first-party games, such as Halo, Forza, Fable, Avowed, Hellblade, Starfield, reveal some new stuff too. They can have a bit of third-party here too for games they have the marketing rights for, like maybe Battlefield 6 for example.

Next comes the autumn show, which would be another smaller event, similar to the spring event I described. Here, they can have deep dives for some of their games they may not have had time for at E3. And again, show some smaller games here.

And then finally, the winter show in December, which can be an expanded X02?. Drop those remaining bombs, give more details on things announced at the E3 show, have a bunch of gameplay for announced titles.

I think that would be a pretty great way to fill the year with news.

1 Like

1.) Copy Nintendo Direct

2.) Hire Keith David to do the voice over/presentation.

That is all.

2 Likes

1 - Do more presentations throughout the year. They have plenty of games we are dying to see more. So show them properly and not just a single trailer at the conference. Specially DONT follow the Gears 5 route where it seemed they were hiding the game.

2- Get rid of pre show. But do release trailers and announcements outside of the main one. E3 2013 was great for that, smaller games announced right before the conference.

3 - Do more than 1 big show per year. They have the content so have e3 for the biggest guns, but also participate in Gamescon, TGS, x21 and even TGA (as much as I don’t like that event)

4 - Partner up more for 3rd party announcements. May Inside xbox turned out to be pretty great in hindsight when it comes to announcements. So do more of those so there’s always a spotlight for devs that want to partner up with Xbox.

5 - WRT 4, do more regional/genre based shows. Like an Inside xbox showcasing 3rd party announcements from China. Another one focused on Fighting games coming to Xbox. Marketing is a a great way to get content and having a place for all countries and all genres to shine under your spotlight is a way to get more support.

6 - More demos. Take advantage of the digital event format and cut the need of gaming journalists playing the game to tell us how it is and instead let us play them directly. Use Xcloud to ensure devs can make the demos on a dev environment without going through all the hassle of setting up a demo that works on retail consoles.

7 - Continue with Blog posts, random drops for non gaming related announcements. Stuff like new features and BC drops.

8 - Make the id@xbox shows a monthly thing. Always with 2 shows. One for announcing new games at the end of the month and one to showcase upcoming games for the month right at the start. Again, this kind of promotion really helps attracting content.

1 Like

I only want to see shadow drops. No actual events or singular points of focus.

The shadow drops would be where videos of games are released to YouTube of the best they have available to show along with a Blog post going into more detail about the game. Drop a half dozen to dozen or so at a time.

Don’t give any of the typical negative commentators a chance to prepare.

Do you want a 2 1/2 hour show? :smiley:

Very much agree on this