UPDATED/RUMOR: Microsoft Possibly Closing The 360 Marketplace in May 2023

Originally published at: UPDATED: A Select Number of Xbox 360 Games to Be Delisted from the 360 Marketplace Next Week - XboxEra

UPDATE 2/2/2023: The Xbox 360 Marketplace will be shutting down according to an Xbox Support article. The article in question currently links to the titles that are being delisted on the 7th of February, but when you search for “Xbox 360 Marketplace” on the Xbox Support website, you are greeted with this:

It has not been confirmed by Microsoft yet if this is truly happening, but it would still be wise to get whatever it is you want off the 360 Marketplace just in case.

UPDATE: A Microsoft spokesperson has told Gematsu that the delistings will affect the Xbox 360 Marketplace only and that any purchaseable title current on the Xbox One and Series store will remain. Full quote and source below:

“Beginning on February 7, 2023, a limited set of games, add-ons, and in-game content will no longer be purchasable in select markets via the Xbox 360 Store,” a Microsoft spokesperson told Gematsu. “These titles will no longer be purchasable on the Xbox 360 Store only, and titles that are available to be purchased on the Xbox One and Xbox Series X|S Stores will remain purchasable. You will still be able to play discs or previously downloaded games on your Xbox 360 and modern consoles if they are backwards compatible titles. For more information on the games impacted in your region, visit here.”

Via Gematsu

ORIGINAL STORY: Xbox Support has issued a notice for the Xbox 360 marketplace regarding several game delistings across all supported Live regions. This includes a number of titles from Assassin’s Creed, some Star Wars, DAYTONA, Jet Set Radio, and more. And while this update is regarding the Xbox 360 store, it will very likely also impact availability on the Xbox One and Series storefront, so it’s a good idea to look through the list(s) and buy anything you’ve been holding off.

The delistings will occur on the 7th of February, 2023. You can click here to go to the Xbox Support page regarding the removals.

2 Likes

USA list of possible removals:

1. Aegis Wing
  2. Assassin’s Creed Brotherhood
  3. Assassin’s Creed® III
  4. Assassin’s Creed® IV
  5. Assassin’s Creed®
  6. Liberation HD
  7. Blood of the Werewolf
  8. Blue Dragon
  9. Breakdown
  10. Call of Duty: Advanced Warfare
  11. Call of Duty: Ghosts
  12. Castle Crashers
  13. Cloning Clyde
  14. Counter-Strike: GO
  15. Dark Souls™
  16. Darksiders II
  17. DAYTONA USA
  18. Defense Grid
  19. Eets: Chowdown
  20. Far Cry® 2
  21. Final Fight: DblImpact
  22. Iron Brigade
  23. Jeremy McGrath’s Offroad
  24. Jet Set Radio
  25. Left 4 Dead
  26. Left 4 Dead 2
  27. LIMBO
  28. Lost Odyssey
  29. Mass Effect 2
  30. MONOPOLY DEAL
  31. Mutant Blobs Attack
  32. N+
  33. Outpost Kaloki X
  34. Peggle ® 2
  35. Phantom Breaker:Battle Grounds
  36. Prince of Persia
  37. R.U.S.E.
  38. Sega Vintage Collection: Alex Kidd & Co.
  39. Skate 2
  40. South Park™: The Stick of Truth™
  41. Spelunky
  42. Splinter Cell Conviction
  43. Star Wars Battlefront
  44. Star Wars KOTOR 2
  45. The Orange Box
  46. The Raven Episode 1
  47. The Witcher 2

Note: RUSE has been delisted in the USA for a while last time I checked. Thankfully I have that game on disc.

3 Likes

I think it’s unlikely that these titles will be delisted from the new store as well-- if they were, it would have said that instead of specifying the 360 Marketplace.

HOWEVER-- not all of the games on the list are available on the new version of the store, even though they’re BC. Games like Left 4 Dead, Orange Box, and Daytona USA.

Those are the ones that people need to buy now if they want to own them, because unless something changes, once they’re off the 360 Marketplace there will be nowhere else to get them.

2 Likes

Do you need a 360 to buy from the 360 Marketplace or can you do so online?

You can do so online.

https://marketplace.xbox.com/en-us/Product/Left-4-Dead/66acd000-77fe-1000-9115-d80245410830

as an example

3 Likes

Why even are there games that are only available on the old store? Why havn’t they all been enabled to be on the new store like LO and Blue Dragon for example

2 Likes

I’ve wondered that for a long time!

It seems like it could be a weird rights issue, since it affects several Valve games that were all available on the old store only.

But then you had the Assassin’s Creed series, which were all available on the new store except for Brotherhood, which was only on the old store. So who knows!

Yeah it’s a bit weird

Thankfully pretty much all the ones I care about on the list I already have

Ethan Gach just tweeted that a Microsoft spokesperson confirmed that this only affects the old Xbox 360 Marketplace. Nothing is being delisted from the modern storefront.

Which… is exactly what the notice already said, but I guess it’s nice to have some extra confirmation.

4 Likes

Yep Gematsu confirms it too

Beginning on February 7, 2023, a limited set of games, add-ons, and in-game content will no longer be purchasable in select markets via the Xbox 360 Store,” a Microsoft spokesperson told Gematsu. “These titles will no longer be purchasable on the Xbox 360 Store only, and titles that are available to be purchased on the Xbox One and Xbox Series X|S Stores will remain purchasable.

5 Likes

Some good games on that list. I have to buy Splinter Cell Conviction this Friday along with Deniable Ops expansion. Love that game!!!

I am copying and pasting a comment from Reddit user u/Sascha2022 that lists the games that are not going to be purchasable in the future:

List of games that will be removed from the xbox 360 marketplace and aren`t available to digitally purchase as backwards compatible games, as native versions or as remasters on xbox one and xbox series x/s:

Blood of the Werewolf

Counter-Strike: GO

DAYTONA USA

Defense Grid

Final Fight: DblImpact (Available in Capcom Beat 'Em Up Bundle)

Iron Brigade

Jeremy McGrath’s Offroad

Jet Set Radio

Left 4 Dead

Left 4 Dead 2

Mutant Blobs Attack

Prince of Persia (2008)

R.U.S.E.

Sega Vintage Collection: Alex Kidd & Co.

Skate 2

Spelunky

The Orange Box

All these games are backwards compatible on xbox one or xbox series x/s, but you have to purchase them digitally before they get delisted on the xbox 360 marketplace or use the original disc to play them.

Personally I’m going to finally get RUSE, Orange Box, Prince of Persia, Jet Set Radio and Spelunky.

1 Like

Splinter Cell will be fine. That’s not to say you shouldn’t buy it :smile: but no rush on that one.

1 Like

Is it 360 only or xbox one as well?

Most of these games will still be purchaseable on the X1 store. Some will not though.

Don’t miss out on Spelunky people, one of the best indie games ever

Far better than the sequel

1 Like

I bought most of these games when they were on sale years back and redeemed others when they were GWG. I haven’t been able to buy anything from the 360 Marketplace I think from 2020 or 2021 because my purchases don’t work, luckily they moved the OG Xbox and 360 to the new storefront so it didn’t bother me too much. Looks like I need to buy The Orange Box and maybe Skate 2 and the Left 4 Dead games. I’ll try again with my laptop this weekend.