Update on EA Play: Coming to Xbox Game Pass for PC in 2021 - Xbox Wire

When we originally set out to write this blog post, which would announce the availability of EA Play on PC with Xbox Game Pass, it looked a little bit different. Unfortunately, what had been a celebratory post is now one asking for a little more patience: We made the decision to delay until 2021 the release of EA Play on PC as part of the Xbox Game Pass for PC and Ultimate memberships.

We established this partnership with Electronic Arts because they are as passionate as we are about helping people and communities discover great games, and we knew we could provide a great experience for members by working together. In order to deliver on that, we need more time to provide the Xbox Game Pass experience.

We’ll have more to share early next year; as always, we appreciate your support as we work to deliver this experience for our Xbox Game Pass members. Stay tuned for more information.

I wonder what went wrong

Yeah. Must’ve been something with the tech to connect XGP to the EA desktop app…

2 Likes

How odd. This is a kick in the pants for people who were hoping to play these over the holidays, I guess. I get the impression that PC game pass-only people aren’t as pleased with it as the people in the other two tiers as well.

2 Likes

There are rumors MS is unifying it’s store across Xbox and PC. Maybe this was delayed for that?

Either way, bit of a bummer.

Most likely a handshake problem between the GamePass PC App and EA Origin/Play launcher.

If you look at EA Origin, it hasn’t even been updated to allow signin via Xbox Live, so that’s one problem.

Then trying to maintain the handshake between GamePass App and EA Origin is probably another.

Also have to imagine it’s trying to make sure people understand that in order to play Sims 4, you have to download EA Origin, login then download that version of Sims 4. Sounds like a logistical hurdle.

It’s easier on Steam because there are native Steam versions of EA Games, but there is no “native” Windows store versions of EA Games.

Hopefully it’s a quick fix.

1 Like

Sounds reasonable… But shouldn’t this have been, I don’t know… tested before today?

1 Like

They likely estimated they’d have a fix before now. Not everything goes as planned. Not all attempted fixes function correctly. As testing and fixing moved along they likely discovered deeper issues requiring more drastic changes than either side figured.

Yeah, I guess I’m more annoyed about even setting release dates of things when it’s not even working yet. Easy to avoid bad pr like this.

1 Like

It’s just something I’ve gotten used to at this point.

You have my sympathy. If you wouldn’t mind my asking: You just have PC Game Pass and not Ultimate, is that right? Would you be interested in upgrading your membership when streaming to PCs comes? Just curious.

1 Like

I kind of was very disappointed but not really pissed off. Was really looking to play Jedi Fallen Order.

will definitely do so, but xcloud isn’t available in my country to begin with, so no luck there haha. However, buying ultimate just for streaming is gonna be bit of a waste as most things in it that are part of that come with default gamepass anyway (free online which is more so because it’s a standard on PC, and whenever EA play is ready, that). But 5 dollars more if the latency and experience is great is very reasonable.

I feel like Standard Console gamepass is the worst of the bunch so I feel for those guys more who neither got free online nor ea play. But at least they do get all the AAA third parties which simply skip PC or come much later.

The ultimate dope thing would be xcloud getting decoupled from game pass altogether, Geforce Now style where you can stream the games you own in the library and not rely on rotating titles on gamepass (third party wise).

But yeah, xcloud when it arrives here, I will definitely check it out, whether it be by upgrading to Ultimate or having it detached from Gamepass altogether. If I get a console by then, it’d be a good all around experience, but until then, this shall have to be it, I guess.

1 Like

Thank you for your comprehensive answer! I appreciate your perspective, and I also hope that the streaming aspect expands to our personal libraries.

1 Like

ESP2r_bUUAAcgTs

1 Like