Video Game Market Analysis Thread

More NA only promotions. XD

2 Likes

Thank you for that. The tweet lists old generation consoles they are stop dealing with, PSP, PS1, PS2, GBA, and Xbox. I found the response tweet here:

https://twitter.com/marcos27pr/status/1445006500871692288?s=19

1 Like

These companies all measure their revenue gain per ad $ spent. So they know how effective or otherwise the various avenues are. Itā€™s not like they just make it up.

Not about the funds itā€™s about how effective it is. I also think gamepass as a concept isnā€™t easy to advertise in 30 seconds. Netflix didnā€™t advertise much did they? Not that I remember seeing anyway.

1 Like

Iā€™m not sure about Netflix but Spotify, HBO and Disney+ have done/does it.

Itā€™s not like these companies donā€™t commit mistakes, marketing wise MS has always had many misses.

Anyway, concerning Xbox, they are still marketing with much less funds outside anglosphere, certainly less than Windows, XD https://twitter.com/MicrosoftUAE/status/1445072333392207878?s=20

2 Likes

but donā€™t xbox make/sell digital cards ? they can make a deal both end can profit from it

Xbox series launch had similar marketing stunts didnā€™t it?

There is a difference between a conversation about targeting regions and their advertising strategy. I think in general MS have decided that traditional advertising doesnā€™t do much for them.

I said explicitely they market things well within anglosphere andā€¦thatā€™s it.

Concerning traditional advertising vs their ā€œorganicā€ shit, I honestly think itā€™s a cost saving choice, Iā€™m not really convinced it is as effective as Sony marketing for example.

2 Likes

With even Nintendo embracing cloud versions of games, going a step beyond digital games, I wonder how the retail market will react. Maybe theyā€™ll be alright with it since they can still sell the kid targeted AmiiBos or other profit friendly accessories? Or maybe digital redemption cards?

Thereā€™s still pockets of console warriors clutching at the physical only sales numbers, but its just a matter of time before thatā€™s gone entirely.

1 Like

Yes, unlike other thing that have seen revolutions in digitalisation like books for example, physical games have 0 worth/use other than as collectibles maybe.

More US only promotions, there is one each new day, lol. I think this subject is much more important than useless (for actual Xbox customers) Nintendo collabsā€¦IDK how they could be so narrow minded to think world ends outside NA or, in the best case, with good old UK dominions.

3 Likes

Consoles are DRM infested nightmares, so I get why people would prefer to have physical versions for that reason. For PC, digital has been the standard for over a decade cuz of the open ecosystem anyway, plus games that release for PC are gonna have the best shot at being preserved long term.

OKAY WE GET IT PHIL, YOU LIKE DESTINY 2.

Like Destiny 2 isnā€™t even an Xbox franchise, why include it on the packaging?

Gears of War would have made more sense, or a Forza car, or SOMETHING.

This is why the whole ā€œ3 billion gamersā€ thing Xbox talks of seems like such an empty ideal to me, there are so many things they gotta work on before they even start to penetrate these non western markets, itā€™s crazy.

4 Likes

Itā€™s not even ā€œwestern marketsā€, itā€™s ā€œnot anglo-american marketsā€, lol, a subset within a subset.

4 Likes

Maybe on the 20th anniversary of Xbox Phil announce that Bungie has been reacquired Xbox very 1st first party studio comes back home would not shock me at all if something crazy like that happen.

I was just wondering why Destiny was on the packaging.

The Same Destiny Bungie made timed deals with PS and kept content away from Xbox. I understand it was more Craptivisions doing but still. When Bungie left that Sack of shite publisher they didnā€™t exactly do exclusive content for Xbox did they. Not that I care or have ever cared about Destiny but it has a huge install base on Xbox(my brother played it a lot) but was pissed off there was 2 year delay on added content.

Not that I care for Trolli or Destiny. I donā€™t like the idea of neglecting your own IPā€™s in favour of 3rd party ones.

On top of it: Trolli is a german company, and still this is another us-only thing.

3 Likes

This promotion is valid for every Xbox Live country, very well. Unfortunately this is the exception, not the rule, expecially fort 1st party games.

1 Like