Video Game Market Analysis Thread

I would really like to read your views on this, cause right now I dont see how consoles are a priority for Xbox.

We’re decade and some change from this ever happening if not longer.

I don’t think you need to worry about this happening any time soon.

Do we have numbers for other markets?

I didn’t even know that there was already a PS5 Bundle of GOW: Ragnarok, even more surprised that, apparently, it was released together with the game. There’s nothing wrong with that, but it’s good to point out “these little details”, because we know how many people like to use Sony’s game sales numbers to belittle those of the XBOX.

1 Like

In my opinion the reason while hardware will always be a thing is outside factors like internet providers, lack of investment on the infrastructure by the companies that own them (as we know Google tried but then just kind of stopped), not all people in governments seeing the internet as an essential service or wanting to even make it such.

1 Like

Weekly Famitsu

Software Sales (physical only)

1. [PS5] Hogwarts Legacy – 67,196 / NEW
  2. [NSW] Pokemon Scarlet / Violet – 29,019 / 4,836,510
  3. [NSW] Splatoon 3 – 13,343 / 3,876,184
  4. [NSW] Mario Kart 8 Deluxe – 11,807 / 5,153,979
  5. [NSW] Minecraft – 7,566 / 3,040,308
  6. [NSW] Fire Emblem Engage – 7,267 / 193,187
  7. [NSW] Nintendo Switch Sports – 7,127 / 1,001,330
  8. [NSW] Mario Party Superstars – 5,155 / 1,175,091
  9. [PS5] Gran Turismo 7 – 5,065 / 280,995
  10. [NSW] Super Smash Bros. Ultimate – 5,025 / 5,121,897

Hardware Sales

PlayStation 5 – 93.574 (2.798.318)

Switch – 55.025 (28.262.911)

Xbox Series X|S – 3.935 (421.975)

PlayStation 4 – 1.115 (9.426.599)

3DS – 91 (24.598.566)

Hogwarts is a pretty strong debut when you compare to how other “PS5 only” software has done in Japan. I imagine the game is helping out with PS5 console sales too, which are looking very high.

Xbox dipped back down after it’s boost last week which was expected. Still higher than it’s average of 1k though

2 Likes

I often forget the last gen of Hogwarts is delayed, so you have no choice. In other words, who knows if PS4 would have outsold it or not. Well, better than Forspoken at least.

Far better than Forspoken. In fact it’s a much more appealing product for Japan than Forspoken ever was and in fact I’d say that WB had Japan in mind when considering the Switch version of Hogwarts (still interested to see how that turns out)

https://mobile.twitter.com/OliverJia1014/status/1623977367306919938

Switch release will be very interesting to see. Imagine the sale ended up the best despite longer wait and lowered power spec.

Interesting how Hogwarts Xbox version didn’t even chart.

Besides XGS releases there are no physical Xbox releases in Japan anymore besides the random odd ones (I think last year Saints Row and Gungrave Gore were the only third party Xbox physical releases in Japan)

Hogwarts is the top played game on the JP Xbox marketplace however

1 Like

Oh I see, didn’t know that.

It’s what happened with the Demon Slayer game. The Switch version released later (like 8 months later) and in Japan it outsold the PS version in like 2 weeks.

The market there just isn’t as passionate about this “specs” stuff lol.

Appearance of below MSRP used PS5s in Japanese stores.

1 Like

Good riddance.

Those scalpers in the first year of the new gen were nasty people.

2 Likes

Sorry I’m late on this, but a decade could mean one more console gen and that’s it.

No worries.

A decade + is a long time in my eyes. Atleast within the gaming land scape.

I said it in another other thread, but MS only making consoles for one more gen wouldn’t surprise me in the least.

Let Xbox release the games they have in the pipeline before declaring that they are bowing out after one more console cycle.

IF all the Xbox games slated for this year alone are critically well received and successful, I think your outlook will change, if not, at least slightly.

On the other hand, I think Playstation is also almost as likely to bow out after one more console cycle. Yes, it is hard to imagine that for the current market leader, but you have to wonder why they have 10+ GAAS type games in the pipeline. One factor is possibly that AAA game development is becoming ‘unsustainable’ for Playstation also and as a result, that alone will not be enough to deliver their brand of games. So, they need one of these GAAS games to hit big and be a constant revenue stream alongside Bungie’s Destiny.

2 Likes

Is there anyone that tracks digital sakes in japan?

Famitsu software sales are irrelevant these days. Only the hardware numbers are meaningful.

1 Like