VRR on HDMI 2.0

Can HDMI 2.0 port support VRR for XSX?

I am aware of it not supporting 4k + 120 + HDR.

But what about 1440p +120 + HDR?

Is it possible?

I was interested in buying (monitor 27’) LG gn 950 to go with XSX. But gn 950 only support HDMI 2.0

Note: this is the best and only monitor which support HDR 600 in India right now. I don’t have any other choices. otherwise I will have to compromise with HDR which i don’t want to do.

I think VRR is only for HDMI 2.1.

Then why does the LG gn 950 support free sync & g-sync?

I’m gonna take a look at it. When I asked when I tried to find a new TV, they told me that basically all these new features like VRR, or ALLM were for 2.1, but if you say that Free-sync is for 2.0 on your monitor, I will look into it.

I think it may be with the DisplayPort connectic.

Oh! I get it now. So no point in buying this for a console. HDMI 2.1 is essential for consoles.

Wait a minute, I may have found something. Apparently HDMI 2.0 may have VRR support if the manufacturer planned to support that feature. Some screen or TV may support VRR even with a HDMI 2.0 connectic as a result.

Xbox One X has VRR support over HDMI 2.0.

3 Likes

Thanks.

This is the monitor i was talking about.

1 Like

i think it should be good, though I will try to look more if it is enabled through 2.0.

I would consider reaching out to LG and seeing if this particular model supports Freesync over HDMI. It will probably do so at like 1080p or 1440p but better safe than sorry.

3 Likes

Here is a test from Rtings :

The LG 27UN950-B has native FreeSync Premium Pro support to reduce screen tearing, and it’s certified by NVIDIA to be G-SYNC compatible as well. You need a DisplayPort connection to achieve its max 144Hz refresh rate and G-SYNC support. Its FreeSync VRR range over a DP connection is between 50-95Hz. Over HDMI, you can achieve a max refresh rate of 60Hz and it only supports FreeSync.

Though, I would also advise to contact LG to be sure on that one.

Thank you for this.

1 Like

my Samsung TV supports FreeSync with 1440p and 120Hz over HDMI 2.0. So it is possible. On some FreeSync TVs you have to enabe 4:2:2 color compression because 1440p+120Hz+HDR is on the boundary of HDMI 2.0 bandwith.

1 Like

VRR was already supported on Xbox One which only had HDMI 2.0. Though how it was constrained I do not remember.

Yeah, I saw that when I was looking for answers.

I use Freesync on my monitor over hdmi 2.0 at 1440p. It works great for both Destiny and CoD.

1 Like

Xbox doesn’t output HDR at sub 4k resolutions. You might want to check if your monitor accepts a 4k 60 HDR signal and downscales.

Here is a guide that I wrote on reddit. https://www.reddit.com/r/XboxSeriesS/comments/kw2vl5/series_s_monitors_guide/

2 Likes

mine does.

Disable allow 4k on your Xbox and try again.