Video Game Market Analysis Thread

That is exactly why I put that out there, even Playstation games are struggling to chart. If Xbox can chart a physical game in the top 30 it should be seen as a big win. A top 10 would be a very big deal and a sign that Xbox has regained physical store presence.

This would be a clear indicator of a “win” with no excuses about competitor supply constraints or whatever.

Yeah i understand but unfortunately the stste of physical store presence is getting lower for everything. Ps5 can barely get any games in top 30. I dont think its something that xbox needs to worry about thougj. Hardware sales will drive gamepass community in japan.

True, but this is partially due to Sony doing exclusive deals. They’ve done well with them, but there is an added consequence of removing more investment into retail. It has hurt themselves also because while they benefit from paying to prevent a competitor from gaining traction, Nintendo gets the same benefit for free making it easier for them to dominate. For example FF16 Xbox and PS together would have been a stronger retail presence than PS5 alone (against the Switch).

Now I’m not saying MS should necessarily chase retail sales. Just saying that charting would be a strong indicator of health and a good for their image with Japanese developers and publishers.

Japanese devs and publishers though are moving away from that and prefer Digital. Hence why theyre putting most of their added content onto digital.

I just don’t think MS gains anything by pushing physical when sales are that low and will continue to stay low especially when you consider Series S doing really well. MS have hit on something good and should focus on that. 6 years ago i’d have agreed with you on getting more physical games but its something out of their control in regards to getting 3rd parties doing physical games.

Another reason Switch does well physical is their digital solution is still garbage with poor storage system. If Switch has a base model that came with 256GB storage and affordable storage up to 1TB…physical sales on switch would also be down.

I have no idea if it’s possible because of EA but if I’m Phil and co., I’m moving heaven and earth to get it Day 1 GP…

That game will move consoles and GP subs like crazy….

1 Like

The 10 hour trial will be included and a 10% discount. It will also go into Gamepass around New Years that year.

I’d say they should partner with EA and do a sports edition/ bundle.

1 Like

Supposedly some NPD Leaks from AquaMarine on InstallBase about NPD numbers.

Since Microsoft doesn’t give anyone console sales numbers, the US NPD numbers are likely off by a good amount considering how many months Microsoft has been readily selling stock directly on their website. I’m unsure if Sony provides direct sales numbers to any companies like NPD as well.

Anywhere here’s the leaked numbers from this year:

PS5 US NPD HW:

• Jan-22: 369K
  • Feb-22: 128K
  • Mar-22: 282K
  • Apr-22: 234K
  • May-22: 119K
  • 2022 Year To Date: 1,132K

XBX US NPD HW:

• Jan-22: 307K
  • Feb-22: 261K
  • Mar-22: 489K
  • Apr-22: 267K
  • May-22: 177K
  • 2022 Year To Date: 1,501K

NPD LTD: PS5 @ 7,395K, Xbox Series @ 6700K

3 Likes

I think XS sold more consoles in US by this time. But we will see - I think Satya will announce during the call. Not the numbers but probably something like “Xbox has the biggest market share” or whatever. After all he mentioned “growing market share” last time.

Where and when is this stuff leaked? Can’t find anything on tweeter yet

So much drama would be on tweeter because of this :yum:

Install base, pretty much the only forum (and I would say place) where you can talk about video game sales without console warring.

So Satya was right. Xbox gained market share these past months. Lets hope xbox numbers for June are also good when NPD releases the report this wednesday.

3 Likes
  1. Ps5

2. Xbox.

3. Switch

But they were pretty close.

Hm, 31% in comparison to the previous month?

Yes MoM

Im surprised at the flat growth ps5 had. By looking at the drops on twittet I expected it to be far higher.

By revenue or unit sales?

Unit sales month ovet month.

1 Like

In Japan :

Hardware Sales

Switch OLED – 43,789

Switch – 28,063

Switch Lite – 12,429

PS5 – 20,028

PS5 Digital Edition – 4,333

Xbox Series X – 9,756

Xbox Series S – 2,774

New 2DS LL – 214

PS4 – 15

Biggest Xbox Series weeks ever for the country, massive amount of Series X.

4 Likes

Sony has become more aggressive with Playstation sales there. Guess they really did not like the headlines.

1 Like

Good news is theres 20K more PS5s in the scalper market…

4 Likes

That’s very much like them. No way they want any momentum to be shared with anyone.

1 Like

Does anybody has that updated chart with Xbox sales comparison?