Video Game Market Analysis Thread

I wish we got info on VR.

Monthly active users(MAU) is what Microsoft cares about.

1 Like

Yeah this. It’s like people have sat there for three years listening to Spencer and Microsoft talk about what the plans are and how they measure success then as soon as some NPD numbers come out it’s all forgotten.

It’s deliberate of course. They just want to create a narrative of failure because that’s all they are interested in. But it’s infuriating that these people comment on something they clearly do not understand or at least are deliberately not understanding it.

2 Likes

The moment they purchase Bethesda and instantly make Starfield, Redfall, etc console exclusive, they are giving up on hundreds of millions of dollars just in 2023 to focus on Xbox console.

Doesn’t matter what Phil says, he’s a PR guy after all, the boss of Xbox, of course he isn’t going to sell “oh well we are not doing good”.

And yes, Xbox Series has been a failure… SO FAR, this 2,5 years have been simply bad, but we’re on a 8? years generation and the future looks much better, this can still be the best Xbox gen, and if they end this gen on a good shape, next one’s start will be veeery different.

2 Likes

Wow. So in 2020 and 2021 as Xbox grew their market share and even into 2022 were doing so that was a failure?

Also the point of these console exclusives is to drive people into the ecosystem via consoles or PC or cloud. Not necessarily to just shift consoles.

Right now there is a shortage of series x hardware and that is contributing to sales numbers. And Xbox have had a lean patch in terms of big exclusives. But that will change.

Not a chance that this generation is a failure thus far unless you think Microsoft compare their business like a fanboy does. They aren’t sitting there worrying about their sales vs Sony. But are measuring their mau’s and subscribers and engagement metrics.

5 Likes

Just to be clear, Xbox does have a problem but it’s not console demand. The problem is the inability to produce enough consoles. I can routinely go into Walmart and see PS5s in the case, but never see Series X inside the case. Xbox does legitimately have a manufacturing problem when you compare them to PS5.

People can talk about NPD numbers all they want, rarely do I see anyone point out the obvious reason for PlayStation outselling Xbox.

6 Likes

IMHO the pandemic helped them sales wise so far in the generation, but Sony did better with games and specially marketing to make PS5 look like a more attractive option, and they are doing some numbers that wouldn’t be even close to reachable for Xbox even without this hardware shortage.

A Xbox owner has the potential to give MS much more money than a PC one, of course they’d love to get as many Xbox customers as they can, it’s harder than getting some PC guy to play his games or pay for Gamepass tho, that’s also true.

1 Like

Console sales definitely are important to their MAU though. Better a MAU through a console sales that drives more sales of products than someone logging in for a free session of Fortnite on xcloud. They need people in the ecosystem that join in and keep spending money, and that’s what consoles drive the most. As far as we know from rumours, PC Gamepass is not that popular so console owners are the ones driving Gamepass adoption.

It’s also not normal at this point for Sony to break records and for MS to be in 3rd place with no consoles on store shelves, and even entertaining them holding back for big games doesn’t make any sense as customers that want to be buying now will be getting PS5s instead.

Like it’s not all doom and gloom like some are saying, but even if big games are coming out later this year, the slowing down they have in terms of sales when everyone else is thriving is slightly alarmful imo and I don’t understand how they could somehow be the only ones not able to produce consoles when there is no shortage of consoles/CPUs/GPUs anywhere on the market right now.

2 Likes

Console sales are not the most important thing. For example Nintendo for all it’s Switch sales has annual revenue similar to Xbox division, with over twice the console sold. But on the other hand diminishing it’s importance in the larger scheme of things is laughable.

1 Like

Moneyhats aren’t going anywhere.

1 Like

I wouldn’t be so sure, if it includes exclusionary clauses, thats gonna be on regulatory spotlight soon.

3 Likes

No one is saying console doesn’t matter, its just people doom and gloom about it, when thats not really the game microsoft is playing. They should make more consoles, im not excusing them about it, and it does help with the MAU, or even promote their ecosystem but there is a ceiling for consoles.That is why they are entering the mobile space because it has a much higher potential for MAU and revenue/profit, and its not just cloud gaming they are after, but native mobile apps as well. Xbox will still be relevant because thats the hardware they use for xcloud, and they are giving you the choice to play that way, along with PC hardware.

3 Likes

Yep.

Xbox must have issues with console production of the Series X. Something has gone wrong somewhere. I also think a console gamer is worth a lot of mobile Fortnite cloud gamers, so selling consoles shouldn’t be waived off as not important.

I also don’t think Game Pass numbers are where they would like them to be tbh, and if that is also very dependant on consoles more than PC… well it comes back to the importance of the consoles.

I think it will work itself out if they can produce more Series X’s and the big games start to hit. Starfield alone will carry consoles, cloud and Game Pass to new heights.

1 Like

They are also producing hardware for their cloud servers at the same time, might be one of the reasons for the supply issues, but yes, once the games(software) comes out, and there is alot on the pipeline(which make it hard to ignore, even by casual gamers), numbers/sales or availability will pick up. In the end, its all about the games right?:grin:

Yep, it always comes back to the games.

1 Like

As usual, it’s always a combination of everything, rather than just one certain aspect of the company.

The same people saying consoles don’t really matter that much were the same ones predicting 30M gamepass subs at the end of 2021 with Forza and Halo’s release.

It got no where near that. Why ? Lack of consoles on the shelf.

Cloud gaming is nice and all but it’s still a topping (for now), not the main dish and it will continue to be that way for the rest of the generation. Gotta walk before you can run in regards with dismissing the importance of consoles vs cloud.

4 Likes

Canadian?

I’m not too surprised. At that price it’s exclusively an enthusiast thing. Personally I also feel VR is a “fad” kind of thing.

This does show though, that not everything Playstation puts out is guaranteed success.

4 Likes