What do you do for a living? What are your ambitious, hopes, dreams etc?

Born and live in Kansas City, MO.

I worked as a corporate photographer/videographer for 7 years. I began to hate it. Just going from job to job, not really getting any fulfillment. I didn’t feel the work I was doing was very creative or anything I had a real interest in. I quit and bartended for a few years while going back to school to learn a nice, respectable trade.

I just got my first job as a machinist running cnc lathes making parts mostly for the aerospace industry. Really liking it. I think there are a lot of opportunities. Most of the guys I work with are significantly older and nearing retirement age. I seems like it’s a trade that not a lot of people think to do, but is really important.

I just want my kids to be successful and happy. I want to upgrade my house and eventually move into a better one. I’d like to work on my drawing and illustration skills, maybe make that graphic novel I’ve had on my mind awhile. I want to find more time to disc golf and, of course, play video games.

Born and Live in Brazil, currently in the city of Vitoria in Espírito Santo.

Worked with software development my entire career, from a dab at game development on a local startup, that is unfortunately shut down now, but we did manage to publish a few games :), to solutions that helped mining and oil companies brigde the gap between automation and software world. Now I work remotely at Crossover for Work, on a team creating awesome cost optimizations solutions for cloud based infrastructures.

I think I can call truly lucky because I truly loved every single of one them (and not just the work itself the place and other colleagues too) and even more so my current position. It is super technical challenging (something that I think it’s a positive :stuck_out_tongue:) but the workplace policies, the remote nature and of course the financial compensation really makes it a dream job for me. It completely changed my lifestyle.

I do work in IT - mainly level 2 infrastrucutre support - so a lot of monitoring backend hardware and applications and then making sure it gets fixed.

Currently working on automation scripts and training to build out our ticketing system environment which has me working with PowerShell and JavaScript - the latter I have almost no familiarity with so that’s been great to fumble around with.

Also spending some off-time learning Python as I would like to go into Network Engineering (earned my CCNA certification in 2020) but haven’t had an opportunity to utilize it yet in my production environment.

I’m originally from Mississauga but recently moved to Hamilton, Ontario, Canada. I work in high rise construction as a carpenter. Im outside everyday for work even in the cold. I do the concrete forming for alot of buildings in the greater Toronto area.

Got 1 dog (chino) and 1 cat ( sakura). Had a second dog but unfortunately i had to put her down this fall. Have a 1 year old son named dante with my girlfriend of 11 years (eliana).

I would like to start my own construction company on the side but hate the idea of missing out on my sons life doing side jobs because thats how my father was. So we will see how that goes.

1 Like

Working as a solution architect focused on Microsoft Azure

My private and professional interests are kind mixed up in many ways since both are focused on the Microsoft ecosystem… (and has been for the last 20 years almost now…)

Birmingham, AL here. I am currently a level 2 remote I.T. Tech for a Construction firm in Texas. This is an interesting topic to me since I have a ton of Dreams and goals in life most of which will probably never be realized as I don’t have the resources or funds. I was born and raised in a small town in Alabama, Birmingham is my first major city to live in. Anyway as far as dreams One of my dreams is to open five different game studios across the country, the first being in Birmingham. I have maybe 20 different game ideas. I would love for them to all be 2nd party Xbox studios. I want one in NYC, SLC, New Orleans, and one in Dallas or Seattle to be close to Microsoft. This is particularly challenging since I have no game making experience, I am just a very creative type I like to come up with stories and characters. Some of my other goals and dreams are about bringing some positivity and change to Birmingham and Alabama. I would like to build 3 towers downtown two being in the 60 to 70 story range and one super tall to become the tallest building in the southeast. I want a restaurant at the top of one and an observation deck. I want a sky bridge between two of them around 30 stories up. I would like one to house the Birmingham game studio and the HQ for all the studios as well as the corporate offices for all of my business ideas. Other such business ideas include a datacenter around Birmingham an IT consulting business and an ISP I want to make Birmingham fiber up to stat of the art ad broadcast free wifi throughout downtown. Other than bringing some jobs and improving my home town which doesn’t have much by opening a manufacturing plant for custom truck parts and possible my own car manufacturer I want to open an Algae biofuel refinery there and bring some good jobs. I want to invest heavily into my alma mater and improve the school. I also want to bring entertainment and jobs to that and other surrounding areas because we had to drive at least an hour to find a movie theater I have an idea to bring smaller cinemas with restaurants and ATV dealerships. As far as bigger probably more unobtainable dreams I would love to build a maglev highspeed train from the DFW area to Washington DC with stops in Jackson MS, Birmingham, Atlanta and other spots. I also want to put a solar farm in space with the goal of growing it to generate enough power for the southeast and beam it back down to earth. That was a lot of info trying to cram into a short post. Anyway just a few things I want to do to try and make Alabama and my town and places a little bit better.

I pack up adult toys that I store in my basement and ship them across the globe to strangers, sometimes with notes attached, and charge them for it. :stuck_out_tongue:

[I run an Etsy shop selling gaming related props/replicas.]

That’s my side hustle at least (which is no my main hustle, sigh). My ‘real’ job is I’m a physics professor who researches physics education. Dream job is to design/develop STEM education software to tap into what I believe is an area of enormous potential; the overlap of game design principles and STEM education.

My dream job growing up was to play professional baseball (did that at low level for a summer, and tbh I kinda instantly grew bored with it and wasn’t certain of my prospects so I continued my degree and moved on). So I got to say ‘I did my dream job!’ sorta. Hope I can say it again in due time. :slight_smile:

1 Like

I am a Program Manager leading our data transformation program. It sounds cool and most days it is but like any other initiative driving massive change, there’s much unknowns, too much to do and lots of risks.

Being able to manage change including the people aspect is what keeps me up at night. But working with smart people and in a great company culture helps. :rofl:

My short term 2-3 goals are:

• pay off mortgage and all debt
  • take a year or two off work to focus on travel and health
  • renovate both bathrooms
  • getting back in shape, thanks to covid and WFH I have gained a few lbs :muscle:
  • have substantial savings and investments

My hopes:

• quit 9-5 corporate life within 5 years
  • travel world and probably be a digital nomad and live mostly in SE Asia
  • be happy and live a fulfilling life with my wife
  • give back and volunteer
2 Likes

I live in the UK (Shakespeare’s home town to be precise).

I’m a web developer currently in the public sector and I’m loving it, I don’t really know where I want to go from here because i love the job so much. Got a couple of side gigs doing freelance work for a couple of clients and just seem to have a complete lack of time for most things lol

2 Likes

I live in The Netherlands and work for a government consultancy firm. I work at and with local governments to help them achieve better and cheaper healthcare to their inhabitants.

Currently working with a relatively small municipality building contracts for the entire ‘social sector’ within that municipality. This means youth healthcare (dyslexia, youth psychiatry, youth activities), healthcare for the elderly (house cleaning, daily activities, taxi’s), debt programs (managing peoples budgets, debt restructuring) and social services such as job coaching, leading people to a new job, etc. Just changed jobs 4 months ago and I’m in a much better place right now. A lot busier though, which is new to me.

And on the side I try and post news stories and moderate this forum. :wink:

2 Likes

you’re like the Hulk but if like Bruce Banner turned into LeBron when he was angry

2 Likes

This is an awesome thread. Some interesting tales told here!

I am a Relationship Manager for a US based software company working out of EMEA, but with clients all over the globe. Before COVID, I got to start travelling a fair bit, which is kinda amusing because I was previously known for being reluctant to leave Essex, one of the home counties in the UK.

I obviously, alongside a surprisingly high pressured role at my ‘real job’ , run (with a lovely team alongside me) this place, which in a frightening twist is becoming busier and busier. Eventually the constant burning candles at both ends will catch up with me, but for now, I’m enjoying the challenge!

I’ve always wanted to do something like this, and putting it together is something I’m incredibly proud of. :blush:

4 Likes

oh… gaming props

stressed let down GIF by New Amsterdam

:slight_smile:

1 Like

So I am from the UK but I live in DE.

My dream job since I was little was to be Catwoman. Around 10 years old I decided that I may have issues being a fictional character as a job so added, as number 2 option should my first dream fail to be a Lighting Director in movies.

I actually achieved my dream job quite young, I started in theatre as a lampy, moved on to stage management before moving onto film as a gaffer in several films. Nothing Hollywood naturally, I am from Sunderland and get baity around people “what speak proper”. I had a wonderful time working with some amazing film makers on amazing projects, I know @Sikamikanico knows of one of these projects :stuck_out_tongue:

However after some time it started to take a toll, I had zero personal time, travelled a lot and the stress of lining up future work to cover dry time got too much, after spending more time arguing over work visas than actually “working” I looked outside “The Biz” for the first time in my life.

It was finally then, I became catwoman.

Someone I was cat-burgling suggested a job in Healthcare and I have been there ever since. Currently I work as 2nd level support for optical healthcare devices. My job is to assist the field engineers who after arriving on site with the correct parts still can’t quite fix the issue and need to speak to someone to bounce ideas off or speak to R&D or the factory on their behalf. After being that field Engineer in prior positions, I am glad to no longer be sweating with a consultant behind me wondering why their Theatre equipment is still broken.

I would dearly love to be back in my dream job, but also not. I love my family, I love my Job and my friends who still work in movies have the joy of creation but also still need to deal with the distance from loved ones and crunch. Speaking to a DOP last week and we were both envious of each other so I must have done something right. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Ok, this got me good this morning. :joy:

2 Likes

Good idea for a thread.

I am a married father of 1 living in the UK and work in the Magazine industry. My job mostly consists of analysing data, drawing conclusions/assumptions from said data and reporting back suggestions to the higher ups as so business strategy.

My passion is gaming and the tech behind it and I really enjoying discussing and debating it. My dream is to get into content creation and create a platform to share and discuss this with other like-minded people.

2 Likes

Haha. We did once get asked about a real creepy custom project involving a kraken tentacle but I prolly shouldn’t go into detail as we turned it down since…well, we just did. lol

Just as well, tentacles shudder ugh. :smiley:

1 Like

I’m just a Student for Energytech and Resourcemanagement

awwwwww, My little Student Opatschi!!

despicable me unicorn GIF

oo How is your new house? Are you in? Is it cool?