Video Game Market Analysis Thread

PS5 starting to lap the field. Switch 2 gotta be on the horizon as well, unit sales are starting to slow down hard.

1 Like

How FF16 physical pre-orders are stacking up against previous PS FF games in Japan via COMG (small retail JP store that makes pre-orders visible, popular for gauging overall pre-order interest)

FF16’s number has always been small here but now we have a problem: The new tons of gameplay did nothing to fix it. It just might not be that interesting of a game for the JP market (and, well, I mean, the interviews surrounding it say things like they want the GTA and CoD audience…)

2 Likes

As long as SE takes Playstation’s change for exclusivity I feel no sympathy

7 Likes

Definition of insanity.

They keep doing the same practices and get shocked at the results lol.

3 Likes

That first tweet is a little misleading, as unless you know he only reports UK numbers, it makes it sound like it’s world wide. I do think that Hogwarts could pass Elden Ring, as the last reported figure for it that I heard was 12 Million to Elden Rings 20 Million.

As for the rest, I’ll will always maintain that Xbox needs to cut down on the Xcloud manufacturing to put more consoles out there, the fact that they sold less even though they’re selling everything, makes look like they are not putting as much consoles out there as before.

Switch 2 is definitely needed for Nintendo to keep their momentum, but they should get a big boost once Zelda launches this year. Hopefully they also announce the Switcharoo close to Zelda’s launch.

1 Like

Yeah he’s UK based, I’m aware.

Hogwarts doesn’t have any DLC planned so maybe that slows growth down over the next couple of months. Might have a chance of being the highest selling game of the year though.

Its unfortunate for MS that Halo Infinite and FH5 launched when they were still in a hardware drought and were selling everything they could. And then they had a blank year when towards the end of it series S started to be more available.

In hindsight they didn’t need launch games or even 2021 games - they just needed games the second half of last year as hardware all round became a bit more available.

Boneheaded decision on SE’s part, FF16 is not going to meet their expectations.

1 Like

If FF16 isn’t gonna sell well in Japan then there is now a strong “expectation” that the West will have to do extra hard “carrying” to make up for it, tough order when the game is not available on two other popular Western platforms (PC, Xbox)

The only way I can see that happening is if the game gets BOTW tier reviews and praise, but from the gameplay it just “simply” looks like a solid ARPG and that’s about it.

FF7R sold a lot in Japan, was one of the best selling PS4 games there, so it is an important market for FF. Had the game flopped in Japan, the game itself would be a flop.

It does also feel like every time the game re enters the news cycle, we have Square/Yoshi-P “begging” you to buy a PS5. “PS5s are in stock now, please buy one for FF16!” “FF16 PC won’t be ready after 6 months, please get it on PS5!”

Game will be a moderate success for sure though, a good game with Sony marketing isn’t gonna -flop-. I also wonder if Sony has PS5 FF16 bundles planned?

1 Like
3 Likes
2 Likes

And forget the xbox for a second. No pc day 1 is absolulteky fucking cowardly from SE. Like they dont even give a shit about hoe this game sells.

This isnt ps1 or 2 generation anymore. You cant get away with releasing an exclusive and have strong sales. Maybe in 10 years if ps5 sells a 120m ff16 might sell huge numbers…but by then it skuet numbers. Game would be 10 dollar bargain bin and on ps plus. Look at elden ring and look at hogwarts. Ff16 isnt dojng even half those numbers.

By the time ff7 remake came to ps4…ps4 already had 100m units sold

Famitsu Software Sales (physical only)

01./01. [NSW] Kirby’s Return to Dream Land Deluxe (Nintendo) {2023.02.24} (¥5.980) - 62.581 / 251.612 (-67%)

02./00. [PS5] Wo Long: Fallen Dynasty # (Koei Tecmo) {2023.03.03} (¥7.800) - 30.132 / NEW

03./05. [NSW] Pokemon Scarlet / Violet # (Pokemon Co.) {2022.11.18} (¥5.980) - 24.592 / 4.908.398 (+4%)

04./00. [PS4] Wo Long: Fallen Dynasty # (Koei Tecmo) {2023.03.03} (¥7.800) - 17.699 / NEW

05./00. [NSW] Rune Factory 3 Special # (Marvelous) {2023.03.02} (¥4.980) - 16.627 / NEW

06./07. [NSW] Splatoon 3 (Nintendo) {2022.09.09} (¥5.980) - 14.766 / 3.918.766 (-1%)

07./02. [NSW] Octopath Traveler II (Square Enix) {2023.02.24} (¥7.091) - 14.085 / 68.080 (-74%)

08./06. [PS5] Hogwarts Legacy # (WB Games) {2023.02.10} (¥8.980) - 13.449 / 139.535 (-39%)

09./10. [NSW] Mario Kart 8 Deluxe (Nintendo) {2017.04.28} (¥5.980) - 10.295 / 5.183.660 (+1%)

10./00. [NSW] Metroid Prime Remastered (Nintendo) {2023.03.03} (¥3.980) - 7.960 / NEW

Hardware Sales

PlayStation 5 – 78.412 (3.057.112)

Switch – 66.525 (28.439.716)

PlayStation 4 – 1.655 (9.431.894)

Xbox Series X|S – 848 (430.150)

3DS – 66 (24.598.878)

Alright, looks like Kirby remains king. We also get to see Wo Long now. Let’s compare to Nioh

[PS4] Nioh (Koei Tecmo) {2017.02.09} - 75.477

[PS4] Nioh 2 ([Koei Tecmo], 03/12/20) – 91,892

Nioh 2 saw growth compared to one… Less so for Wo Long. From what is being said this game’s best performing region is other parts of Asia which is in line for Koei Tecmo; Their games sell best in Asia. -Player count- could be much different because of the Game Pass release though, which could highly increase the Western playerbase. It is #14 on the Top Played Xbox games in the US. Though we do know that as of right now only 33% of Xbox/PCGP players are past the tutorial

Still, in Japan, declining to Nioh 2 which saw growth is not the best IMO. Even if you double (generous for Japan sales) Wo Long’s sales via digital and assume Nioh 1 and 2 sold 0 digital copies then it would only match Nioh 1, which is why I always say “Don’t bet on digital to always be saving the day.” I posted enough times many signs that PS digital sales in Japan aren’t as strong as some hope for.

I was called crazy for thinking Koei’s Atelier Ryza 3 will be the better seller in Japan, now I feel more emboldened on that (it’s even on Famitsu’s Top 10 most anticipated poll, Wo Long was never)

IMO Wo Long is great but is just easy mode Nioh. Started the game a few days ago and I almost 100%ed it. I think all hands are on deck for Rise of the Ronin. Koei’s been hoping for a “5 million seller” and apparently they’re betting on Rise of the Ronin to be that. Might need PS5 bundles to hit that I think though

Octopath 2 held on at least. Will be gone next week though, PS versions left however.

Metroid hitting the top 10 is good especially with the late physical launch, Metroid’s never been big in Japan and especially not the FPS games. Though with the limited quantities, maybe that is every copy sold :sweat_smile:

Once again, Series X went over Series S. Neither are strong sellers but for X it’s stock issues. For S, it’s fully available, it’s simply not desired.

| XBS X | 708

| XBS S | 140

Just to beat it home, we’ve been given another hint at the state of digital PS sales in Japan thanks to Earth Defense Force 6, which recently revealed an estimate of around 50k digital PS5 sales. This was the second best selling digital PS5 game of 2022 so that means everything below it here sold less than that

2 Likes

PlayStation 5 – 78.412 (3.057.112)

Switch – 66.525 (28.439.716)

PlayStation 4 – 1.655 (9.431.894)

Xbox Series X|S – 848 (430.150)

Xbox getting outperformed by a 6 year old console is hilarious. Its supposed to be peak hardware sales for them right now. Series X is flopping harder than XBO

It’s looking pretty bad for the brand even in its strongest markets, all things considered.

FFXVI in June and then Spiderman 2, Silent hill 2, Marketing rights for Alan wake 2, marketing rights for cod still, marketing rights for street fighter 6, and who knows what else and probably a ps5 slim perhaps with a pricecut, ps5 could possibly pass 50 million sold if they have the stock for it.

I’d love them xbox drop the hardware and focus on being a 3rd party publisher. It would honestly be awesome to have their games on PS5. If not via Game Pass, I’d still possibly buy their games from the Store if they made them available, like with Steam. The only difference between console and PC is that MS have console hardware that is competing with PS. Cut that out and everybody benefits.

It would be wise not to overreact on data from a single retailer.

7 Likes

They’ll be fine

3 Likes

Jfc, this looks like Europe.

I appreciate people who analyze the industry as a hobby but I don’t take any of these numbers seriously because they are not official and at best guess work

1 Like

Using walmart.com as a way to explain the overall market is like 10x more laughable than caring about UK Physical sales

3 Likes