Video Game Market Analysis Thread

Theyre selling consoles despite lack of major first oarty software

Crazy

1 Like

Weekly Famitsu Software Sales (physical only)

1. [NSW] Pokemon Scarlet / Violet – 310,235 / 3,424,806

2. [NSW] Splatoon 3 – 38,922 / 3,446,399

3. [NSW] Mario + Rabbids Sparks of Hope – 17,647 / NEW

4. [NSW] Minecraft – 11,005 / 2,877,634

5. [NSW] Mario Kart 8 Deluxe – 10,519 / 4,928,165

6. [NSW] Nintendo Switch Sports – 9,211 / 793,064

7. [NSW] u-Gi-Oh! Rush Duel: Dawn of the Battle Royale!! Let’s Go! Go Rush!! – 7,396 / NEW

8. [NSW] Super Smash Bros. Ultimate – 5,787 / 5,021,094

9. [NSW] Mario Party Superstars – 4,579 / 1,072,681

10. [PS5] Horizon Forbidden West – 4,444 / 116,777

Hardware Sales

Switch – 152.284 (27.229.302)

PlayStation 5 – 27.835 (2.219.252)

PlayStation 4 – 4.211 (9.404.084)

Xbox Series X|S – 1.854 (394.852)

3DS – 111 (24.596.902)

Not much to say about the software side. Some games that haven’t been in the top 10 for a while have come back, must be Christmas gifts.

Xbox’s holiday boost looks to be over already lol, back to normal. PS4 seems to be clearing out back stock that retailers were saving for holidays.

Jim Ryan personally apologized to Japanese audiences on Playstation Awards for bad PS5 stock to Japan for a while and said they have done changes to fix this, so I’m not gonna expect anymore Xbox > PS5 weeks lol.

1 Like

The Switch sale makes me question, who hasn’t got one by this point? Almost feels like it covered the population.

1 Like

A bit over 20% of Japan’s population has a Switch yeah. Still plenty who don’t though, so still plenty to sell to lol

Another thing is that kids born in 2017 have become sentient enough to enjoy getting a Switch as a gift now lol

1 Like

Not going to lie, I thought the population was low.

Oh yeah, Horizon Forbidden West in the top 10. Bundled game for this week looks like.

Here is where these bundle games are ending up:

2 Likes

Damn. Lol. Thanks for the explanation.

“Who do you want me to sign it for?”

“Ebay?”

“That’s a popular one!”

Handhelds have more sales opportunities than regular consoles. For example parents with multiple kids might buy one PS5 or XBX for the kids to share (on one TV), alternatively they might buy a Switch for each kid. The handheld nature of the Switch also means it gets more abuse during travel, or it gets lost/stolen meaning having to buy another.

1 Like

Lego StarWars really did make bank this year.

Yep. Over 10M sales imo.

1 Like
1 Like

I honestly thought the Xbox Series S BF sale would drive a lot more units, I mean it was a great deal you could get for ~$200 net after gift card offers too. Whats weird is that in terms of revenue, not units, they were third. That means a $200 switch lite and a $300 Switch docked sold so many more units that their revenue was higher than what MS made with their $500 and $250 XSX.

They are giving AAA games away with a cheap subscription and sold a console for like $200 last month. We are seeing more and more proof that subscription services are not the killer apps they are hyped up to be.

Starfield and the rest may give Xbox a decent boost but, to me, it feels like they have two upcoming issues. Game Pass is not a killer app and the Xbox brand, even with all the value and goodwill, is well below the other two game giants.

Either way, not a good look. The XSS was $250 with a $50 gift card at target. Shouldve cleaned up.

1 Like

It’s going to take time to build up that market/mind share. I think they’re on a good path.

I personally don’t think Xbox will ever surpass PlayStation in the console space unless they have a disaster worse than the PS3.

Mobile, Cloud and PC is where they need to capitalize. There’s so much more growth on PC that they haven’t tapped into yet. The problem is, PC Gamepass just hasn’t really taken off yet.

It’s not really weird. SX is still massively supply constrained so people wanting that still need stock. SS sold well in the offer period but beyond that what incentive is there to push loads of units with no big software simultaneously launching?

The fact is that series consoles have sold incredibly well the X is still supply constrained and the S is probably reaching saturation point in some markers without some bigger games that are coming next year.

Being cheap doesn’t mean much if you don’t have big games to go with it

Lack of Starfield hurt it’s potential big time this year

Xbox selling a decent amount of systems despite a very dry year 1st party wise.

Game Pass. And it proves one again that third parties sell the consoles.

1 Like

Imagine being beat by a $500 console with your $200 console which is more than 2.5x the price of your product, in your home turf where the demand of your product is the highest than any other country aside from the UK.

This looks bad for MS no matter how you slice it, especially in the current economical market “recession”. Things are looking bleak for the Xbox outside of the US and UK.

They’ll be fine. At the end of the day it’s about how close xbox can get to ps not about who sells more.